I Don’t Understand This Forum...

L

liquid360

Junior Audioholic
If you don't mind, why did you buy a Ferrari?
I drove them all...Lambo, Porsche, Aston, Rolls, McLaren, and Ferrari. The Ferrari 488’s combination of built quality, incredibly beautiful design, handling characteristics, power/speed, comfort, and their care for customers combined with the best warranty and maintenance plan I’ve ever heard of. The Ferrari didn’t have a single weakness. It’s was exactly what I was looking for in every aspect that was important to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It is an unfortunate attribute of this forum that any product that isn't in the "optimized for value" category is vilified. Especially in subwoofers, where huge ugly-looking ported black boxes with a cheap finish are what's usually recommended. And two of them. Amps aren't far behind. They all sound the same, you don't need that much power, AVR amp channels are good enough for almost anyone, all DACs are about equal, you don't need balanced interconnects... I could go on and on
As per usual you hit the nail on the head here. I think that it's mostly due to reason as most of us here can't afford hi-end audio nor hi-end cars. In that context, I personally see nothing wrong to advise potential buyers to stay away from overpriced toys and focus on a high performance/high-value components to achieve the best possible result while spending the least possible amount of hard-earned money.
This, of course, goes out of the window at some point of a budget being high enough. Let's say someone LIKE OP here is coming to ask a question on what are high quality and performance audio components he/she could purchase if the budget would not be a concern. God be my witness I won't recommend this person to use AVR instead of separates or huge ugly boxes of subs and/or speakers. There are very high-quality EXPENSIVE components but still a great value, like Salk Audio speakers for example.

Lots of times all of this is true, but sometimes it just plain isn't. For one thing, ergonomics and build quality do matter to some of us. For some more than others.
FTFY
I just ignore the cheapskates.
Now you're just being offensive.

My final point to OP: I would like to repeat some of the general notions in part already echoed above: You did not come here for advice prior to purchase, you came here for a pat on the back for choices already made.
Unfortunately, this isn't an echo chamber like Facebook. If members think that some of your choices aren't best you're going to hear about them. Now some of these opinions could be dead wrong, but if heed to some and do your homework, you may learn a thing or two.

Last edited:
L

liquid360

Junior Audioholic
As per usual you hit the nail on the head here. I think that it's mostly due to reason as most of us here can't afford hi-end audio nor hi-end cars. In that context, I personally see nothing wrong to advise potential buyers to stay away from overpriced toys and focus on a high performance/high-value components to achieve the best possible result while spending the least possible amount of hard-earned money.
This, of course, goes out of the window at some point of a budget being high enough. Let's say someone LIKE OP here is coming to ask a question on what are high quality and performance audio components he/she could purchase if the budget would not be a concern. God be my witness I won't recommend this person to use AVR instead of separates or huge ugly boxes of subs and/or speakers. There are very high-quality EXPENSIVE components but still a great value, like Salk Audio speakers for example.

FTFY

My final point to OP: I would like to repeat some of the general notions in part already echoed above: You did not come here for advice prior to purchase, you came here for a pat on the back for choices already made.
Unfortunately, this isn't an echo chamber like Facebook. If members think that some of your choices aren't best you're going to hear about them. Now some of these opinions could be dead wrong, but if heed to some and do your homework, you may learn a thing or two.
Not true at all, but ok. You missed my point entirely, but happily, I don’t care enough to correct you. Thanks for your input.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
No thank you. I'll stick with my original assertion.

Too bad. I'm weary of the everyone-needs-to-think-like-me attitude that is touted so often on this forum regarding this you-can-get-the-same-performance-cheaper line of thinking. Yes, there are expensive rip-offs out there, but cheap stuff is often cheap crap. Like that Tascam CD player I use as a CD transport. One of these days that thing is going to a donation center.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Too bad. I'm weary of the everyone-needs-to-think-like-me attitude that is touted so often on this forum regarding this you-can-get-the-same-performance-cheaper line of thinking. Yes, there are expensive rip-offs out there, but cheap stuff is often cheap crap. Like that Tascam CD player I use as a CD transport. One of these days that thing is going to a donation center.
What were you saying about grumpy old men? :rolleyes:;)

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I’m new to this forum. I just recently purchased an entirely new home theater and was looking for some advice on some aspects. Having spent most of life being relatively broke, i was showing off as i was proud of making such purchases. Not a single person I know in real life cares about such things. When you get something new, sometimes a little showing off isn’t bad. In a world without a little showing off, these forums would collapse.
I have spent a couple weeks reading posts here. A lot of us make these purchases and want to feel good about what we bought, beyond the joy of simply performance. You want to share your excitement and often those in our lives simply aren’t into audio video hardware. It’s a part of any forum. Here, from what I’ve seen, you make such posts at your peril. More times than not, you’ll be labeled a fanboy and shamed for having purchased X and told you wasted your money and should’ve bought X and we would’ve told you to buy X had you asked before purchase. I don’t see how this is constructive at all.
The next gen audiophiles believe in internet brands because they see the charts and trust them implicitly and like believing that cutting out the middleman means a better product for less money. Those preferring store brands are buying what they know and what sounds good to their ears. Each argues their point. To me, the internet brand supporters come on like members of a cult with the absolute belief that non believers are wrong and shall be shamed because they have charts/graphs which alone shall wisely dictate purchases. They will even invite you into their homes to share The Truth with their fellow man. Scientology anyone? Amway?
I read these threads and they make me cringe. Happily, my system is complete and I didn’t need that much advice anyways. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, has different tastes and hear things differently. Different aspects are important to different people. I take build quality into consideration far more than any chart. I lack the palate to discern a ‘57 Chateaux Margaux from ‘63 Chateau Petrus. I could only tell you what I liked.
Analogy Alert... I recently decided I wanted to buy an exotic car, a dream I’ve had since my youth. I went into this without a preference of ny specific car. I test drove them all over a 24hr period, beat day of my life. When it comes to “Supercars” the performance numbers are all within fractions of a second of each other. What kind of a lunatic would ever pick such a car based solely upon charts, graphs, and numbers? And never having driven one? No way. Speed, horsepower, torque, 0-60, 0-124, etc... once you get above a certain price point, they are all incredibly fast. Technologically, these are the best cars that have ever been made . You test drive the cars and pick the one that speaks to you. Even in this world, you will run into guys who will argue passionately that you made a mistake and that the car they love is the superior car and give you numbers which they feel should assist in proving to you that you made a mistake and your opinions are wrong. They truly can’t fathom how anyone could ever disagree and claim “you can’t argue numbers”. Ah, but you can. If you then respond and ask why do that to anyone? They will claim so that others won’t make the mistake of buying what they think is best. Hearing bitter arguments over OPINIONS... I just don’t get it. Buying an exotic car is no different than any other purchase. Buy what you like. However, if you come here expecting to find some kind of fellowship and support of your opinion... which is different, forget it. This is the wrong forum. If you want to share what you’ve bought and get berated for having the wrong opinions? This is where you should come, unless of course internet brands are your thing.
I LOVE exotic cars. They are beautiful, exciting, extreme, and insanely over the top. The engineering that goes into them is not to be believed. I go to car shows and gatherings to look at them. It’s fascinating to talk to others about this shared interest . I certainly have my favorites. At all the shows and all the gatherings, not once, not ever, has it, nor would it occur to me to tell someone they bought the wrong car, that X has a better power curve or 0-60 time. “Hey man, that’s a nice Bugatti, but if you were smart, you could’ve spent a fraction of what you paid and gotten a much faster car...” Arguing which car is best is insane. That would take a level of stupefying arrogance I simply don’t possess.
The only thing worse than being a “fanboy” is calling someone a “fanboy”.
It’s obvious, to my anyways, when someone is simply proud of their purchase. If you don’t like it just move on. Don’t use it as an opportunity to tell them that your opinions and priorities are better and then claim it’s “teaching”. You simply want what they want. To believe they made a good choice. If their choice was wrong? You believe your opinions are better?
Most of us don’t have the knowledge to argue performance numbers, for or against. And these numbers do not play a role in such a purchase, unless your ear contains a computer chip. What sounds better to you likely doesn’t to them. Using numbers to claim superiority doesn’t take anything into account beyond what a computer “hears”. Claiming otherwise is disingenuous at best.
It’s F’ing pathetic that I took the time to make this post, but I needed to vent. I’m assuming I’ll get torn a new one now, but c’est la vive. I’m good with that.

Good grief. Go away.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
"To me, the internet brand supporters come on like members of a cult with the absolute belief that non believers are wrong and shall be shamed because they have charts/graphs which alone shall wisely dictate purchases. They will even invite you into their homes to share The Truth with their fellow man. Scientology anyone? Amway?"

Science anyone? Reality anyone?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
"To me, the internet brand supporters come on like members of a cult with the absolute belief that non believers are wrong and shall be shamed because they have charts/graphs which alone shall wisely dictate purchases. They will even invite you into their homes to share The Truth with their fellow man. Scientology anyone? Amway?"

Science anyone? Reality anyone?
Hey OOP, haven't seen you for awhile. How've you been?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Just play media files from now on. 'Rip-n-Play'
I looked at that option in depth. Time-consuming, annoying, expensive (my CD collection would consume at least a terabyte assuming lossless files compressed at 2:1), and I'd still have to buy CDs for the original version. Tempting, but never enough to get me to do it.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I looked at that option in depth. Time-consuming, annoying, expensive (my CD collection would consume at least a terabyte assuming lossless files compressed at 2:1),and I'd still have to buy CDs for the original version. Tempting, but never enough to get me to do it.
I know what you mean. I finally took the time (several weekends) and ripped my entire CD collection to .flac. I never looked back. I use HDDs except for one SSD on a NAS. I use the free players, Audacity, Foobar, VLC, etc. It's so convenient and quick.

Man, I'll never go back to a CD player now.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Some of us are on a budget. The cost for my whole system might be your lunch budget for the week, but I had to do a lot of work to pay for it all. There's no way I can afford the super high end "best of the best" and appreciate budget conscious suggestions.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
and I'd still have to buy CDs for the original version. Tempting, but never enough to get me to do it.
Why can't you just rip the CDs you already own but buy new files from hdtracks.com and others?

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Some of us are on a budget. The cost for my whole system might be your lunch budget for the week, but I had to do a lot of work to pay for it all. There's no way I can afford the super high end "best of the best" and appreciate budget conscious suggestions.
I'll bet it sounds just as good as the expensive stuff, Pogre. I'm like you. Enjoy the music.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I looked at that option in depth. Time-consuming, annoying, expensive (my CD collection would consume at least a terabyte assuming lossless files compressed at 2:1), and I'd still have to buy CDs for the original version. Tempting, but never enough to get me to do it.
FLAC lossless compress typically 30 to 50% of the source file and a terabyte of data is drop in the ocean these days. I've recently bought recently 10TB WD external drive from BestBuy for $150

L

liquid360

Junior Audioholic
So, just so I understand. Unless you’re a budget shopper, and there’s nothing remotely wrong with that, you can’t be a part of your little club? You can share what you bought, but I can not? It’s bragging when I do the exact same thing you do? I do appreciate you’re not hiding the hypocrisy. Science matters, of course it does, but it isn’t all that matters since NOT EVERYONE HEARS THE SAME, WANTS THE SAME, SHARES YOUR PRIORITIES. I’m guessing in your world there would be just one choice? The one you think is best? We don’t all hear the same, jackass. I would recommend you do as I have and block/ignore me. Thankfully I won’t read your responses.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
So, just so I understand. Unless you’re a budget shopper, and there’s nothing remotely wrong with that, you can’t be a part of your little club? You can share what you bought, but I can not? It’s bragging when I do the exact same thing you do? I do appreciate you’re not hiding the hypocrisy. Science matters, of course it does, but it isn’t all that matters since NOT EVERYONE HEARS THE SAME, WANTS THE SAME, SHARES YOUR PRIORITIES. I’m guessing in your world there would be just one choice? The one you think is best? We don’t all hear the same, jackass. I would recommend you do as I have and block/ignore me. Thankfully I won’t read your responses.
Are you still going on with this!?!? To what end? What do you hope for? Man, you've got a fu..... Ferrari in front of your house and yet you're here whining because we didn't build you a monument for your audio purchase??

Have you had a few? I mean, unless you're fourteen, you gotta see how buying something and then running around Internet to see who'll pat you on the back is a bit daft.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis