Amazon offers lossless and high bit rate streaming

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I might just sign up at least for the 90 day free trial.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
excellent. I already have Amazon Music Unlimited... an extra $4 for lossless sounds like a deal. I listen to it all day at work.

I got a few notices from Amazon though that were just to point out all of the benefits they give as part of Prime, which leads me to believe a price increase would not be a surprise too.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I just dumped Apple Music and upgraded AMZN unlimited and did the 90 day trial for HD but plan to keep HD since only 5 bucks more than unlimited.

I’m keeping Pandora Plus too. (Even though not HD, it helps me discover new music and it’s 5 bucks, so cheaper than Spotify)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
If they have it so you can purchase and download a perfect image of CD from the comfort of your home, that will be the end of the physical CD as we have known it. That is game set and match for the CDs end.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I signed up.
20190917_075705-1305x734.jpg

By "device capability" do they mean the FireTV or my receiver? I'm assuming it's the FireTV...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If they have it so you can purchase and download a perfect image of CD from the comfort of your home, that will be the end of the physical CD as we have known it. That is game set and match for the CDs end.
I've been buying the CD just because the digital copy is free, then I use the digital copy and just have the CD sitting around. Lately I have bought far fewer CDs though.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I also just signed up, already had Amazon Unlimited, so it's only $5 more per month(three months free). Need to figure out best way to play it from my laptop to my AV system.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's how they got me to sign up for Unlimited too... It was free for 3 months, then discounted as part of Prime. Quality is pretty good. Not all albums are in HD audio though, was listening to something older and it was not. Picking through various albums of mine and they mostly are though.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is it TRULY Lossless?

Or did they just take some MP3 files and convert them to "lossless"?

The reason I say this is because I've seen some 4K video and Atmos audio contents that aren't even available on actual hard discs!

For example, the movies "Edge of Tomorrow" and "Lawrence of Arabia" are not even available on Blu-ray as 4K or Atmos. Yet somehow they are available to stream as 4K and Dolby Atmos?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Is it TRULY Lossless?

Or did they just take some MP3 files and convert them to "lossless"?
I can't believe they would pull a stunt like that, because a bit-wise comparison to a lossless master would be easily revealed by software. It would be embarrassing to Amazon with very little return on investment for deception.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I can't believe they would pull a stunt like that, because a bit-wise comparison to a lossless master would be easily revealed by software. It would be embarrassing to Amazon with very little return on investment for deception.
I just took a 8bit/8kHz music file and converted it to WAV 24bit/96kHz file.

Are there software that could take the final file and see what the original file was?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I just took a 8bit/8kHz music file and converted it to WAV 24bit/96kHz file.

Are there software that could take the final file and see what the original file was?
If I understand your question, the answer is no. Once the information is gone it’s irretrievable. On the other hand, the 8KHz file is easily detectable, because of the 4KHz frequency response limit.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If I understand your question, the answer is no. Once the information is gone it’s irretrievable. On the other hand, the 8KHz file is easily detectable, because of the 4KHz frequency response limit.
So if the final file says "24bit/96kHz Lossless WAV", how would we know if it's converted from 8bit/16kHz MP3? :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Listening to the Audio right now, I can hear improvement on some tracks compared to the previous 256k versions.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So why, in the image I posted above, does it show track quality as 24/96, but device capability is only 16/44.1? I know that the difference between the 2 is all but inaudible, but I don't care. I wanna see it playing in 24/96! What am I missing here?

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
So why, in the image I posted above, does it show track quality as 24/96, but device capability is only 16/44.1? I know that the difference between the 2 is all but inaudible, but I don't care. I wanna see it playing in 24/96! What am I missing here?
It says your device isn’t capable, i don’t know what that means but make it capable some way :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It says your device isn’t capable, i don’t know what that means but make it capable some way :p
Yeah but, which device? The FireTV or is there a setting on my SR6011 I need to change or something? If it's the FireTV then I can stop trying to get it to work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis