TechHDS

Audioholic General
I'm quite skeptical of this HD Vinyl.

You do realize that "vinyl" = "poly-vinyl chloride"?
Chloride is corrosive. However, most modern PVC will be stabilized with Organo-Metallic Tin (Sn).

So, we aren't really eliminating chemicals at the record itself. Perhaps eliminating chemicals from producing the masters, etc, though.
Then I just have to show up at the pressing Factory and use my cat burglar skills and just snatch the Master! I want that laser etched HD 180G Virgin Vinyl! Red preferably.:D
At my age what are the chances of finding anything that's Virgin :D besides 180g?:cool:
On more serious note guess We, us, more than a few of us will just have to wait and see if all the hype is worth the coin. The way I look at it, given that outside of the heavy vinyl, with the different translucent colors that are remastered Vinyls out now. Laser etching could be a game changer for us vinyl lovers..umm, cough, clears throat, analog.:p
Why the skepticism?. "Why try to hold back the tide with a broom. For fear of change." I'm going to tell Mr. Wallace you tried to kill me first." :p. I have Blade Runner 1st, sound track on 180g virgin vinyl translucent red. I can tell you without a doubt it's Miles ahead of your run of the mill skinny Vinyl, Less pops, clicks, tracks much better...ect So I will buy a few, I will judge for myself which is better if it's a waste of the coin. Knowing Me, I'll try to replace All my CD's with the HD laser etched 180g virgin vinyl translucent red. IT'S MY Hobby! :cool:.
PS, sure it's corrosive, why even mention chemicals? The Battery acid in your car battery is corrosive so is the chemicals in the batteries in remotes. I know one thing it won't hurt the diamond on my stylus. :D

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord

Kick 30 / 3CD+Blu-ray deluxe edition
CD 1 – ORIGINAL ALBUM REMASTERED
1. Guns In The Sky
2. New Sensation
3. Devil Inside
4. Need You Tonight
5. Mediate
6. The Loved One
7. Wild Life
8. Never Tear Us Apart
9. Mystify
10. Kick
11. Calling All Nations
12. Tiny Daggers
CD2 – DEMOS, MIXES & MORE
1. Move On [Guitar Version]
2. I’m Coming (Home)
3. Mediate [Live From America]
4. Never Tear Us Apart [Live From America]
5. Kick [Live From America]
6. On The Rocks
7. Do Wot You Do
8. Mystify [Chicago Demo]
9. Jesus Was A Man [Demo]
10. The Trap [Demo]
11. Guns In The Sky [Kick Ass Remix]
12. Need You Tonight [Mendelsohn Extended Mix]
13. Move On
CD3 – ADDITIONAL MIXES & B-SIDES
(tracks in bold, new additions compared to KICK 25)
1. Never Tear Us Apart [Soul Version]
2. New Sensation [Nick 12” Mix]
3. New Sensation [Nick 7” Mix]
4. Devil Inside [Extended Remix]
5. Devil Inside [7” Version]
6. Devil Inside [Radio Edit]
7. Different World [12” Version]
8. Different World [7” Version]
9. Need You Tonight [Big Bump Mix]
10. Need You Tonight [Ben Liebrand Mix]
11. Need You Tonight [Mendelsohn 7″ Edit]
12. Guns in the Sky [Kookaburra Mix]
13. Calling All Nations [Kids On Bridges Remix]
14. Shine Like it Does [Live]
BLU-RAY

1. Kick Mixed in Dolby Atmos & High Definition Audio
2. Promo Videos
Guns In The Sky
New Sensation
Devil Inside
Need You Tonight
Mediate
Never Tear Us Apart
Mystify
Kick [New 2017 promo]

Kick 30 / 2LP half-speed mastered vinyl
Side A
1 Guns in the Sky
2 New Sensation
3 Devil Inside
Side B
1 Need You Tonight
2 Mediate
3 The Loved One
Side C
1 Wild Life
2 Never Tear Us Apart
3 Mystify
Side D
1 Kick
2 Calling All Nations
3 Tiny Daggers

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I have that CD, bought by my wife when it was released way back when. I listen to it once in a while, my wife likes it more. Do we like it so much that we'd want to have all that? I dun thin so Lucy.

Last edited:
DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
Getting back into Vinyl I do like the 180g vinyl just for the weight alone.. And it seems to play better than the thin stuff..

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
What does "half-speed mastered vinyl" mean? Does one play it at 16.666 rpm? Or do you play it back at 66-2/3rds rpm?

Looking at the link to Amazon, I don't see any package that includes the LP's and anything else. Lotta dough for an LP alone. Yeah, I have a few 180g LP's and do like how flat they are. My TT, cartridge and phono amp are low level stuff so I can't tell much sound quality difference from my older stuff, other than being new it's clean of the pops and clicks.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
What does "half-speed mastered vinyl" mean? Does one play it at 16.666 rpm? Or do you play it back at 66-2/3rds rpm?

Looking at the link to Amazon, I don't see any package that includes the LP's and anything else. Lotta dough for an LP alone. Yeah, I have a few 180g LP's and do like how flat they are. My TT, cartridge and phono amp are low level stuff so I can't tell much sound quality difference from my older stuff, other than being new it's clean of the pops and clicks.
Here's a good link and an easy read that explains it all

http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/slowing-things-down-art-half-speed-mastering/

Half-speed masters is not a guarantee that the recording is going to be good.. Billy Joel released the "The Stranger" in a half speed master that was just dreadful. Hope this helps

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Getting back into Vinyl I do like the 180g vinyl just for the weight alone.. And it seems to play better than the thin stuff..
Generally yes but its no guarantee either. My thin pressing of Dire Straits "Love Over Gold" when new played better than a brand new 180gm pressing of the same album.

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
Here's a good link and an easy read that explains it all

http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/slowing-things-down-art-half-speed-mastering/

Half-speed masters is not a guarantee that the recording is going to good.. Billy Joel released the "The Stranger" in a half speed master that was just dreadful. Hope this helps
I Watched a Beatles Sgt Peppers special on BBC and was amazed a how they daisy linked multiple 4 track layered recordings to make the Sgt Peppers album.... Insane stuff on old equipment The video is to long to share here it just locks up

Last edited:
DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
You (and any audioholic) should really watch the PBS series "Soundbreaking". They discuss this album in depth, among other topics.
http://www.pbs.org/soundbreaking/home/
I cant find any short videos to post showing how they put four tracks on one tape feeding another 4 tracks on another tape and that feeding one more 4 track tape … I found the 1 complete hour show but it wont play here file to large.. Thanks for the feed

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Well it's been awhile BUMP just got myself a vintage dusty :p Pioneer PL-120 manual turntable from my local thrift shop for 12.99, so I'll be on this thread. I will need a new belt, headshell, cartridge and stylus.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That looks like it would be fascinating. I might give that series a shot.
Definite recommend. Had it on my old D* dvr I had to turn in so don't have it any more! Think they have it on Netflix currently?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Definite recommend. Had it on my old D* dvr I had to turn in so don't have it any more! Think they have it on Netflix currently?
Not on Netflix that I know of. I would have watched it already. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not on Netflix that I know of. I would have watched it already. :)
Wouldn't be surprised if I'm thinking about disc on Netflix since I use both of their services. According to my search with my Fire Stick it can be watched on Acorn TV - Prime Video Channel (7 day free trial offer) as well as Urban Movie Channel - Prime Video Channel (also a 7 day free trial offer).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nope, and upon further searching it's stubbornly hard to find without having to purchase it. I haven't exhausted all my options yet tho...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis