Mark Levinson No. 5101 Networking Super Audio CD Player

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
At the recent High End show in Munich, Mark Levinson introduced a new “integrated audio media player” called the No. 5101. Expected to launch in the fourth quarter of 2019, the No. 5101 is a CD/SACD player with built-in network streaming capabilities, digital inputs and outputs, and a “PrecisionLink II” DAC section derived from the company’s 5000 series integrated amplifiers. The new player is expected to sell for $5,500, making it one of the least expensive products in the current Mark Levinson lineup. Read on to learn more.

levinson.jpg

Read: Mark Levinson No. 5101 Networking SACD Player Preview

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So there aren't optical disc players below the Oppo 205 (or 203?) level that are capable of playing cds as well as others like SACD? What? Many Sony bluray players can do this quite well....for a lot less than even an Oppo, let alone the pricier version.....

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I have a Sony Blu-ray player that plays all disc formats and all audio file formats.

It looks good and sounds good too. And it's lightweight.

I spent a fortune though. $189.00 delivered. :eek:

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
You boys aren't in Harman's target market for the Levinson stuff. You're probably happy about that, and I'm guessing Harman is too. ;)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
So there aren't optical disc players below the Oppo 205 (or 203?) level that are capable of playing cds as well as others like SACD? What? Many Sony bluray players can do this quite well....for a lot less than even an Oppo, let alone the pricier version.....
But those SONY players don't play DVD-A (DVD Audio) discs, so they cannot be considered as universal players like the OPPO's.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But those SONY players don't play DVD-A (DVD Audio) discs, so they cannot be considered as universal players like the OPPO's.
What DVD-A discs? :) Forgot about that as don't have any....but don't think the Levinson does any dvd or bluray disc so its not a universal player to begin with.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You boys aren't in Harman's target market for the Levinson stuff. You're probably happy about that, and I'm guessing Harman is too. ;)
LOL could care less if I'm in the Levinson marketing scheme, not interested in anything they're offering. $5k for a cd player is a joke. I do have Harman products tho and Harman is probably happy about that.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Mine does. SACD, DVD-A.

The catch? The RCA analog outs are 2-channel only unlike the OPPO which is multi-channel. Oh well.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Mine does. SACD, DVD-A.

The catch? The RCA analog outs are 2-channel only unlike the OPPO which is multi-channel. Oh well.
The output jacks are irrelevant as to the possibility of playing DVD-Audio discs. This feature has do do with the playback hardware circuitry. In addition, some DVD-A'a have only 2 channels playback.
I think that you never tried to play a DVD-A on your player.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
There is only one SONY player that will handle DVD-A discs, and it is the UHP-H1.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
According to everything I’ve seen, the 2019 X800m2 does. :)
Well, that is good news. It looks like Sony has finally abandoned the war against the DVD-A format. There had always been some competition between the SACD and DVD-A formats. Both provide high resolution audio, but the DVD-A is a more versatile format as ordinary DVD-R or DVD+R versions can be used to record it.

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
There is only one SONY player that will handle DVD-A discs, and it is the UHP-H1.
False. There are other Sony Blu-ray player models that support playback of DVD-A discs as well.

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I didn't say that I knew.
But your answer in post #8 does not explain or prove how your Sony player handles DVD-A discs. What is the model of your player?
Well I don't have to explain or prove to you how the machine plays certain discs. The ability is built-in through the hardware circuitry from the manufacturer.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like the $240 Sony UBP-X800, and $300 UPB-X800M2 will play DVD-A , and their $600 ES UBP-X1000ES.
False. There are other Sony Blu-ray player models that support playback of DVD-A discs as well.
You are both right and I apologize for the conflict. I was mislead by info on the web. Sony doesn't seem to openly publish much info about their player models that will handle the DVD-A format when you check on Google.
That playback feature is rather recent with their products. They probably decided to fill a gap since OPPO discontinued production of their universal players. That is a wise decision and an important selling point to attract audiophiles who have both SACD and DVD-A discs

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I recently purchased a Sony UBP-X800 and the only DVD-A which I tried to play with it was one that I had burnt. It's message is: "Unable to play this disc"
Following that, I figured that it wouldn't play any DVD-A. The real situation is that it won't play all DVD-A discs.
But my OPPO BDP-95 plays it without a hitch.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Is Audioholics going to get one to test out? I would like to see a review of it with performance tested before I would even think of spending $$$$.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis