The best type of Y splitter

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Why are you worried about that? Live next to some generator of such? Maybe on a long run of rca cable that's poorly shielded that might be a concern....but very unlikely on a short length like the splitters mentioned.
Most power cords aren't shielded, so they could cause problems. It's rare and it requires crappy cables (like the IXOS cables with XLR ends I used once) to pick it up, but it does happen.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
He have AudysseyXT32/SubEQ feature.

My bedroom have arround 1000 cubic feet, and I am an enthusiast.

I felt a lot more dynamic, more "power" seems to me that the low frequencies have an upgrade, so I'm thinking of maybe putting one more sub in this position:

Of course it is not the ideal position, my room is small, my options are only at the front, so I ask you, will I have more benefits like what I had going from 1 to 2?
I Will have cancelations because they are Very close ?

View attachment 31967

Approximate measurements ( I didn't get to measure the maximum power where the compression starts, I put a random volume ) at 3 places of listening position (My bed) with 2 SB 3000
Crossover 80hz and lfe 120
View attachment 31968
Something not right there, even with no smoothing, it should be much flatter with XO 80 Hz unless you have a really challenging room.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Edit: Dumb mistake. Assuming the splitters are serialized so the topology is a tree, it's 18,812 ohms. Not much of a difference, but not 12,500. Serves me right for multi-tasking.
Did you make a typo, or I misunderstood what you meant be "...serialized.."

Assuming he uses sw1 for one sub, and sw2 for the other 2 via Y-splitter, then using you example of 3 sub amps that each have 50 kOhm input impedance, then the equivalent impedance is:

1/(1/50+1/25) = 16.67 kohms (thanks to highfigh for the correction)

Like you said, makes little difference in this case regardless.

Last edited:
fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
Something not right there, even with no smoothing, it should be much flatter with XO 80 Hz unless you have a really challenging room.
I have one seat hard to flat ( red ) more leaning against the wall and window, becausbeit is a room with a bed against the wall, wardrobe ...
The others 2 positions are more flat than this.

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
What smoothing?
Have you seen mine, or @Pogre 's?
I haven't seen it yet, and I thought mine was fine because it's a room with room stuff hahahah

Anyway, what do you think of the idea of a third sub in the middle in my case?

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I haven't seen it yet, and I thought mine was fine because it's a room with room stuff hahahah

For 1000 cu ft even one SB3000 should be plenty!!
If those curves are for the subwoofer only, they don't look too bad. If they are with the L+R, then I expect much better response >100 Hz. You likely can improve much more simply by "crawling" the subs, try moving the one facing the bed to the left of the other sub first and see what happens.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

Assuming he uses sw1 for one sub, and sw2 for the other 2 via Y-splitter, then using you example of 3 sub amps that each have 50 kOhm input impedance, then the equivalent impedance is:

1/(1/50+1/25) = 16.67 ohms

I was assuming two-way splitters. The first splitter has one 50K ohm amp on it, and another splitter, which has the two other 50K ohm amps. So the load seen at the splitters is different.

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
For 1000 cu ft even one SB3000 should be plenty!!
If those curves are for the subwoofer only, they don't look too bad. If they are with the L+R, then I expect much better response >100 Hz. You likely can improve much more simply by "crawling" the subs, try moving the one facing the bed to the left of the other sub first and see what happens.
I've tried to move them, tried different ways but the best I had was in this current position. Perhaps the biggest problem is that I am only limited to spread out front.

Yes was measured with L + R bookshelf.

The impact I had from 1 to 2 was huge z my idea is that with 3 even is practically together would be equally beneficial or i will have cancelations?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
IF interference were a concern, then you'd want the shortest one, which is why I prefer the solid connector. It is possible it could present more strain to the connector on the back of the receiver if you have two cables pulling on it, but that is still true of the other types as well, just to a little less of an extent. I used the solid one for years for my subs with no issue though.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was assuming two-way splitters. The first splitter has one 50K ohm amp on it, and another splitter, which has the two other 50K ohm amps. So the load seen at the splitters is different.
As long as he uses one sub channel preout and 2 splitters, the sub channel amp will see 1/3 of the load impedance whether they are connected the way you described or not.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Most power cords aren't shielded, so they could cause problems. It's rare and it requires crappy cables (like the IXOS cables with XLR ends I used once) to pick it up, but it does happen.
Maybe, but with a nest of power cords, most of which are unshielded, behind mine, yet to have been any problem for me yet....I think more a problem to deal with once encountered rather than simply anticipated due what "they" say :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
He have AudysseyXT32/SubEQ feature.

My bedroom have arround 1000 cubic feet, and I am an enthusiast.

I felt a lot more dynamic, more "power" seems to me that the low frequencies have an upgrade, so I'm thinking of maybe putting one more sub in this position:

Of course it is not the ideal position, my room is small, my options are only at the front, so I ask you, will I have more benefits like what I had going from 1 to 2?
I Will have cancelations because they are Very close ?

View attachment 31967

Approximate measurements ( I didn't get to measure the maximum power where the compression starts, I put a random volume ) at 3 places of listening position (My bed) with 2 SB 3000
Crossover 80hz and lfe 120
View attachment 31968
That's a pretty small room so I can appreciate you have limited sub placement options....never tried three across the front myself. In a similarly sized bedroom I find two up front work well enough for me (and would have to go under the bed/headboard for a third which someday I may do when I get a bit more enthusiastic :) ). One way to find out if another helps :)

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
That's a pretty small room so I can appreciate you have limited sub placement options....never tried three across the front myself. In a similarly sized bedroom I find two up front work well enough for me (and would have to go under the bed/headboard for a third which someday I may do when I get a bit more enthusiastic :) ). One way to find out if another helps :)
I'm in doubt between one more sub unit or selling my denon 3500 and going to migrate to a marantz 7705, I think that the 7705 will give me all the potential in pre out outputs that the 3500 cant do because the transformer is connected to the pre outs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm in doubt between one more sub unit or selling my denon 3500 and going to migrate to a marantz 7705, I think that the 7705 will give me all the potential in pre out outputs that the 3500 cant do because the transformer is connected to the pre outs.
Not understanding what you mean by this. I doubt the 7705 has any advantage for sub pre-outs....

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
?? Could you explain about the pre out advantage a little more?

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
?? Could you explain about the pre out advantage a little more?
In a Marantz 8012 audioholics Review, he comments that the pre outputs they are somewhat limited because they are connected to the 8012 transformer, there should be some way to turn off this junction ... Already in 7705 I think because his being only pre, would not have this limitation and so I would gain benefits in pre out.

Screenshot_20191024-155111.png

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

1/(1/50+1/25) = 16.67 ohms

You mean 16.67 KOhms, right?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis