REL HT 1508 Predator

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
just curious why don't more people use pro gear for bass? I use a pair of 18" reinforcement speakers and they are very fast and effortless to above 120db they have great impact for movies.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
just curious why don't more people use pro gear for bass? I use a pair of 18" reinforcement speakers and they are very fast and effortless to above 120db they have great impact for movies.
For me they don't go low enough. What the hell is "fast"?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Same here.

Pro gear can offer really good value. But for most people, the big negatives are connections can be difficult and confusing, and dealing with gain structure can be hard. As with lovinthehd, pro subs are not made for theater, and roll off much too high. Good for kick drums, but not Godzilla...
Plus, most pro gear is uuuuugleeee!
Fast though?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have compared specs and prices.
That certainly isn't the way I would gauge value, but the word 'value' is a subjective quality that means different things to different people. Manufacturer specifications in audio products seldom have little to do with real world performance.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
That certainly isn't the way I would gauge value, but the word 'value' is a subjective quality that means different things to different people. Manufacturer specifications in audio products seldom have little to do with real world performance.
but

True ....However, I found that measured results found at https://www.data-bass.com generally supports what Rythmk publishes.

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
When I said fast I meant that the drivers are much lighter in weight than a traditional sub and sound very quick not boomy, your right about the low end but paired with my mains and room gain it gets down to 25hz with little drop.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
That’s a word I as well as many other people would use to describe a subwoofer. You know exactly what we are talking about when we say that, why don’t you educate better? Is it enclosure type amplifier power or ratio of the two that cause a subwoofer to sound fast or tight?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That’s a word I as well as many other people would use to describe a subwoofer. You know exactly what we are talking about when we say that, why don’t you educate better? Is it enclosure type amplifier power or ratio of the two that cause a subwoofer to sound fast or tight?
None of the above. A 25hz note/tone is a 25hz note/tone. A sub can produce it or it can’t. Integration into the system makes them “fast”. Impulse response, and good crossover integration is what it takes, and lots of people think a sub can be fast or slow but that’s not true. Now cabinet design, damping, amp selection etc will effect a subs “sound” but not its speed. See the link to data-bass. Much more eloquence than I have.

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
these are passive high velocity horn loaded design and have excellent electrical to acoustic conversion with very little compression.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why don't I educate better? LOL. It's a stupid term, and hard to know what people mean by it. You might read the bass myths I posted....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
When I said fast I meant that the drivers are much lighter in weight than a traditional sub and sound very quick not boomy, your right about the low end but paired with my mains and room gain it gets down to 25hz with little drop.
Lightweight drivers are of little consequence. Even with heavier drivers, a properly selected amp with good control, and a driver with good motor/magnet structure will be just as “fast”. It’s all about integration into the system.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I agree that the cone material is of minimal consequence if the motor is suitably strong to drive it... good driver design will accommodate for that, and then it is up to the builder to put the correct amp with it and power it sufficiently. Of course, the DSP programming must be accounted for, too.
And then... ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis