Canton Vento vs Chrono SL (models with ceramic tweeters)

C

chemist323

Audioholic Intern
You have plenty of space for bigger towers. I’d think the 896 is a no brainer.

also the fact that bookshelves will play as loud as you need them tois predicated on how loud you listen. A 150 watt speaker with only a 88db efficiency will only get to 108-110db before distortion or breaking. A 300-340 watt vento 896 will get much louder while taming distortion. Then again you’ll need a great amp go get to these high levels.

Of course room size and how far you sit from speakers matters too. Looks like from your pic it’s 12-15’ away. My chrono 518 sound great but they can’t fill a big room like my 896. Not to the levels I like at least.

If you don’t play high spl or reference levels a smaller tower or bookshelves get you there. To some 90-95db is loud enough and in that case even a cheaper denon avr will have enough juice to accomplish that.

hopefully that helps a little

if budget is most important get the chrono line. If you want the best canton get the reference. If you want the reference sound for cheaper get the vento line. If you’re really into movies the 866.2 center is the way to go.

Next thing you could do is lower that tv. Hahaha. Sorry I had to say something. Way too high and should be set where eyes at seated position are slightly above dead center.
Thanks for your help, i'm leaning more towards the 896 (budget is not a factor thankfully - gonna treat myself). the tv is a Panasonic viera VT60 that will likely get upgraded to a 75" next year so i'll def reposition. Thanks for the advice though, def feels a little high. Oh and i did read your comments on the 866.2 previously so I'm definitely planning on getting that center channel. Probably listening 60:40 or even 50:50 HT: music currently and i don't see that changing. Thanks again

C

chemist323

Audioholic Intern
Random question, was recommended GoldenEar tritons, anyone feel strongly about GEs vs canton or the Kef R900 before I buy? Thanks again. Feeling much more comfortable about the cantons though after doing research and hearing everyone’s opinion. Also planning on getting the 826.2 bookshelves as surrounds.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Chrono Sl line with ceramic tweeters looks like a nice upgrade. Even though many companies still use aluminum magnesium like focal and monitor audio. Actually some prefer the older tweeters to the ceramic ones. The ceramic is smoother and more rolled off than aluminum magnesium.
Focal uses Beryllium for there higher level speakers. I can't imagine who would prefer the older Al-Mg tweeters based on my experience with the Chrono 502.2. It is not a bad sounding tweeter, but if you have the opportunity to A-B switch instantly to the ceramic, it is a significant revelation. I think those that preferred the Al-Mg tweeter probably listened to them in different rooms where the room the Al-Mg was in accounts for the difference! They certainly could not have had familiarity with the sound of acoustic instruments being reproduced. But to each his own ... if someone is listening to electronic sounds I could see how the nature of the Al-Mg tweeter might be preferred. However, if the objective is accuracy, the Al-Mg are a decided step down.

The 596.2 is a great speaker but it’s much lighter than vento 896 due to cabinet and lower end components. Making people think they’re the same under values the vento line and is misleading. Now the newer SL has more in common with the other chronos but with an upgraded tweeter. Great combination in a beautiful speaker!
That is interesting!
Going to Canton's site, the Vento 826 and the Chrono SL-526.2 both weigh the same!
Yet, the Vento 896 is a full 30% heavier than the SL-596.2!
You might argue that the difference comes from the components, but the 6" bookshelf speakers have the same weight! It is hard to know what the facts are!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Random question, was recommended GoldenEar tritons, anyone feel strongly about GEs vs canton or the Kef R900 before I buy? Thanks again. Feeling much more comfortable about the cantons though after doing research and hearing everyone’s opinion. Also planning on getting the 826.2 bookshelves as surrounds.
@ematthews , were the GE Tritons or KEF among the speakers you auditioned/had?

C

chemist323

Audioholic Intern
Focal uses Beryllium for there higher level speakers. I can't imagine who would prefer the older Al-Mg tweeters based on my experience with the Chrono 502.2. It is not a bad sounding tweeter, but if you have the opportunity to A-B switch instantly to the ceramic, it is a significant revelation. I think those that preferred the Al-Mg tweeter probably listened to them in different rooms where the room the Al-Mg was in accounts for the difference! They certainly could not have had familiarity with the sound of acoustic instruments being reproduced. But to each his own ... if someone is listening to electronic sounds I could see how the nature of the Al-Mg tweeter might be preferred. However, if the objective is accuracy, the Al-Mg are a decided step down.

That is interesting!
Going to Canton's site, the Vento 826 and the Chrono SL-526.2 both weigh the same!
Yet, the Vento 896 is a full 30% heavier than the SL-596.2!
You might argue that the difference comes from the components, but the 6" bookshelf speakers have the same weight! It is hard to know what the facts are!
Kew any comments on goldear tritons or KEf R900s.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have heard neither.
For Kef, I have heard the LS50 and I would take the Canton tweeter over the top end of the Kef LS50's. Obviously, for full range the Canton is also better.

C

chemist323

Audioholic Intern
@ematthews , were the GE Tritons or KEF among the speakers you auditioned/had?
No unfortunately they were not. I had a friend who ended up going with B&W towers (higher ends but not sure of model) and says he regrets as he had considered the tritons previously. therefore he recommended i look into them and recommended over the cantons though he has admittedly not heard the cantons

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m not sure I would want towers. My Vento 836 pair really is really nice. I do wonder what the Reference 9.2 bookshelves have to offer. Maybe someday if I have a cash windfall. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
No unfortunately they were not. I had a friend who ended up going with B&W towers (higher ends but not sure of model) and says he regrets as he had considered the tritons previously. therefore he recommended i look into them and recommended over the cantons though he has admittedly not heard the cantons
ematthews is a member here who bought several towers and ended with a pair of Cantons and a pair of Focals. I'm not sure if you had read his posts and are speaking for him, or if you didn't understand that putting the @ symbol in front of a name notifies him of the post asking him the question (in response to your post).

Last edited:
C

chemist323

Audioholic Intern
ematthews is a member here who bought several towers and ended with a pair of Cantons and a pair of Focals. I'm not sure if you had read his posts and are speaking for him, or if you didn't understand that putting the @ symbol in front of a name notifies him of the post asking him the question (in response to your post).
Yeah my bad, I didn’t see the @ symbol til now

C

chemist323

Audioholic Intern
Goldenear make great gear for sure. They were on my short list when I auditioned several brands. I set up with my local dealers to sit down for a couple hours on each one. The reference center and triton reference were one I spent a few hours with. Being a sandy gross speaker design I was drawn to it. Especially coming from definitive bp7001, clr3000 and bpvx setup. Goldenear was great really full of life and very expressive. That also was the issue, lack of focus and boomy bass. Now it’s not like a a cheaper brand like Polk or something. Still incredible in many ways but was just lacking that center image where I felt like I could hear the stage. The Goldenear are great with all kinds of gear but they don’t scale like the canton, revel, monitor audio and some others I tried. Meaning the better the gear the better they’ll scale and just get better.

as for tweeters KEW to each their own really. The canton karat or older vento sound incredible still. They just need gear that’s softer sounding and not something sharp like a emotiva or anthem. Canton karat m60 I believe on a B&k is buttery smooth with great extension. The ceramic tweeters just work better with basic avrs. So really it all depends on what you like.

as far as weight it’s so hard to go off smaller bookshelves. The 536.2 is 17lbs and vento 836.2 is 19lbs. Cabinets are similar in size but vento is wider but has the curve. Definitely differences between the two.

kinda similar if I were saying 896 was the same as reference 5.2. Definitely different but different doesn’t mean better or worse just different. On some material I prefer my 518 over 896.
Thanks Timforhifi, really appreciate your input. glad to know you were able to compare the goldenears and cantons

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have the GE T2, excellent speakers!

But, I have never heard a Canton, and the only KEF I have heard was the Blade which is bada$$!

Tritons are likely a good choice, but I would rec going with one of the models without the built in "subs"/amps, I think it's the T5 that is the top end without the amps built in. Spend the saved $ on separate sub(s).

I absolutely trust KEWs judgment though! He has heard many, many more speakers than me and hasn't steered me wrong yet.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Goldenear make great gear for sure. They were on my short list when I auditioned several brands. I set up with my local dealers to sit down for a couple hours on each one. The reference center and triton reference were one I spent a few hours with. Being a sandy gross speaker design I was drawn to it. Especially coming from definitive bp7001, clr3000 and bpvx setup. Goldenear was great really full of life and very expressive. That also was the issue, lack of focus and boomy bass. Now it’s not like a a cheaper brand like Polk or something. Still incredible in many ways but was just lacking that center image where I felt like I could hear the stage. The Goldenear are great with all kinds of gear but they don’t scale like the canton, revel, monitor audio and some others I tried. Meaning the better the gear the better they’ll scale and just get better.

as for tweeters KEW to each their own really. The canton karat or older vento sound incredible still. They just need gear that’s softer sounding and not something sharp like a emotiva or anthem. Canton karat m60 I believe on a B&k is buttery smooth with great extension. The ceramic tweeters just work better with basic avrs. So really it all depends on what you like.

as far as weight it’s so hard to go off smaller bookshelves. The 536.2 is 17lbs and vento 836.2 is 19lbs. Cabinets are similar in size but vento is wider but has the curve. Definitely differences between the two.

kinda similar if I were saying 896 was the same as reference 5.2. Definitely different but different doesn’t mean better or worse just different. On some material I prefer my 518 over 896.
I have never heard "lack of focus" on my T2s. Back when I had the 50C, the imaging was so good on the T2 that it would easily trick you into thinking the CC was playing when in fact it was just 2CH.

And, as far as boominess, did you play with the gain knobs on the rear amp panel?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
as far as weight it’s so hard to go off smaller bookshelves. The 536.2 is 17lbs and vento 836.2 is 19lbs. Cabinets are similar in size but Vento is wider but has the curve. Definitely differences between the two.
It is apparent that there is a pretty high correlation between the size of the cabinet and the difference in weight. I don't see much to establish that difference as due to components when the 6" weighs the same.
I know you have Ventos, Where have you listened to the Chrono SL's with ceramic tweeters?

C

chemist323

Audioholic Intern
Thanks everyone for your help, finally placed my order on AC4L. Went with the Vento 896 towers, 866.2 center, and 816.2 for surrounds. Merry xmas to me! Approximately in 2004 I planned on getting some Boston acoustics towers but ended up going with an open box boston acoustics Micro 9000 system from Good guys. The center channel of that system is my current center LOL. Those speakers are still partially in use in the garage but now using Kef Q100 for fronts. I've waited all this time to get a true upgrade. I'm excited!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks everyone for your help, finally placed my order on AC4L. Went with the Vento 896 towers, 866.2 center, and 816.2 for surrounds. Merry xmas to me! Approximately in 2004 I planned on getting some Boston acoustics towers but ended up going with an open box boston acoustics Micro 9000 system from Good guys. The center channel of that system is my current center LOL. Those speakers are still partially in use in the garage but now using Kef Q100 for fronts. I've waited all this time to get a true upgrade. I'm excited!
Is that the Boston Acoustics system with cast aluminum cabinets? If so, those drivers were exceptional for the cost.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You’re right, the only speaker that weighs the same is the 6” bookshelves from both lines. All the others have a different weight for sure. I guess I can only say that how much lighter can you get at 13lbs? Both have really small cabinets and are meant for critical listening near field. Or maybe surrounds, again near field. That’s what I’d use them for at least. Really that’s just me, I like higher volumes to feel like I’m there. The regular chrono weigh the same too in the 6”. So it’s hard to determine weight as quality or similar components when they are so small.

im lucky enough to have a dealer two hours away that sells canton. So I’ve heard them all including the current lines. Like the new chrono 90, reference 5k, 896.2 and 596.2. They are great speakers indeed but as you move up you can hear the difference. Chrono 90 was really surprising honestly and I love the new bass port channel on reference line. Maybe I can get that for my 896. Hahaha

Really I’m not trying to say vento is better just because I own them. I’m just saying it because it’s true. That doesn’t take anything away from SL line at all. I believe 596.2 to be as good or better than the following speakers. Kef r, monitor audio silver, paradigm prestige, revel concerto, focal 936, and many more really. For $1300 a pair you’re getting speakers that beat or equal some $4000 sets of speakers. I even did comparisons on Sonus Faber venere s versus chrono 596.2 and it was damn close. Came down to content and preferences with highs. Again both were great and speakers are so subjective.

I obviously like canton and it was my choice when buying speakers but it can be totally different for someone else. Some with kef r11 could be thinking wtf really??? Better than mine no way. Lol. R11 are bad ass for sure and that one kef r is probably more comparable to vento 896. Really we're all lucky to be able to afford or own these higher end products.
Is that in the US?
Where? I travel a bit so can maybe work in a stop to check out a good Canton dealership with a full line-up!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
yes they had aluminum cabinets, heavy suckers too. Center channel pic attached. It was a 5.1 system in a box. I was amazed by them when I first tried them out.
If the others look like this one the are the same series, if not the model below. This were sitting in the closet so excuse the dust
Resizer_15778098138180.jpg

The tweeter was from the TOL series and the woofer I measured, was very good

C

chemist323

Audioholic Intern
If the others look like this one the are the same series, if not the model below. This were sitting in the closet so excuse the dust
View attachment 33033
The tweeter was from the TOL series and the woofer I measured, was very good
Very similar to those, they were the micro 90xII if I remember correctly. They weren’t ported though

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis