A

Audio geek

Audiophyte
Hey guys I’ve had my Pioneer VSX-822 for a few years now paired up with some JBL loft series speakers. Everything has been running smoothly until recently when I started to get some weird static in the speakers but the thing is that it only happens on certain shows and at certain parts. You can’t hear it on music and that sounds great still but it’s only really in certain higher frequencies that a sort of distortion comes out in the speakers. I’m not sure if it’s the receiver or the speakers them selves. Anyone have any ideas?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
If it doesn't happen on music, at least that's a good sign.
It could just be something on those particular shows you are speaking of. (bad recording or intentional ) What type of shows are you referring to exactly ? What programs ? Cable, movies, tv tuner ? Can you be a little more specific ?
Do you have or can you borrow another set of speakers to test this out and verify it's not your tweeters.
While there is always a chance it may be your AVR, I sort of doubt it, since you are having no issues with music.

A

Audio geek

Audiophyte
Hey thanks for the reply! I’ve been noticing it on certain shows on netflix. Some movies and some tv shows. I thought maybe it could be the tweeters but when the static comes out, it happens in both two fronts, center and two surrounds. I could look into other speakers to test.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What device is the source of Netflix? Maybe just try another input for that. Maybe delete & reinstall app....

A

Audio geek

Audiophyte
What device is the source of Netflix? Maybe just try another input for that. Maybe delete & reinstall app....
I’m running Netflix right from my Samsung smart tv. I’ll try and reinstall it on there and see if that does anything.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I’m running Netflix right from my Samsung smart tv. I’ll try and reinstall it on there and see if that does anything.
If you re-watch the shows, does the static occur at the same point? If it's repeatable, you can't do anything about it- it's in the source.

A

Audio geek

Audiophyte
Yeah it is repeatable. Just weird that it just started happening after I got my new tv but I’ll try rebooting Netflix and see what that does.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Yeah it is repeatable. Just weird that it just started happening after I got my new tv but I’ll try rebooting Netflix and see what that does.
So watching these same show's with your old tv and no issues. Only with the new tv that you start hearing this problem. You may want to check for a firmware update on the tv.

If no luck with a firmware update and reinstalling the apps. And you did not have this issue previously on your old tv. I would say time to contact the manufacturer for technical support.

A

Audio geek

Audiophyte
Ok great I’ll try some things out. Thanks for your help!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
New TV? Are you using arc? If so, try not using it and see if the static would go away.

A

Audio geek

Audiophyte
I tried checking everything. I am using optical at the moment but I tried HDMI with Arc and it all sounded the same. And yes new Samsung smart TV.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I tried checking everything. I am using optical at the moment but I tried HDMI with Arc and it all sounded the same. And yes new Samsung smart TV.
Would it do it in pure direct, and/or with no sound processing at all, just plain multi-channel stereo?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe share those particular programs/time stamps with us and see if we get the same results? I'd be willing....

A

Audio geek

Audiophyte
Sure thing. One is The Office and it’s season 2 ep 10 and it starts at 3:04. Next is the movie American Made and it starts at 42:12. Both on Netflix

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis