National Vinyl Record Day

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
So, yesterday another "National Vinyl Record Day" came and went. I watched a local news broadcast, where a reporter interviewed a used record store hipster staff member and I waited for him to say it. Right on que, out came, "It sounds better than digital".

Sigh...

Don't get me wrong, if I was starting out collecting music, I'd be into vinyl, absolutely. But, although a vinyl record can sound better than a poorly mastered CD, it's not because it's a superior format, which is what this duded was implying.

With a 600-CD collection, all ripped to FLAC files onto a NAS and streamed through SONOS, I'm not about to start on a "new" format again. I really don't like the prices of new vinyl either...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
So, yesterday another "National Vinyl Record Day" came and went. I watched a local news broadcast, where a reporter interviewed a used record store hipster staff member and I waited for him to say it. Right on que, out came, "It sounds better than digital".

Sigh...

Don't get me wrong, if I was starting out collecting music, I'd be into vinyl, absolutely. But, although a vinyl record can sound better than a poorly mastered CD, it's not because it's a superior format, which is what this duded was implying.

With a 600-CD collection, all ripped to FLAC files onto a NAS and streamed through SONOS, I'm not about to start on a "new" format again. I really don't like the prices of new vinyl either...
Mid 1990s into early 2000s was the prime time to take up vinyl collecting!

Vinyl was dirt cheap and decent TTs could be found cheap or free.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I'm quite happy that I left vinyl decades ago as it is an inferior physical medium, and when I bought the LPs as a kid I usually copied them to tape. It seems that the younger generation, at least compared to me, is buying this and think it is great. Sure, but I think it is more about fondling something, but I prefer to fondle my wife and not some LPs :)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Mid 1990s into early 2000s was the prime time to take up vinyl collecting!
mid 60's to 'now' for me, my vinyl collection has grown slowly over the past decade(currently @1500 + or -) but I still enjoy the ritual !

Vinyl was dirt cheap and decent TTs could be found cheap or free.
still is relative to inflation, if you know where and how to find it !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Vinyl is nice for nostalgia and surface noise and more distortion. Can be euphonic to some. The physical handling and larger font on notes just aren't magic after you do it for many years IMO. I sure as heck wouldn't start over in vinyl. Rarely even use mine, altho I still have my collection and a good tt/cart.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
well if one is to start collecting and take that walk down memory lane I suppose you could start here ........

https://www.finance101.com/valuable-vinyl-records/40/
I've got some that have that sort of "collector" value, but not why I got them. I buy recordings to listen to, not collect for the valuation someone may put on them later due rarity etc (which is useless to me in any case, maybe to whomever inherits my stuff). I certainly wouldn't buy at "collector" value after the fact....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis