Marantz SR6013 Vs Yamaha RX-A1080 AVENTAGE

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yamaha does pay for HDMI certification/testing from what I remember MCode saying, but pretty sure that HDMI reliability would only be conclusive if your whole chain of gear is Yamaha, if you start mixing in other brands I'd suspect there could still be issues that weren't tested. I've had a Sony bluray player (S6700) that liked my Onkyo better than my Denon at the time....ARC I didn't like with two avrs with same tv (but don't use ARC at all now so it doesn't matter). I have two hdmi equipped Denons and an Onkyo with various gear (my Sony is pre-hdmi)....only hdmi issues that come to mind over the last 8 years or so. I have no Yamaha gear at all.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Think most of the posters were told to turn off ARC on their Denon/Marantz and were never heard from again. LOL :)

For the record, the AVR should be the hub, not the TV. :)

I’ve had no HDMI issues on my 2016 and 2017 Yamahas.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Think most of the posters were told to turn off ARC on their Denon/Marantz and were never heard from again. LOL :)

For the record, the AVR should be the hub, not the TV. :)

I’ve had no HDMI issues on my 2016 and 2017 Yamahas.
Agree, no hdmi issues here on my Marantz. I think somewhere arc got inadvertently turned back on even and I still haven’t found any issues with that! :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Agree, no hdmi issues here on my Marantz. I think somewhere arc got inadvertently turned back on even and I still haven’t found any issues with that! :)
Ya my ARC is on and no issues on my Yamahas.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I seem to remember vaguely that I also had arc intermittent issues with my Sony smart TV when I first got the x4400h. Once I got it working uninterrupted, it has been perfect for a long time now. That's one thing FW update to eARC might have fixed it. In that case the original intermittent (some stuttering at times iirc), must have been a non hardware related issue.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I seem to remember vaguely that I also had arc intermittent issues with my Sony smart TV when I first got the x4400h. Once I got it working uninterrupted, it has been perfect for a long time now. That's one thing FW update to eARC might have fixed it. In that case the original intermittent (some stuttering at times iirc),must have been a non hardware related issue.
I think the NEWER Denon models (X3400/4400 and up) might have better HDMI compatibility than the older models (the AVR-5308 is the only Denon I have left).

So HDMI compatibility might be more equal now between brands.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I am sure M Code is right about those things. Agreed that reliability may need time to prove things out, but regarding the HDMI compatibility issues, for whatever reasons I have not experienced any such issues. I do have quite a few HDMI devices including an Apple TV, Chromcast, Amazon Fire stick 4K, aside from 3 BDPs, 1 HDDVD, 1 PS4, fibe tv box and a smart TV etc. May be I still haven't come across a bad combination..:D

So who has HDMI compatibility issues, how about @lovinthehd , @ryanosaur , @Pogre , @Danzilla31, @William Lemmerhirt and @KEW , have you guys encountered hdmi compatibility issues with anything? I am not looking for such issues, but am very curious about if it's just my luck, firware updates fixed it, or simply have not found the trouble causing combination of devices.:D
Nothing to report here. My main system only uses 3 HDMI sources. A PS3(soon to be PS4), Sony ubpX700 and a dish network hopper3. Everything does what I want when I want and works smoothly. My Marantz, Audyssey, and dish apps work great, and I can control YouTube and Vudu content with my iPhone(apps). AirPlay is also very consistent, and always was with my airport express. The only weird thing I’ve had was when I connect my laptop to the 6012 to run REW sweeps, I had a quirk in getting audio. That was a fault in the laptop though and I had to turn off the internal speakers. I personally do. It enjoy navigating Yamahas and I loathe their proprietary crap. I DO enjoy their performance. In my buddies system.....

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
I am sure M Code is right about those things. Agreed that reliability may need time to prove things out, but regarding the HDMI compatibility issues, for whatever reasons I have not experienced any such issues. I do have quite a few HDMI devices including an Apple TV, Chromcast, Amazon Fire stick 4K, aside from 3 BDPs, 1 HDDVD, 1 PS4, fibe tv box and a smart TV etc. May be I still haven't come across a bad combination..:D

So who has HDMI compatibility issues, how about @lovinthehd , @ryanosaur , @Pogre , @Danzilla31, @William Lemmerhirt and @KEW , have you guys encountered hdmi compatibility issues with anything? I am not looking for such issues, but am very curious about if it's just my luck, firware updates fixed it, or simply have not found the trouble causing combination of devices.:D
IMHO...
In recent AVR generations HDMI interoperability between HDMI components has gotten better...
But I can tell U as we previously tested products such as the Direct TV box and Apple TV and they were way out of the HDMI/HDCP spec tolerances.. But note that these products were more simplified/tolerant as they typically would plug directly in an HD display... The challenge for HDMI interoperability gets challenging when the HDMI source component goes through an AVR HDMI repeater chip, as now the AVR must extract/decode the stream and then re-digitize/re-encode the stream while maintaining tight tolerances and sending out to the HD display. Whereas an HDMI source component when plugged into an HD display merely has to extract/decode the stream no repeating/re-digitizing is required.

Just my $0.02... ;)

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Just jump in the pool. Grab a Yamaha 2070 and be done. It's a great receiver. You'll more then likely be very happy with the 2 channel performance, as well as surround. I've had the 3060 for over
2 years now and it's awesome, all the way around.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The only issue I have had was due to an HDMI cable that did not support ARC. New cable and good to go!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
IMHO...
In recent AVR generations HDMI interoperability between HDMI components has gotten better...
But I can tell U as we previously tested products such as the Direct TV box and Apple TV and they were way out of the HDMI/HDCP spec tolerances.. But note that these products were more simplified/tolerant as they typically would plug directly in an HD display... The challenge for HDMI interoperability gets challenging when the HDMI source component goes through an AVR HDMI repeater chip, as now the AVR must extract/decode the stream and then re-digitize/re-encode the stream while maintaining tight tolerances and sending out to the HD display. Whereas an HDMI source component when plugged into an HD display merely has to extract/decode the stream no repeating/re-digitizing is required.

Just my $0.02... ;)
The Direct TV box‘s HDMI was where my Denon AVP-A1 and AVR-5308 had the incompatibility issue.

But the Direct TV box worked fine with the Yamaha CX-A5100’s HDMI.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Direct TV box‘s HDMI was where my Denon AVP-A1 and AVR-5308 had the incompatibility issue.

But the Direct TV box worked fine with the Yamaha CX-A5100’s HDMI.
I've had several D* boxes (but cut them off now) no hdmi issues with my Denon or Onkyo I used them with....

click

click

Audioholic Intern
LOL I had to look up DAB+ tuner, meant to when you mentioned it earlier and forgot. Been ages since I've used the radio tuner in any of my avrs (I've lived in areas with little to no reception of radio since owning them for the most part). So never even thought of it. I find internet access much more useful.
I also like internet radio and use it a lot. However, I find the integrated tuner of my receiver more convenient. The issue I have with the internet radio, is that in order to select the station you want to listen to, you need either to navigate though the GUI or to open the mobile app, which some times takes a while until it connects, and then select the station in the favorites. In the receiver's tuner you simply press a button and starts playing your station.

Of course with the internet radio you have plenty of radio station choices from all over the world and that's a big advantage, but most of the times you just need to listen to some good music, nothing special, and especially in the morning after you wake up you want this quickly with the press of a button, you don't want to start looking for your mobile phones /ipads etc. Plus in my region there are a few very good DAB stations and DAB+ has so much superior sound quality compared to analogue FM, similar to the internet radio of the highest bit rates.

Regarding the HDMI compatibility topic, my Marantz AV receiver never had issues before with my previous Samsung and Sony TVs and some other DVD/Blu-ray players. However it has an HDMI issue with my current LG OLED TV. While ARC and CEC are working fine for most of the cases, when I turn my TV on, my Marantz is not always turning on. On the other hand, it does always turns off along with my TV and turns on along with my Apple TV 4K which due to 4K and HDR limitations of my receiver, is not connected directly to the receiver but through the TV. In other words TV doesn't always turns the AV-Receiver on, but Apple TV through the TV surprisingly does! It is a strange behavior and I am not sure if it is an issue of the TV or of my Marantz AV-Receiver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I also like internet radio and use it a lot. However, I find the integrated tuner of my receiver more convenient. The issue I have with the internet radio, is that in order to select the station you want to listen to, you need either to navigate though the GUI or to open the mobile app, which some times takes a while until it connects, and then select the station in the favorites. In the receiver's tuner you simply press a button and starts playing your station.

Of course with the internet radio you have plenty of radio station choices from all over the world and that's a big advantage, but most of the times you just need to listen to some good music, nothing special, and especially in the morning after you wake up you want this quickly with the press of a button, you don't want to start looking for your mobile phones /ipads etc. Plus in my region there are a few very good DAB stations and DAB+ has so much superior sound quality compared to analogue FM, similar to the internet radio of the highest bit rates.

Regarding the HDMI compatibility topic, my Marantz AV receiver never had issues before with my previous Samsung and Sony TVs and some other DVD/Blu-ray players. However it has an HDMI issue with my current LG OLED TV. While ARC and CEC are working fine for most of the cases, when I turn my TV on, my Marantz is not always turning on. On the other hand, it does always turns off along with my TV and turns on along with my Apple TV 4K which due to 4K and HDR limitations of my receiver, is not connected directly to the receiver but through the TV. In other words TV doesn't always turns the AV-Receiver on, but Apple TV through the TV surprisingly does! It is a strange behavior and I am not sure if it is an issue of the TV or of my Marantz AV-Receiver.
As long as you have stations when you press the button a tuner is fine....but its been a long time since I've lived in such a place with either decent reception or stations to listen to (and I do miss some of the better FM stations I used to enjoy but that's been a long time)....but I do have plenty of my own music to play with the press of a button and turning on spotify or pandora is simple enough, too.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've had several D* boxes (but cut them off now) no hdmi issues with my Denon or Onkyo I used them with....
Yeah HDMI can be a hit or mis, but usually not a deal breaker since there are workarounds.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I haven't had any HDMI issues with my Denon or Marantz receivers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't had any HDMI issues with my Denon or Marantz receivers.
I’ve only had 2 HDMI incompatibility issues with the Denon. One was the Direct TV Box, which might have been outdated since it’s not 4K.

The other very important component was my Karaoke. Haha. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis