What to do next ....

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
Sounds fine but what does "set level to THX" do? What did you do with the phase setting? Does something sound wrong after you did this?
iin the manual of the subs, it is recommanded to set THX when calibrating the subs.

For the phase i left it to 0

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
To me so far i like it alot, but for the subs i dont know. Having two subs is a breath taking experience. But what is the best setting for the subs, it is hard to tell. Should a subs vibrate when there is explosion on the screen? or is it to high a level.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
But what is the best setting for the subs, it is hard to tell. Should a subs vibrate when there is explosion on the screen? or is it to high a level.
Yep. That’s why I like to add 4-5db in the AVR post cal. I also have a minidsp so I’ve built a house curve. It rises from 200hz down to 18hz by about 5-7db at 18hz. Then I just let the content do what it’s gonna do.
Yes subs should vibrate when there’s explosion on the screen. But definitely NOT if there’s not an explosion. Lol!!

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
Yep. That’s why I like to add 4-5db in the AVR post cal. I also have a minidsp so I’ve built a house curve. It rises from 200hz down to 18hz by about 5-7db at 18hz. Then I just let the content do what it’s gonna do.
Yes subs should vibrate when there’s explosion on the screen. But definitely NOT if there’s not an explosion. Lol!!
so should i set my subs level to 0 and only increase the AVR subs level?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
To me so far i like it alot, but for the subs i dont know. Having two subs is a breath taking experience. But what is the best setting for the subs, it is hard to tell. Should a subs vibrate when there is explosion on the screen? or is it to high a level.
Not sure what you mean by vibrate. The box or it rattles on the floor or ? Best setting is what you like in the end. I generally like a little bass boost too, but I would recommend adding it in the avr rather than changing gain on the subs (and only after you calibrate). Don't know what "0" on the sub itself translates to at all, they're all different....

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
Not sure what you mean by vibrate. The box or it rattles on the floor or ? Best setting is what you like in the end. I generally like a little bass boost too, but I would recommend adding it in the avr rather than changing gain on the subs (and only after you calibrate). Don't know what "0" on the sub itself translates to at all, they're all different....
I mean the room in general and the couch

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I mean the room in general and the couch
Yeah, they can do that. In some rooms it can cause rattles of pictures and bric-a-brac and such, a little museum putty can work wonders. You can even get your couch to vibrate even more by putting the sub right behind it or even adding a transducer in the couch itself (often called bass shakers).

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
Yeah, they can do that. In some rooms it can cause rattles of pictures and bric-a-brac and such, a little museum putty can work wonders. You can even get your couch to vibrate even more by putting the sub right behind it or even adding a transducer in the couch itself (often called bass shakers).
Holy frak, its crazy stuff. It never end.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I dont have audyssey... on YPAO. Each time i do an auto calibration i get different result. Sometime its only by a small and sometime bigger difference.

The last auto setup gave me -2 on the subs
And the other time i got +4.
A 6 dB swing seems a bit much for subsequent runs of the auto-calibration system. Try to be cognizant of whether there are external sources of bass noise like HVAC, refrigerator, truck , plane overhead, etc. Some of these noises like HVAC or fridge we automatically filter and hardly notice because they are commonly in our environment, but the microphone is not very good at making the distinction.

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
A 6 dB swing seems a bit much for subsequent runs of the auto-calibration system. Try to be cognizant of whether there are external sources of bass noise like HVAC, refrigerator, truck , plane overhead, etc. Some of these noises like HVAC or fridge we automatically filter and hardly notice because they are commonly in our environment, but the microphone is not very good at making the distinction.
I can vauch that i was alone in the house and no external sound could be hear. I also was in the basement

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have no idea whats the difference between both gains and level
Looking back at your pic of the sub controls, the sub amp's gain control is labeled "level". My question is is it possible that the level on the sub changed between the different YPAO runs?

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
Looking back at your pic of the sub controls, the sub amp's gain control is labeled "level". My question is is it possible that the level on the sub changed between the different YPAO runs?
I always put it to to THX when i calibrate my AVR. In the manual THX correspond roughly to 0db. Than i crank up the cross over to max also. Phase is always at 0.

The crossover switch is at off. For the EQ i really dont know if i should put it to extended or THX

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis