The Boy Who Cried Wolf

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
@herbu , FWIW, I've been making an effort to pick the brains of as many folks as I can here in Colorado, with the conservatives in my area being more libertarian leaning than cultural conservatives, which could explain what I've heard. Most share your sentiment, with a notable portion saying if it's Yang vs. Trump, Yang will get their vote, and if it's Trump vs. any of the others then Trump will get their vote.
Whoever is nominated, it's looking likely that the R candidate will be Pence, not Trump. Trump managed to Plaxico himself by releasing the transcript.
Not plausible that Pence will be a presidential candidate. It will be Trump. He will be impeached by the house but not by the senate, so he will be in office until inauguration day.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
She seems to have controlled the gun very well. The problem was in how she assessed the situation.
No, she didn't control the gun well. Or are you implying that it's okay for her to shoot if it's a black guy?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
@herbu , FWIW, I've been making an effort to pick the brains of as many folks as I can here in Colorado, with the conservatives in my area being more libertarian leaning than cultural conservatives, which could explain what I've heard. While most share your sentiment, a notable portion say if it's Yang vs. Trump, Yang will get their vote, and if it's Trump vs. any of the others then Trump will get their vote.

I guess those who will vote for T just love him to death.
Heard a similar account on the radio in regards to a Sanders. Because he got a raw deal he voted for T. I hope he got what he voted for.:rolleyes:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

No, she didn't control the gun well. Or are you implying that it's okay for her to shoot if it's a black guy?
Well, if Irv is right, a dark/black room color may be difficult to make out?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, if Irv is right, a dark/black room color may be difficult to make out?
Was it that dark? She couldn't even park on the correct floor (and do the apartments have the same numbers on different floors?). What were the results of drug testing? I understand she also was not in compliance with her own department's protocols. Still, it is criminal in the end even if accidental.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
The trial continues tomorrow so we shall see. So so sad for everyone involved...

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Oh you know what I mean. I wasn’t talking about her. What she did was not an intentional criminal act. I do think she should be prosecuted for murdering someone, but it’s not the same as all the garbage in the world engaging cops in obvious criminal behavior like shootouts and car chases etc. my original statement about asking questions later was not thought out all the way. But my feelings aren’t dissimilar in that, I am tired of criminals, and tired of them getting slapped on the wrist, and blaming cops for shooting them.
I didn’t keep reading to see if anyone covered it, but you do know that she was dating the guy previously. She didn’t just accidentally walk into some strangers house thinking it was her home and shoot him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I didn’t keep reading to see if anyone covered it, but you do know that she was dating the guy previously. She didn’t just accidentally walk into some strangers house thinking it was her home and shoot him.

My understanding is that's more internet gossip than fact....you got a credible source?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

No, I hadn’t heard that before. I haven’t had much time to devote to following the case. Maybe she forgot that she was not dating him anymore? Maybe he was a piece of crap and raped her and had it coming?
I have no idea, but now you have my curiosity. I will do some reading.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
You must be confused by the testimony in court, where the prosecution was questioning the ex-cop about her affair with another officer. There's no mention of her knowing the victim, unless I missed it:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amber-guyger-trial-dallas-officer-who-shot-neighbor-testifies-in-own-defense-today-2019-09-27/

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
My understanding is that's more internet gossip than fact....you got a credible source?
Looks like I fell for the same Internet BS as others, thanks for the correction

highfigh

highfigh

'Controlling a gun' means she hit her target. What she didn't control is her mind. She made an extremely bad call in deciding to shoot before knowing who he was and WHERE she was if she didn't actually know him. For whatever reason, she was on auto-pilot when she walked to and opened the door. She said the place was dark- if the apartments are the same, the light switch was in the same place as hers, so darkness is kind of a moot point. If she was in uniform, she should have had a flashlight- why not use that?

Why would you ask if I think it's OK to shoot a black guy? It's not OK to shoot anyone who's not a threat of mortal injury.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
She seems to have controlled the gun very well. The problem was in how she assessed the situation.
My dad was a range instructor for a number of years. He dealt with a lot of police and he said it would surprise you how many police officers have poor situational awareness. They lock onto one person and are completely unaware of anything or anyone else around them including anyone talking or shouting to them. He would work with them on improving their situational awareness to avoid being a victim of a second perp. He also said you would be surprised at how many police do not practice with their sidearm. So their shooting is pretty poor, sort of a spray and pray approach.

So yeah, she completely failed in assessing the situation and an innocent man is dead. It's a tough job that requires training that often isn't provided. I could go on and on, but then I'd get nothing done.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Some of my coworkers actually defend this lady. Crazy. She went into somebody else's house and killed them. No way to justify her actions.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
'Controlling a gun' means she hit her target. What she didn't control is her mind. She made an extremely bad call in deciding to shoot before knowing who he was and WHERE she was if she didn't actually know him. For whatever reason, she was on auto-pilot when she walked to and opened the door. She said the place was dark- if the apartments are the same, the light switch was in the same place as hers, so darkness is kind of a moot point. If she was in uniform, she should have had a flashlight- why not use that?

Why would you ask if I think it's OK to shoot a black guy? It's not OK to shoot anyone who's not a threat of mortal injury.
No, controlling her gun includes her mind. She made a lot of bad calls, probably why they fired her. Can't tell with conservatives supporting the current administration just how far their racism goes...

highfigh

highfigh

No, controlling her gun includes her mind. She made a lot of bad calls, probably why they fired her. Can't tell with conservatives supporting the current administration just how far their racism goes...
Stop with the claims of racism! Jesus Christ! You f&cks can't stop doing that and it's really part of the problem that's tearing the country apart. Every time something happens between people of different races, you leap to the conclusion that it's all because someone is racist and that's just not true. I don't know this woman- I haven't met her, but the same goes for us- you haven't met me, so you don't know what I believe- just what you have read and erroneously inferred. My comment about what she did and didn't control would apply to her shooting ANYONE, not just a Black neighbor. You want to tell me that guns should be taken out of the hands of legal owners because the quantity of guns make people kill and then write that gun control includes the person't mind- I, and others, have been saying that for as long as these debates have existed and you (& others like you) shout us down, saying that it's not a behavioral problem. PEOPLE are the problem- they have lost the ability to handle problems that could be solved in other ways, so they grab the most convenient weapon, often in possession illegally.

highfigh

highfigh

My dad was a range instructor for a number of years. He dealt with a lot of police and he said it would surprise you how many police officers have poor situational awareness. They lock onto one person and are completely unaware of anything or anyone else around them including anyone talking or shouting to them. He would work with them on improving their situational awareness to avoid being a victim of a second perp. He also said you would be surprised at how many police do not practice with their sidearm. So their shooting is pretty poor, sort of a spray and pray approach.

So yeah, she completely failed in assessing the situation and an innocent man is dead. It's a tough job that requires training that often isn't provided. I could go on and on, but then I'd get nothing done.
Yes, it happens and IMO, it's inexcusable-

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nypd-9-shooting-bystander-victims-hit-by-police-gunfire

https://www.cnn.com/2012/08/25/justice/new-york-empire-state-shooting/index.html

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
You raise a very interesting question. It appears that until/unless Republicans finally decide enough is enough, Mr. Trump will be practically bulletproof.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/09/trumps-ukranian-favor-what-impeachment/598849/

We have our own federal election campaign going on right now and it is going as - sadly and predictably - as expected. The two main parties are busy demonizing the other and promising a chicken in every pot and a unicorn in every backyard. The other parties are promising two unicorns in every backyard...:rolleyes:
Not sure how this thread got onto a shooting subject. The question was about how you, (not you, NAD) would focus the democrat campaign. Would you stress illegal immigrant forgiveness? Loan forgiveness? Healthcare? Climate change? Trump hate? I know you can't talk about the economy. Sorry, but I don't think a lot of the country feels bad for auto workers making $80k/year plus benefits on strike. (Especially for the supremely mismanaged GMC that in my opinion still owes us $10B. Remember the stock we bought, then sold back for $10B less?)

Honestly, forget the hate for a moment. I can't think of a single issue democrats could use that would rally the majority of voters. All your candidates are too extreme for most people. I think most people believe that if you take out a loan, you should pay it back. You should come into this country legally. Veterens needing assistance take priority over illegal immigrants. You should have healthcare choices. You should have a job if you want one... and if you simply chose not to work, taxpayer assistance should be limited. We already lead the world in transitioning to clean energy without outlawing fossil fuels. Giving every person $1k/month is not the answer.

So seriously for the democrats, where would you focus the campaign if it were your call? Is hating Trump, and Trump supporters, really your best move?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Colluding with with a hostile foreign power seems to have worked well to get elected, and once in power one can even use the awesome US power to pressure allies, vulnerable or otherwise, to interfere in the elections on your behalf. The pressure on allies appears, for now at least, to have backfired.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Not sure how this thread got onto a shooting subject. The question was about how you, (not you, NAD) would focus the democrat campaign. Would you stress illegal immigrant forgiveness? Loan forgiveness? Healthcare? Climate change? Trump hate? I know you can't talk about the economy. Sorry, but I don't think a lot of the country feels bad for auto workers making $80k/year plus benefits on strike. (Especially for the supremely mismanaged GMC that in my opinion still owes us $10B. Remember the stock we bought, then sold back for $10B less?)

Honestly, forget the hate for a moment. I can't think of a single issue democrats could use that would rally the majority of voters. All your candidates are too extreme for most people. I think most people believe that if you take out a loan, you should pay it back. You should come into this country legally. Veterens needing assistance take priority over illegal immigrants. You should have healthcare choices. You should have a job if you want one... and if you simply chose not to work, taxpayer assistance should be limited. We already lead the world in transitioning to clean energy without outlawing fossil fuels. Giving every person $1k/month is not the answer.

So seriously for the democrats, where would you focus the campaign if it were your call? Is hating Trump, and Trump supporters, really your best move?
Well, from the outside looking in, this would be my take.

First of all, until the Democrats decide who their candidate will be, I'm not sure they can formulate their definitive strategy. It looks like they and the GOP have their core voters locked up, so they need to convince the independent voters/thinkers. I may be wrong, but if the White House needs to go to Ukraine to try to dig up dirt on Biden, they may be grasping at straws. And, if he is the chosen candidate and remains "clean" throughout the campaign, I honestly don't believe the GOP will be able to stop him. He just needs to maintain a sufficiently centrist campaign to keep the vast majority of the Democrat base, as well as convince the undecided. Biden would only have to tread water, while Trump's record of misdeeds will be enough to sink him.

If the Democrats choose one of the left-wingers, all bets are off. But then, during the election campaign, much of the far left rhetoric could get tossed aside in order to appeal to a greater pool of voters.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis