Mark Levinson No. 5101 Networking Super Audio CD Player

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I recently purchased a Sony UBP-X800 and the only DVD-A which I tried to play with it was one that I had burnt. It's message is: "Unable to play this disc"
Following that, I figured that it wouldn't play any DVD-A. The real situation is that it won't play all DVD-A discs.
But my OPPO BDP-95 plays it without a hitch.
Then send it back. Either get a replacement unit or a refund.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Getting back to the original topic of this thread:

Thank you Gene, that new Mark Levinson player looks like a gorgeous machine and I'm sure it's well-built.

It will perform well and look nice in someone's living room.

O

osideT

Audiophyte
The 5101 is probably more than I'll spend, but I'm starting to look at full-featured DAC/CD/Streamer combos. As things are going, I think DACs (or streamers or whatever word you want to say first) will start to take the place of pre-amps in digital systems. I'll always keep my analog system, but I'm thinking about getting a more dedicated digital system to sit next to it. Which brings to some questions about the 5101:

Does anyone know if it has a hard drive on-board? I know you can connect one, but ideally, I'd want a TB or more on board. One main feature I want is proving to be difficult to find and that is for the device to be able to rip CDs/DVDs, etc. into FLAC or other lossless files to the hard drive, whether on-board or by hooking up my pc or external HD. Did anyone see if the 5101 can rip? I've seen a few that can do this and I want the ability to digitise all of my CDs. I went through my collection once around 2002 or so and ripped every CD I had with an old 8x cd-rom in a PC. Of course, back then hard drives weren't very big and there weren't a lot of file types to choose from, which means the project that consumed a few weekends 15 years ago is all on low bit rate mp3 files (aka worthless unlistenable junk) and I need to do it over again. Having rip capability in one of these ALL-in-ones is essential imho.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
This thread is hilarious. Let's start with the idea of a $5500 media player in the year 2019. I dunno, it just seems woefully out of place. I think Levinson understands their target market perfectly though. For those in their sphere of influence, it will probably sell like high priced hotcakes. Cooked by a personal chef of course.

I solved this problem of a "universal" player because that ego maniac Steve Jobs decided that Apple products would not play blu-ray discs. Not under his watchful eye. What's an Apple centric guy to do when the fruit in chief decides you can't watch something? Solve the problem yourself. For about $100 bucks (I don't remember actually) I bought a USB attached ASUS blu-ray player that plays every single type of disc I have installed in it. Throw in a little software (not from the fruit in chiefs company) and I can do pretty much do what I like with whatever discs I lay my hands on.

I won't go in to the "well, it won't play this type of disc" nonsense. If the disc is that odd, well, I guess I'm gonna solve that problem when I run in to it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Those speakers seem to go right with the electronics :)
The ones I talked about in the CAS 2019 thread? You betcha! :rolleyes:

Not knowing the specific drivers... I'm guessing just the cost of the all-Accuton drivers to be $4-5K for both speakers. F the Aluminum Chassis.:oops: I am curious about the XOs, though. ;)

Assuming those were one of a kind, Aurender probably paid $20-50K to have those built...
Just to show off how good their network streamers "sound!" :rolleyes:

LMFAO

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I think AH creates these threads as click bait. Or perhaps Gene just likes to amuse himself by watching everyone make fun of expensive electronics. I could believe either alternative.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Combing the elements of quantum level noise absorption with the ambient temperature near-superconductivity techniques of the vaunted IQSE V2 from Jack Bybee, you can create a superb power conditioner.

What manner of technobabble is that, exactly..?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Combing the elements of quantum level noise absorption with the ambient temperature near-superconductivity techniques of the vaunted IQSE V2 from Jack Bybee, you can create a superb power conditioner.

Yep, that technobabble can create a superb audiophool conditioner who gets to think he understands the principle and believes in some esoteric properties.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
*ahem
Hmm. Pardon me. *blushes
I'm gonna set this down and walk away.
https://www.moon-audio.com/aurender-a30-music-server.html
:cool:
There are days I just love this forum. These are two great posts. I think the basis of AH is well represented here.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
There are days I just love this forum. These are two great posts. I think the basis of AH is well represented here.
Love it!
$5K for the actual reason of this thread... is already a stupid amount of money... for something that most computers should be able to do with little fuss.
I ask: What am I missing?
When I was familiarizing myself with Aurender because they were exhibiting at the CAS this year, I said, "OK, cool, streamers, next please." I didn't pursue pricing.
When I learned the pricing after the show... :eek:o_O:(

My first car, a 1992 Ford Festiva L listed at just under $7K. I drove that for 17+yrs, replacing it in 2003 after the transmission failed.

I wonder how long the A30 will last... or, does it come with a lifetime supply of Coca... err... um...
cola? :):p:rolleyes:

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
My first car, a 1992 Ford Festiva L listed at just under $7K. I drove that for 17+yrs, replacing it in 2003 after the transmission failed.
:):p:rolleyes:
Your first car cost $7,000 bucks? Man are you a money-bags guy or what? :)
My son and I had this conversation just the other day after I sent him an article about a family in India where the oldest son drove his BMW in to a river because he wanted a Jaguar instead. BRAT SINKS BMW BECAUSE HE WANTED A JAGUAR

We talked about my first car. My first car was a 1962 Plymouth Valiant.
1962 Valiant.jpg

If you look in the dictionary under "piece of sh-i-t car", you'll find a picture of my first car.
In 1972 when I got it it cost me $300. My actual car didn't look anywhere as nice as the one in the photo. I drove that $300 car until the wheels literally fell off. Took about 6 months.

The extraordinary thing was I LOVED the freedom that car brought. I didn't necessarily love the car. But, it was my first car. It was what I could afford. The freedom of going anywhere I wanted when I wanted to go was intoxicating. It was a lovely feeling I remember all these years later. I knew there'd be lots more cars. This one was special however. My first one.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis