Why did plasma go extinct.??

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Lmao! I owned 2 of those babies. Junk.
Thanks for the information glad they Longer make projection tv then if picture quality sucked . Crt generally looked better imo , last few dlp high definition were impressive .
I’m in disbelief at the weight some tv 40” and bigger weighed 250 pounds and more . I saw one hdtv crt 40” it weighed 339 pounds.../ wtf ?

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
CRT was the king of certain things, but really, OLED has been compared to Kuro displays by those who have gone from one technology to the other, and in almost all areas they are comparable to each other. This isn't a small feat, and while I am a true fan of what Kuro brought to the table, I'm just as big of a fan of what OLED brings to the game. The super lightweight design and their price point makes them compete. The absolute stunning video they put out blends very well with their form factor to make them super appealing to the videophile group as well as to those who are at the higher end of the consumer spectrum.

I can't wait for LG to start rolling out the larger OLED panels. They have been teasing the 88" size for a while, and it really is long overdue now that we are seeing the 75" display fall into commodity price points and the 85" range dropping to under $3,000 pretty much everywhere. The competing OLED needs to come to market.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
CRT was the king of certain things, but really, OLED has been compared to Kuro displays by those who have gone from one technology to the other, and in almost all areas they are comparable to each other. This isn't a small feat, and while I am a true fan of what Kuro brought to the table, I'm just as big of a fan of what OLED brings to the game. The super lightweight design and their price point makes them compete. The absolute stunning video they put out blends very well with their form factor to make them super appealing to the videophile group as well as to those who are at the higher end of the consumer spectrum.

I can't wait for LG to start rolling out the larger OLED panels. They have been teasing the 88" size for a while, and it really is long overdue now that we are seeing the 75" display fall into commodity price points and the 85" range dropping to under $3,000 pretty much everywhere. The competing OLED needs to come to market.
Wow so bigger screen then kuro and half the price or lower?? Oled is new king so far , and eventually all will be 7.6k resolution or 8k”’

Free the reptile aliens

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

Wow so bigger screen then kuro and half the price or lower?? Oled is new king so far , and eventually all will be 7.6k resolution or 8k”’

Free the reptile aliens

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

How do retro gaming look on oled ? I was considering going Back to crt tv for my old games ps1 and stuff so I can play movies or shows and play ps1 at same time .

Free the reptile aliens

Last edited:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I don’t count the ones made for the super rich , I’m taking consumer marker and entry level or high level of tv under 5 grand.
Kuro was supposed to be one of the best tv
ever made , Samsung had good plasma too.
Why did they go extinct despite being superior to even today’s led ? And qled tv??
I was curious why this happened as my led tv is just a disappointing model not hardly any better then my 2011 40” Sony lcd and worse for dvd ?

Plasma had burn in issues originally but later fixed ?
Top contrast.
It might had struggled In Bright rooms though ?
R.I.P. all the dead tv technology along with plasma .

Free the reptile aliens
Production cost was higher, using glass screens made them much heavier, and limited screen sizes as a result.

I still have a 60" Samsung Plasma it works mostly fine (one of the hdmi ports failed), but I've started entertaining the idea of replace it with a larger screen.

I want a good TV picture, not as picky about video as I am audio. The new LED screens do the trick for me...I have a 65",and 55" LED 4k Sony sets which imo strike the perfect balance between price and performance. Slightly brighter, but I can live with the Samsung LED screen...OLED, QLED, etc...I just don't need to have the best picture...just a good picture.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Production cost was higher, using glass screens made them much heavier, and limited screen sizes as a result.
Well, keep in mind Panasonic had an 85", 103", and 150" plasma. Screen size certainly wasn't limited by the use of glass. But, PRICE was certainly impacted!!!

2channel lover

Well, keep in mind Panasonic had an 85", 103", and 150" plasma. Screen size certainly wasn't limited by the use of glass. But, PRICE was certainly impacted!!!
That much is true...I guess I was looking at it from an old brown goods buyer perspective...that was the very front end of plasmas...TVs on that scale were not in our stores ...

Those were cost prohibitive for most consumers...I remember 59” plasma TVs were big unit movers for plasmas.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
That much is true...I guess I was looking at it from an old brown goods buyer perspective...that was the very front end of plasmas...TVs on that scale were not in our stores ...

Those were cost prohibitive for most consumers...I remember 59” plasma TVs were big unit movers for plasmas.
Well, those were the days when 60" was a really big TV. Now, it's the 85" range that is the 'big' TV, and the 98" TVs which are out there are the stupid expensive ones.

Very much though, Panasonic was pushing the envelope with big screen TVs that were actually available and nobody that I know of has actually released a 150" or larger model since Panasonic did it. 98" is our standard go-to model for commercial installations when people demand a single 'large' TV.

Above that size and we would go to a direct view LED display which I've done at about a 13' diagonal (1080p) and a 19' diagonal (4K). Those are fun.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Well, those were the days when 60" was a really big TV. Now, it's the 85" range that is the 'big' TV, and the 98" TVs which are out there are the stupid expensive ones.

Very much though, Panasonic was pushing the envelope with big screen TVs that were actually available and nobody that I know of has actually released a 150" or larger model since Panasonic did it. 98" is our standard go-to model for commercial installations when people demand a single 'large' TV.

Above that size and we would go to a direct view LED display which I've done at about a 13' diagonal (1080p) and a 19' diagonal (4K). Those are fun.
Not sure what size would be considered ideal in the home when you factor in WAF for most people but for viewing Ice hockey, 75in would be better than 65in for sure. :)

2channel lover

IDK if you remember the Silo stores...I was a brown goods (audio/video) buyer for them...weird growth story to the chain...we had what I would call mom & pop store locations and our direct competition Circuit City had much nicer stores, bigger, and better locations. A British conglomerate named Dixons wanted into the US market for consumer electronics and appliances. They started acquiring small regional chains like Silo, and we ended up with 125+ stores in about 12 markets.

Our Pana sales guy wouldn't even show us an 80" TV. We had maybe 4 or 5 "highend" store locations, if a store manager had such a buyer we had a special order program...vendor direct to the store.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
IDK if you remember the Silo stores.
Honestly, I've never heard of them. I personally started with a high-end residential integrator, and we saw plenty of 42" to 60" displays, with 50" being the main size that were being installed at $10,000 or so a pop back in the very beginning. For me it was the beginning as well. A couple years later I moved to a Washington DC local chain called Myer-Emco which was pretty much all about high-end. It was fun with them for a couple of years as well. Pretty early in my career so I was job hopping to get significant pay increases. Throughout all of it I started as an AV programmer and engineer with basically ZERO background in AV at all. So, unlike many engineers that come in from installations, I came in from programming (accounting actually!) in a weird career twist early in life.

20 years later, Myer-Emco and that first company I started with are out of business. I've worked for several commercial integrators who have also gone belly up.

Strangely enough... within a few years of me leaving them. Not saying that me working for them causes them to go under, but I'm not saying my leaving doesn't. (ha!)

My love is projectors, but I try to stay on top of the video game at least. Way to many opinions on what makes up 'good' audio, so I just stick my head down and avoid most of those conversations. Give me a nice big sealed subwoofer with lots of power and some tower speakers and I'm generally very happy.

Rockin' my 85" Samsung LCD now in the family room with a 161" JVC front projector in the basement. Size matters!!!

2channel lover

Honestly, I've never heard of them. I personally started with a high-end residential integrator, and we saw plenty of 42" to 60" displays, with 50" being the main size that were being installed at $10,000 or so a pop back in the very beginning. For me it was the beginning as well. A couple years later I moved to a Washington DC local chain called Myer-Emco which was pretty much all about high-end. It was fun with them for a couple of years as well. Pretty early in my career so I was job hopping to get significant pay increases. Throughout all of it I started as an AV programmer and engineer with basically ZERO background in AV at all. So, unlike many engineers that come in from installations, I came in from programming (accounting actually!) in a weird career twist early in life.

20 years later, Myer-Emco and that first company I started with are out of business. I've worked for several commercial integrators who have also gone belly up.

Strangely enough... within a few years of me leaving them. Not saying that me working for them causes them to go under, but I'm not saying my leaving doesn't. (ha!)

My love is projectors, but I try to stay on top of the video game at least. Way to many opinions on what makes up 'good' audio, so I just stick my head down and avoid most of those conversations. Give me a nice big sealed subwoofer with lots of power and some tower speakers and I'm generally very happy.

Rockin' my 85" Samsung LCD now in the family room with a 161" JVC front projector in the basement. Size matters!!!
Lol...Silo went the way of the dinosaur in the early 90s...(actually bought out and name changed) we used the Circuit City store model (meaning commissioned salespeople) and they were way better at stock replenishment, and not selling the low margin bait advertised TV than we were. The BestBuy store model proved to have the longevity. You mentioned DC, in the northeast...Philly/So Jersey/Delaware had Silo stores.

Size does matter...speaking of...I'm ready to upgrade my old 60" plasma...honestly I'm struggling to pull the trigger.

I want to stay within budget on the TV so I can also afford a new music streamer.

75" Sony is the best picture imo for the max budget. ( I have 2 Sony 4k sets now, 65" and 55")

82" Samsung I can get for the same price, picture is bright, and colorful, but not as natural as the Sony picture.

From 13' away, the 82" gives me the presence I ideally want, but the 75" is plenty large enough.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

So why did Panasonic and pioneer leave tv market not profitable enough? Them and Samsung killed plasma by being discontinued.
Real shame but I guess led and oled are lighter , is this qled Thing just a led or lcd ?
What is a quantum dot and plasma did more colors without it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2channel lover

So why did Panasonic and pioneer leave tv market not profitable enough? Them and Samsung killed plasma by being discontinued.
Real shame but I guess led and oled are lighter , is this qled Thing just a led or lcd ?
What is a quantum dot and plasma did more colors without it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My opinion, but the production cost and margins killed Plasma TVs. For a long time I thought Pana was getting back into the flat panel business.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
There's an enormous crater (Chicxulub) in the Yucatan peninsula many believe to be evidence of a massive asteroid impact responsible for the extinction of a lot of species at the end of the cretaceous period...

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
There's an enormous crater (Chicxulub) in the Yucatan peninsula many believe to be evidence of a massive asteroid impact responsible for the extinction of a lot of species at the end of the cretaceous period...
I heard it was caused by aliens dropping a 500 inch CRT TV because they couldn't give it away to anyone.

Similarly the Tunguska event was caused because they couldn't give away a rear DLP projection TV once better technology came along, so they dumped a large one here.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Wasn’t DLP in the CRUSTaceous period?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My opinion, but the production cost and margins killed Plasma TVs. For a long time I thought Pana was getting back into the flat panel business.
Panasonic still makes TVs...just not for the US. They have an OLED set that looks excellent.

2channel lover

Panasonic still makes TVs...just not for the US. They have an OLED set that looks excellent.
I thought I'd read that somewhere they were still manufacturing TVs, but discounted it since I haven't seen any Pana TVs in stores. You just explained why.

Interesting they would pull out of the market that everyone else is fighting to get into.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis