Why can't a Windows PC transmit quality HDR to the screen?

Enthusiast

I have a Windows 10 64BIT, to this day despite the promises of Windows to fix the HDR plug
and updates, you can't get a proper HDR in Windows

I watch HDR movies through Ultra Blue Ray - it's just heaven and earth
HDR 10 looks amazing

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
What video card do you have? Only certain ones can pass HDR content

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
What video card do you have? Only certain ones can pass HDR content
Exactly. Has to support HDMI 2.0

Windows PC can transmit HDR no problem if you have things set up properly and use a good player. I've gotten it to work with Kodi and MPC-HC and madVR.

N

nefarious

Enthusiast
My thoughts as well on the card UNLESS your settings or driver isn't optimized for full capabilities?
I previously went through this with an MSI using a GEForce GT750 chipset and at first drivers were a PITA as this very decent card was EOL so older drivers were required for Win10 instead of latest as per GEForce forums but in reality the card was defective fighting with my BIOS and OS regardless of which OS. Also an incorrect driver will make your GPU look like it is functioning perfectly well but you will have reduced resolution as well.
I'm currently using an AMD Athlon 2 quad core 640 with a new GT1030 GEForce GPU and my Plasma is a 50 inch HD3D with very fine Rez! I find my setup which also is for now running Win 10 Pro 64 provides me with very good resolution as well. The ONLY problem I had which was a concern was the desktop extended past my TV screen with the taskbar and icons along the left vertical side being partially or totally cut off. Tweaking the resolution or format could not or would not solve this and in reality I discovered I had to go into my TV settings under picture>HDMI> to whether it was HDMI Standard or HDMI Nonstandard and select Nonstandard and then being given options on settings beyond. This solved this. At first I thought my GPU was overkill for my HD3D but I now have a full desktop and resolution set to the highest recomended by Windows 10 which is 1920x1080 if memory serves. Lower end GPU are actually getting quite affordable and perhaps I will get something good used or new from offshore for about $50 that will serve the purpose well and allow me to free up this GT1030 for another one of my PC's not being a streamer. Other than this I will dual boot this system with Ubuntu because even though Win 10 has a Kodi app Ubuntu also has Kodi and it works flawlessly on Ubuntu with complaints I heard from others using it on Windows saying it was glitchy and are scared of Linux.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic

I have a Windows 10 64BIT, to this day despite the promises of Windows to fix the HDR plug
and updates, you can't get a proper HDR in Windows

I watch HDR movies through Ultra Blue Ray - it's just heaven and earth
HDR 10 looks amazing
My Hp Omen gaming laptop, does an awesome job passing HDR to my TV. Much better than the Amazon 4k firestick.

N

nefarious

Enthusiast
I recently was told about Amazon Fire sticks and tended to shy away from them due to limited options. My opinion was I have more computer hardware laying around than I actually need and decided instead of getting yet more hardware throw something together in a PC. The newest netbook/notebook I got only has AGP port for an external monitor so I tossed an ATX tower PC beside to get by until I get a smaller pizza box computer case that can be placed within my TV stand like a VCR or DVD. Truthslayer you will also have MANY more options using what you are compared to a Firestick.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
I recently was told about Amazon Fire sticks and tended to shy away from them due to limited options. My opinion was I have more computer hardware laying around than I actually need and decided instead of getting yet more hardware throw something together in a PC. The newest netbook/notebook I got only has AGP port for an external monitor so I tossed an ATX tower PC beside to get by until I get a smaller pizza box computer case that can be placed within my TV stand like a VCR or DVD. Truthslayer you will also have MANY more options using what you are compared to a Firestick.
Yes the fire stick 4k was so so in the beginning but they did some updates a month back or so. And it greatly improved it's features and settings etc. Yes, I agree my computer has many more options, and is pretty much loaded with so many features and options that I probably don't take full advantage of, but nice to know it's there if needed. So far the computer has exceeded my expectations. Great for usb audio, even the headphone jack audio is pretty unbelievable. So no complaints here on the computer end, and as far as the 4k stick. Hard to complain to much because of the updates really improved it.

N

nefarious

Enthusiast
At first my concern was audio and figured I needed to feed into an external amp or stereo but using HDMI in my GPU feeds audio into TV so I just plug in the HDMI into the GPU and then into the Plasma and that's all. Yes most of these TV's have lousy speakers but this gets me by. You pay a fortune for these and they could have made them a wee bit bigger and put in a bit better speakers, not to mention they supply 20 watts to the crap internal speakers so why can't we have the option of shutting off those speakers and having a receptacle to feed external speakers? No of course not just a special adapter requiring an external amp.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
At first my concern was audio and figured I needed to feed into an external amp or stereo but using HDMI in my GPU feeds audio into TV so I just plug in the HDMI into the GPU and then into the Plasma and that's all. Yes most of these TV's have lousy speakers but this gets me by. You pay a fortune for these and they could have made them a wee bit bigger and put in a bit better speakers, not to mention they supply 20 watts to the crap internal speakers so why can't we have the option of shutting off those speakers and having a receptacle to feed external speakers? No of course not just a special adapter requiring an external amp.
Yep, I think the tv racket is way bigger than any of the audio gear stuff. With tv's you have to pray you get a good panel and not have ghosting, decent sound and so fourth. One of my best tv deals ever was a sharp I picked up 1 yr or 2 yrs ago. For like $ 300 to go in the bedroom. The sound is by far better than my Samsung or Sony, and even the picture quality is better, no ghosting, motion blur and panel is completely uniformed. Pisses me off the Samsung and Sony cost 3 times or more, as much as the Sharp, and the Sharp actually looks the best. Never really was a Sharp fan, but I lucked out on this Tv. Maybe a thicker Tv, but everyone agrees the picture is better.

N

nefarious

Enthusiast
When I purchased my Panasonic I walked into the stereo/TV dealership with various makes and models as well as plasma, LED, etc. and pretty much looked at everything very closely and chose what I felt had the best picture. Some have warned me about staying away from Plasma but in reality they all have their faults! Dead pixels, failing backlighting, image burned in screen but I like the more accurate color of the plasma and black is black. It lasted 8 years until a board failed but I got that board repaired and its like new. I think most if not all have horrible speakers regardless of make and model. At least there are forums and YouTubers who show how to locate problems and solutions just like this forum.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Nothing wrong with Plasma tv's. I had one for about 5 years till I bought some larger, 55''and 65'' tv's. Plasma was a 50''. But yes you're right they are great tv's.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Why would a computer care about format when its main job is calculations and storage? The video card is the interface between the digital files and the display.

R

RRRR

Audioholic Intern
Windows PC can't transmit quality HDR
In addition, the players do not support the REC 2020 color
Real 12BIT
The players are outdated and not suitable for watching UHD

OPPO went bankrupt - because it has no money to build a new system for UHD
So a free computer player will give you what?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Real 12BIT

Oppo didn't go bankrupt FWIW, just ceased operations.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Real 12BIT

Source?

R

RRRR

Audioholic Intern
I understand you are asking where do I know this?

there was a big debate on the AVS site playing Windows without a color system FOR UHD + HDR!

Once people have uploaded proofs that the player does not really play HDR + UHD colors
the Media Manager on AVS deleted the thread
But I have pictures that prove to have serious problems playing UHD

1. Please be patient, because this is a complex issue.
you have questions to ask

the picture shows a POWER DVD 19 player engine
Who haven't changed it for at least 14 years!
No CPU commands at all like 3DNOW FOR 12 YERS
and still the player's engine doesn't change!
Player owners want $ 100 for this joke
and reduce the price up to $ 38 per player

this player gives amazing results with 3DNOW commands
better than any other new CPU today with Nevidia 1060+ video card

2. MPC-HC + MPC-BE
these 15 year old players have their owners changed every year
their developers abandoned it because they couldn't sell it...

these players do not have a UHD or HDR color system
they have parts option to show REC 709
And in dark movies there are only 3 colors black + white + brown.
Concerts in dark movies are very bad

the marketers of these players did a very stinky trick
tell people to aim at a 4: 2: 2 +12 BIt color video card
and it stretches like the color to this level but it's not true!
a. Colors that are not present in the movie cannot be made up!
b. the colors obtained are not real and distorted!
c. the Contrast are bad!
d. Many picture noises because the video card builds the wrong colors and distorts the film
( the developers of the player today , do a trick, the player takes colors to REC 709 transmits to video card
and tense / inventor New colors of terrible quality )
e. the AVR recognizes the color of a video card as 4: 2: 2 10 or 12 BIT
but this is a poor game of deception!

f. to bring the colors to HDR they made a stinky trick that tells you to open a HDR in a window that should get colors at the REC2020 level but no player of such color system
then the receiver sees a Windows HDR working and signaling that receives a REC 2020 signal

where are the colors of REC 2020 ?
the player does not support these colors !
the player does not have a REC 2020 color filter or engine !

Just open HDR in Windows that you see every single simplest SD movie on YouTube and you will see that the reciever recognizes that you see REC 2020
Scam !

Computer players do not have a REC 2020 or P3 color system
See photo system color system up to REC 709 and it is also low level

It's a 15-year-old car player that made color-stretching tricks to UHD through a video card
no Uhd COLOR no rec 2020 no p3

15 years without changing color level REC 601 to 709 has no development for UHD
there is no development for REC 2020
No development for P3

3. all new sound types like DD + or DTS HD and more they are " pass-through " without dynamics.
Go hear Pioneer 800's Blue Ray and hear what DD + Atmos is, It's impressive !

4. Developers continue to lie and invent crap and bring in a driver
madVR - It is a driver that gives as if to an HDR computer
Distorted, distorted colors, a desktop, smashes all colors.

the results were so bad that they forbade madVR from playing !
because people realized they were lying

5. MPC-HC + MPC-BE
Can NOT play REC709 maybe REC 601 it's a very old and poor color system!
open the player, access this tab:

10 years ago when people discovered this exercise, they realized Who laugh at them !
and ran away from the player.
Now you do the exercise over and over again
because suckers don't die just take turns

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I understand you are asking where do I know this?

there was a big debate on the AVS site playing Windows without a color system FOR UHD + HDR!

Once people have uploaded proofs that the player does not really play HDR + UHD colors
the Media Manager on AVS deleted the thread
But I have pictures that prove to have serious problems playing UHD

1. Please be patient, because this is a complex issue.
you have questions to ask

the picture shows a POWER DVD 19 player engine
Who haven't changed it for at least 14 years!
No CPU commands at all like 3DNOW FOR 12 YERS
and still the player's engine doesn't change!
Player owners want $ 100 for this joke
and reduce the price up to $ 38 per player

this player gives amazing results with 3DNOW commands
better than any other new CPU today with Nevidia 1060+ video card

2. MPC-HC + MPC-BE
these 15 year old players have their owners changed every year
their developers abandoned it because they couldn't sell it...

these players do not have a UHD or HDR color system
they have parts option to show REC 709
And in dark movies there are only 3 colors black + white + brown.
Concerts in dark movies are very bad

the marketers of these players did a very stinky trick
tell people to aim at a 4: 2: 2 +12 BIt color video card
and it stretches like the color to this level but it's not true!
a. Colors that are not present in the movie cannot be made up!
b. the colors obtained are not real and distorted!
c. the Contrast are bad!
d. Many picture noises because the video card builds the wrong colors and distorts the film
( the developers of the player today , do a trick, the player takes colors to REC 709 transmits to video card
and tense / inventor New colors of terrible quality )
e. the AVR recognizes the color of a video card as 4: 2: 2 10 or 12 BIT
but this is a poor game of deception!

f. to bring the colors to HDR they made a stinky trick that tells you to open a HDR in a window that should get colors at the REC2020 level but no player of such color system
then the receiver sees a Windows HDR working and signaling that receives a REC 2020 signal

where are the colors of REC 2020 ?
the player does not support these colors !
the player does not have a REC 2020 color filter or engine !

Just open HDR in Windows that you see every single simplest SD movie on YouTube and you will see that the reciever recognizes that you see REC 2020
Scam !

Computer players do not have a REC 2020 or P3 color system
See photo system color system up to REC 709 and it is also low level

It's a 15-year-old car player that made color-stretching tricks to UHD through a video card
no Uhd COLOR no rec 2020 no p3

15 years without changing color level REC 601 to 709 has no development for UHD
there is no development for REC 2020
No development for P3

3. all new sound types like DD + or DTS HD and more they are " pass-through " without dynamics.
Go hear Pioneer 800's Blue Ray and hear what DD + Atmos is, It's impressive !

4. Developers continue to lie and invent crap and bring in a driver
madVR - It is a driver that gives as if to an HDR computer
Distorted, distorted colors, a desktop, smashes all colors.

the results were so bad that they forbade madVR from playing !
because people realized they were lying

5. MPC-HC + MPC-BE
Can NOT play REC709 maybe REC 601 it's a very old and poor color system!
open the player, access this tab:

10 years ago when people discovered this exercise, they realized Who laugh at them !
and ran away from the player.
Now you do the exercise over and over again
because suckers don't die just take turns
To many variables to reach the mecca of HDR. Here is one persons journey to get the most out his windows 10 machine

If all the requirements are met, you should be able to get there, but hey this conversation is gonna go far as before.....

R

RRRR

Audioholic Intern
To many variables to reach the mecca of HDR. Here is one persons journey to get the most out his windows 10 machine

If all the requirements are met, you should be able to get there, but hey this conversation is gonna go far as before.....
I didn't understand your answer
France link to how to see HDR that someone wrote on the Internet

1. the whole link is wrong!
2.you cannot get more than 10 mbps over a Windows 10 Internet connection
and only new Intel processors can get 10mbps+ video card from intel
Maybe this year's AMD processors as well

so you can't get with 10mbps 4K !
Only with a direct connection to smart TV you can see real 4K + HDR through YOU TUBE
65mbps bits per second information rate

Amazon + Netflix barely reaches 25 mbps including HDR
+ Atmos and that's a bad joke, it's neither 4K nor HDR

Watch a direct HDR connection on a YouTube smart screen and realize that Windows can't show 4K or HDR

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't understand your answer
France link to how to see HDR that someone wrote on the Internet

1. the whole link is wrong!
2.you cannot get more than 10 mbps over a Windows 10 Internet connection
and only new Intel processors can get 10mbps+ video card from intel
Maybe this year's AMD processors as well

so you can't get with 10mbps 4K !
Only with a direct connection to smart TV you can see real 4K + HDR through YOU TUBE
65mbps bits per second information rate

Amazon + Netflix barely reaches 25 mbps including HDR
+ Atmos and that's a bad joke, it's neither 4K nor HDR

Watch a direct HDR connection on a YouTube smart screen and realize that Windows can't show 4K or HDR
Apparently it's not sone "guy on the internet" since he rights for a tech mag.

The article clearly lays out his journey and the requirements to get there. You haven't listed any of the gear you're complaining about and sounds like that's all you are interested in.

A 1k computer and 1k display would'nt likely be able to output then display the full color gaumet. If one wants TOL performance, one most have the gear to do so.

Good luck on your journey.

R

RRRR

Audioholic Intern
Apparently it's not sone "guy on the internet" since he rights for a tech mag.

The article clearly lays out his journey and the requirements to get there. You haven't listed any of the gear you're complaining about and sounds like that's all you are interested in.

A 1k computer and 1k display would'nt likely be able to output then display the full color gaumet. If one wants TOL performance, one most have the gear to do so.

Good luck on your journey.
your every answer is weird , nothing to do with me

hey wrote on the internet doesn't mean it's true

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis