Amazon offers lossless and high bit rate streaming

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
So if the final file says "24bit/96kHz Lossless WAV", how would we know if it's converted from 8bit/16kHz MP3? :D
One way would be spectrum analysis software that would show the lack of any output above 8KHz.

For example, Stereophile noticed some years ago that the high-res version of Norah Jones' Come Away With Me album was originally a 16/44.1 master.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Yeah but, which device? The FireTV or is there a setting on my SR6011 I need to change or something? If it's the FireTV then I can stop trying to get it to work.
I’d guess your FireTV. The Marantz should have sufficient DAC chips to convert 24/96.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I’d guess your FireTV. The Marantz should have sufficient DAC chips to convert 24/96.
She remote accessed my FireTV and said everything is good to go on that end. My unit is capable and all of the settings are where they should be. Waiting for a callback from Marantz right now. I must be missing a setting or something.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
She remote accessed my FireTV and said everything is good to go on that end. My unit is capable and all of the settings are where they should be. Waiting for a callback from Marantz right now. I must be missing a setting or something.
The DAC in your Marantz supports 24/192.

I also believe that it should autoselect its sampling rate and there shouldn’t be a setting to fix it to a quality lower than it should be so that’s a bit weird.

Good luck to you :)

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Interesting. I just saw that within a given album, some tracks indicate HD and other tracks indicate Ultra HD. Currently listening to Classic Sinatra - His Greatest Performances 1953-1960 on my HP Envy 17" laptop. Current track is In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning, shown as Ultra HD, and the information is:

Ultra HD Audio
Track Quality: 24 bit / 96 kHz
Device Capability: 24 bit / 48 kHz
Currently playing at: 24 bit / 48 kHz

I do believe that the HD audio sound card in this computer is supposed to go higher than 48kHz.

Devices listed for my laptop:

NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
and,
Realtek High Definition Audio(SST)
and
Intel(R) Display Audio

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting. I just saw that within a given album, some tracks indicate HD and other tracks indicate Ultra HD. Currently listening to Classic Sinatra - His Greatest Performances 1953-1960 on my HP Envy 17" laptop. Current track is In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning, shown as Ultra HD, and the information is:

Ultra HD Audio
Track Quality: 24 bit / 96 kHz
Device Capability: 24 bit / 48 kHz
Currently playing at: 24 bit / 48 kHz

I do believe that the HD audio sound card in this computer is supposed to go higher than 48kHz.
But what does it matter since all those are way beyond what it was recorded with originally?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The DAC in your Marantz supports 24/192.

I also believe that it should autoselect its sampling rate and there shouldn’t be a setting to fix it to a quality lower than it should be so that’s a bit weird.

Good luck to you :)
I don't know, but it's really pissing me off. It's not so much I think there's gonna be this huge improvement. It's the principle! Both Marantz and Amazon were pretty useless, one blaming the other as I expected. Marantz did have me switch inputs to CD then go to "input assign" and change from a - to "7" under HDMI. He also asked if there's a way to change an audio setting on FTV to Bitstream out which I can't find and don't think it even has.

Would this be a HDMI cable thing? I'm not currently using ARC either.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know, but it's really pissing me off. It's not so much I think there's gonna be this huge improvement. It's the principle! Both Marantz and Amazon were pretty useless, one blaming the other as I expected. Marantz did have me switch inputs to CD then go to "input assign" and change from a - to "7" under HDMI. He also asked if there's a way to change an audio setting on FTV to Bitstream out which I can't find and don't think it even has.

Would this be a HDMI cable thing? I'm not currently using ARC either.
Could it be dsp in Marantz converting to 48khz? I don't even know what my fire stick's capability is....but haven't tried to stream a 24/96 file thru it either. It wouldn't surprise me the fire stick has limited audio capabilities....or even the app involved.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Could it be dsp in Marantz converting to 48khz? I don't even know what my fire stick's capability is....but haven't tried to stream a 24/96 file thru it either. It wouldn't surprise me the fire stick has limited audio capabilities....or even the app involved.
I think you're right, tho it is a 4k box. You'd think it wouldn't have any issues with audio, but I downloaded the app on my laptop and it's showing a higher resolution there. Same as @mtrot now tho...

Track Quality: 24 bit/96 kHz
Device Capability: 24 bit/48 kHz
Currently playing at: 24 bit/48 kHz

Still not quite there, but an improvement. It has to be something to do with the streaming devices.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So you to TV first then avr or other way around?
AVR first, then out from receiver to TV.

You know, it's kinda messed up that they now offer hi res streaming but their own devices don't support it... :oops:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
AVR first, then out from receiver to TV.

You know, it's kinda messed up that they now offer hi res streaming but their own devices don't support it... :oops:
May require an update to the devices since they are older than the service. I'd expect to see that sometime soon.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How does that work anyway? Does the signal go through the device or PC's DAC before it gets to the receiver?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How does that work anyway? Does the signal go through the device or PC's DAC before it gets to the receiver?
Do you have it connected digitally? I'd experiment with pure direct on your avr with the fire tv, too. I'm thinking Audyssey needs to convert to 48khz.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just got this email from Denon...

Screenshot_2019-09-17-17-00-38.png

I gotta look, but I'm pretty sure my SR6011 doesn't have HEOS.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
On a side note, I'm able to instantly a/b between my cd rips and Amazon Music's ultra HD and I just did. My cd rips sound better and it's not just maybe, it's obviously. Now, it's at least partly a volume thing. Switching from amazon to foobar it also gets a little bit louder.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis