Tool's New Album, Finally!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Nothing like Vinnie and Darrell together. Such a sad story for those guys. One of the greatest bands of all time though. Too bad the recording quality is so bad on most of the albums.

This Tool album brought me back to when I heard Aenima for the first time. It opened me up to a different kind of metal. I still can't get enough of that album. This one I feel will be similar.
Agreed. And what’s crazy is iirc, vinnie and Darrell were both engineers. I remember when vulgar came out, I was pissed about digital recording which was kinda new and it sounded like plastic compared to cowboys. The kick drums still sounded awesome though.
And yeah, sad for sure. I feel like they would’ve self destructed before too long though. They kinda had been for years. Still, I’m becoming, god sized.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You just described the way I've always felt about Danny's kick drum. CCT sounds amazing. I love the way his kit sounds on this cd.
Ya know, I would love to sit behind his drums and stomp those kicks. Not sure many know this but Danny’s drums are made of melted down recycled Paiste cymbals.

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
I wonder how badly they tarnish and how fast
Must be a bitch to keep clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I wonder how badly they tarnish and how fast
Must be a bitch to keep clean

Lol. Not sure. That’s what the drum tech is for!!! Lol
They’re probably clearcoated so it’s not a thing. Maybe?

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
I used to be a soundtech and one band tried to get me to be the drummers tech. Lol
That was a 100% NOooooo

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I used to be a soundtech and one band tried to get me to be the drummers tech. Lol
That was a 100% NOooooo

That’s awesome! I takes a special person to be a drum tech. Lol

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
With the band getting older now I was hoping it wouldn't reflect negatively in the music. If anything they're even better. Not only have they not lost anything, Danny is more in the forefront than ever before and playing like a twisted genius wildman still!

This album sounds very good, like they made sure to take care in the mixing and recording. I KNOW what drums should sound like, I played for more than a few years and had a full kit set up in this very house. I've been listening to Chocolate Chip Trip at reference with the volume at 0 and his drums sound so good! Not just the kick @William Lemmerhirt mentioned earlier, his whole kit. His toms and snare have that ring to them like they should and I can hear the different resonances of each one. Very natural and realistic. They sound like they're in the room with me! I'm really starting to love this cd.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
With the band getting older now I was hoping it wouldn't reflect negatively in the music. If anything they're even better. Not only have they not lost anything, Danny is more in the forefront than ever before and playing like a twisted genius wildman still!

This album sounds very good, like they made sure to take care in the mixing and recording. I KNOW what drums should sound like, I played for more than a few years and had a full kit set up in this very house. I've been listening to Chocolate Chip Trip at reference with the volume at 0 and his drums sound so good! Not just the kick @William Lemmerhirt mentioned earlier, his whole kit. His toms and snare have that ring to them like they should and I can hear the different resonances of each one. Very natural and realistic. They sound like they're in the room with me! I'm really starting to love this cd.
I think so far the drums are even better on each album. I do honestly miss the metal sound from Undertow, but they have been alternative, not metal, after Undertow. :). Yes, every album is great but stuck on Undertow for me, as far as the pinnacle of this band... :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think so far the drums are even better on each album. I do honestly miss the metal sound from Undertow, but they have been alternative, not metal, after Undertow. :). Yes, every album is great but stuck on Undertow for me, as far as the pinnacle of this band... :)
Undertow will always hold a special place for me. It's the one that introduced me to Tool. I love the uncompressed semi-garage sound to it. Good bass too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Am I the only one who's picking up an 80's metal vibe from a few of the riffs and solos..? I'm talking like a touch of Iron Maiden, some old school Metallica and even some blues. Not any one song, just sorta sprinkled throughout. It's all Tool goodness. This cd definitely has its own personality.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Undertow will always hold a special place for me. It's the one that introduced me to Tool. I love the uncompressed semi-garage sound to it. Good bass too.
I’ve always felt like that was the best garage sounding album ever! Lol (although I did love Metallica’s garage days ep)

Am I the only one who's picking up an 80's metal vibe from a few of the riffs and solos..? I'm talking like a touch of Iron Maiden, some old school Metallica and even some blues. Not any one song, just sorta sprinkled throughout. It's all Tool goodness. This cd definitely has its own personality.
Yeah, some riffs, even just bits of them. Definitely not enough to say it sounds 80’s though.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Definitely. Not saying it sounds like an album from the 80's. Just little parts and bits where I can hear the influence.
Yeah, for sure. You mentioned a solo earlier, and last night when listening(EarPods ) one came on and I smiled because I’m sure that’s one that you were thinking of.
Btw, I really am enjoying this album. I’ve been really busy so I’ve been saving my indulgence for bedtime where I can soak it in(and decipher time sigs. Lots of 7 and 11). 10,000 days on the other hand was on almost constantly for quite awhile.
There’s only one TOOL.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, for sure. You mentioned a solo earlier, and last night when listening(EarPods ) one came on and I smiled because I’m sure that’s one that you were thinking of.
Btw, I really am enjoying this album. I’ve been really busy so I’ve been saving my indulgence for bedtime where I can soak it in(and decipher time sigs. Lots of 7 and 11). 10,000 days on the other hand was on almost constantly for quite awhile.
There’s only one TOOL.
I'll bet it is the solo I had in mind. Listening to "Pneuma" right now and there's a guitar riff that starts at 9 min 20 seconds to 9 min 35 seconds that just oozes old school 80's metal to me. Just that 15 or so seconds. Then it changes (surprise...) into something different. With Tool you get 2 or 3 songs in one, lol.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If I was to nit pick, at the 7min mark of Descending, that goes in a strange direction but comes back around again at the 8:30 mark and by the 9:40 mark, I’m all in. :). LOL

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'll bet it is the solo I had in mind. Listening to "Pneuma" right now and there's a guitar riff that starts at 9 min 20 seconds to 9 min 35 seconds that just oozes old school 80's metal to me. Just that 15 or so seconds. Then it changes (surprise...) into something different. With Tool you get 2 or 3 songs in one, lol.
I bet it is too. I really enjoy Pnuema, a lot. Very moody. Sometimes when I noodle on a guitar, my songs will sound like it.
Also, yes. One of my favorite things about some TOOL songs is how they start out as one song, and then by the end are totally transformed, but you still know it’s the same song!

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I'm finally getting mine today, supposedly. A certain carrier that uses brown trucks screwed up the routing and I've had to wait. Fortunately, the Tool YouTube channel has the songs.

Jim

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis