Are These Finds Good Deals?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Doesn't 70 bucks for a 8" woofer seem a bit pricey? 50 for a tweeter? Sigh.
Too high, better to find some used parts off Ebay ---- or get new parts for both speakers and redesign by DIY .... or just find a tweeter and stick with that woofer for awhile .... have fun

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Almost certainly the cabs were unfinished due to the sock, no need to finish them, just a waste of $.

Modern DT and GE do the same with their cabs with socks.
Yeah, that makes perfect sense. A good area to cut costs significantly.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Look at the Velocity speakers .... I think that they are sold each
They are sold each, and that series looks like one of their entry-midfi options (Premier being at the top?). I take it you've listened to them?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
They are sold each, and that series looks like one of their entry-midfi options (Premier being at the top?). I take it you've listened to them?
No -- but the word is decent/nice on them and better than average

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Just got off the phone with PhaseTech and Connie was super nice and super helpful. She's emailing me the info on replacement parts, which they have, even the sock. She also told me about a trade up program they have where I could ship them in and get the brand new equivalent at dealer cost. I dunno if I want to go there, but at least I can price the replacement drivers and sock and go from there.

The unfinished cabinets... I think that's just the way they did it, being that a sock covers the whole thing. That kinda makes sense to me anyway. I'll report back when I learn some more.
My speakers are like that too, unfinished under the sock.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I found a woofer on ebay for 20 bucks, but there's a small hole in the surround. If I can talk him down is it worth it? Can it be repaired or could I somehow use the surround from the damaged one I have? That last question is mostly desperation, lol. I can't imagine switching out the surround without damaging it...
s-l500.jpg

s-l500 (1).jpg

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I found a woofer on ebay for 20 bucks, but there's a small hole in the surround. If I can talk him down is it worth it? Can it be repaired or could I somehow use the surround from the damaged one I have? That last question is mostly desperation, lol. I can't imagine switching out the surround without damaging it...
Contact Parts Express, they will have something to patch it up ..... good find

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Contact Parts Express, they will have something to patch it up ..... good find
I'd also have to pay $10 for shipping. I just made a counter offer for $20, seller pays shipping. We'll see if he bites.

I also found a set of socks on ebay for $39.99 with some small tears in the fabric. Phase tech has them in stock, brand new for $20 apiece...

s-l500 (2).jpg
s-l500 (3).jpg
s-l500 (4).jpg
s-l500 (6).jpg

I countered with $15 for both and they came back with $25. Debating if I should take that or not...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd also have to pay $10 for shipping. I just made a counter offer for $20, seller pays shipping. We'll see if he bites.
They took it! That was a fast reply. I went ahead and ordered the woofer. Not too bad considering they're going for $70 from phasetech.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If that surround is rubber or butyl rubber, you may be able to just fix it with some kind of adhesive or maybe some kind of rubber patch. It isn't a perfect solution, but it could be better than leaving that tear open.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, check it out. I pulled the non functioning tweeter out of the cab to get a better look at it. I wanted to see if it could have been something as simple as a connector coming loose or something. Everything looked as it should as far as that goes. I took a couple pics to compare to the one I found on ebay.

These are of the one I have.
28013-512x384.jpeg
20190906_133746-1305x734.jpg

This is the one I found for $30 on ebay.

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg

That's a match, right? The same guy has the socks with a couple of small tears in one of them. I sent a message asking if they could bundle the tweeter and socks for $50. That will fix the one speaker and get socks on both of them for a total of $70 so far. $15 for the actual purchase and I'm into them for $85.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If that surround is rubber or butyl rubber, you may be able to just fix it with some kind of adhesive or maybe some kind of rubber patch. It isn't a perfect solution, but it could be better than leaving that tear open.
I believe it's one of those. It's not straight foam. Kind of like the surrounds on my Hsus. While I had it apart I took a few pics of the crossover inside the cabinet and wasn't overly impressed. I don't know diddley about crossovers tho, so for all I know they're better than they look.
28015-640x480.jpeg
28012-640x480.jpeg
28014-640x480.jpeg
28011-512x384.jpeg

I can wiggle my phone in there for some better pics if anyone wants to see them. There's lots of stuffing in these cabinets, that's for sure. The front baffle is 1 3/4" thick, with the woofers recessed into it 3/4". They're very solid speakers. They weigh over 40 lbs apiece.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They went for it. When I got the quotes from PhaseTech I was kinda gutted. They want too much. I can't believe I found exactly what I needed to fix that speaker elsewhere and cover both with socks so fast. They're actually gonna be looking and sounding like real speakers soon!

Fingers crossed the crossover isn't the problem...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, I read a couple posts on a forum saying that Aleene's Tacky Glue is good to use for little repairs like that. It's water soluble, dries flexible and can be thinned out a little. A tiny piece of thin sandwich baggie on the backside with a tiny drop of that glue in the tear and it shouldn't even be visible. I'm gonna take @zieglj01's advice and contact Parts Express too and see what they might suggest.

*Edit: I found this speaker repair glue, and some black rubber cement just using site search. They're both kinda pricey for 1 oz...

Last edited:
R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Perhaps you’d like to add in some filler and caulk the insides?

Replacing the gasket tape around the frames of the woofer and tweeter may also be worth while.

Little stuff like that can go a big way.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Perhaps you’d like to add in some filler and caulk the insides?

Replacing the gasket tape around the frames of the woofer and tweeter may also be worth while.

Little stuff like that can go a big way.
The tear in the replacement woofer I bought is very tiny, so I think I can fix it with very minimal materials. They're rubber surrounds also, so I should be able to make the seam invisible. My thinking is I don't want to use any heavy materials or globs of caulk for the patch that would change the way the speaker moves. If it was foam I'd consider replacing, but again, I'd have to get surrounds with the exact same qualities for it to sound the same wouldn't I?

*Edit: I just realized you meant filling in the nicks and marks on the cabinets! Lol, duh. That's actually not a bad idea at all.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis