Tool's New Album, Finally!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Why make a thread? Because they're my favorite band of all time and it's been 13 years since they've released an album! Fans of this band know, the struggle is real. We've been clamoring and waiting for a new cd for over a decade, and now, finally, they're releasing their new cd on August 30th.

Tool are truly a talented and groundbreaking band. Their style is very heavy at times while also staying melodic. They're not your typical head bangers by a longshot. They like to play with unusual time signatures and intricate patterns, based a lot around their drummer, Danny Carey. Widely considered one of the most influential drummers of our era, his complicated drumming patterns and unusual time signatures underscore the heavy bass, growling guitar and Maynard's sometimes feral but controlled vocals with power, subtlety and dexterity. Any drummer should check him out. When I attempt to describe their sound I might say, think of a heavier version of Pink Floyd, maybe a little Zeppelin (they actually do a pretty good cover of "No Quarter", below)? They're not really either of those, but I hear their influence.

But there's more...

Maynard James Keenan’s [Tool's frontman] store is holding a new Tool album listening party a day before the official release date of the band’s new album. The party will take place on Thursday, August 29th from 4 to 6PM at 140 Main Street in Jerome, Arizona. It is advertised as a free event, “First come – first served. Listen to the new album and reserve your CD for the 8/30 release. We will open an hour early (10AM) for those who reserved a copy of the album.”"

Clicky

I live a couple of hours from Jerome! Eeek! I have enough time to plan this! I think I'm gonna go! I don't get out much any more, but I'm pretty stoked about this! I think I'm gonna go meet Maynard and listen to the new album a day early! That's so cool, I'm so stoked, lol. Haven't told my wife about it yet, but I know she'll go for it. Aside from a few bucks in gas, it's also free!

I have plenty of time to compose myself so I don't fanboy out on him too. I'll keep cool. He's been known to get annoyed with overzealous fans.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This track, Lateralus, is pretty much the definitive Tool song. The time signature is based around the Fibonacci Sequence. Even the number of syllables in the lyrics follow the pattern! This is a fan made video done years ago that does a really great job pointing out the math permeating through this song. Really cool. Enjoy (hopefully)!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You BETTER go!!!!! Lol.
I’m also a huge tool fan, and have been waiting way too long.
Here’s a good example of the math sometimes used. The Fibonacci sequence...
https://www.fibonicci.com/fibonacci/tool-lateralus/
Danny Carey is a beast and an absolute machine when it comes to time. As a drummer, I’ve been long inspired by his creativity and unique approach to his instrument. One other that I can say that about is Jimmy Sullivan. RIP REV.
Can’t wait for this album. Oh wait, yeah I can. It’s only a month now!!!

Lmao, poges, ya beat me to it while I was clicking away!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I knew you'd poke your head in here!

This clip is from an interview Maynard did on Joe Rogan's (one of my favorite people) podcast. He kinda gets into some of the issues behind why it took so long. They've been tied up in litigation (and the creative process) apparently.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I knew you'd poke your head in here!

This clip is from an interview Maynard did on Joe Rogan's (one of my favorite people) podcast. He kinda gets into some of the issues behind why it took so long. They've been tied up in litigation (and the creative process) apparently.

Saw that one! I love Rogan, and Maynard. Actually I think I fell in love with Danica Patrick on Joes show.

It’s too bad they way the litigation thing went. DUMB!!!!! What a waste.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My son might be going with me while my wife stays home with the dogs. She's a country music girl (opposites attract?) and shockingly, she's not nearly as interested in this as I am. My son however, likes Tool almost as much as I do. I guess decades of exposure won him over, lol.

I hope he can make it (he's on vacation on a cruise line with his gf right now). It's a lot more fun to go with someone who shares the same interests.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My son might be going with me while my wife stays home with the dogs. She's a country music girl (opposites attract?) and shockingly, she's not nearly as interested in this as I am. My son however, likes Tool almost as much as I do. I guess decades of exposure won him over, lol.

I hope he can make it (he's on vacation on a cruise line with his gf right now). It's a lot more fun to go with someone who shares the same interests.
That sounds like a really good time. My oldest is almost 17 now, so it can be hard to tie him down for some real bonding. I just do what I can. Have a great time!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Saw that one! I love Rogan, and Maynard. Actually I think I fell in love with Danica Patrick on Joes show.

It’s too bad they way the litigation thing went. DUMB!!!!! What a waste.

Just uploaded yesterday. I think he's given his best interviews on JRE. He seems to genuinely like Joe, which is an accomplishment...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Just uploaded yesterday. I think he's given his best interviews on JRE. He seems to genuinely like Joe, which is an accomplishment...
Apparently they're friends. Maynard was a huge BIll Hicks fan as well. Clip of Bill in Third Eye on the AEnima album.

Also, one of my favorite bands. Best concert I've ever been to without a doubt. Seeing what Danny can do live is one of the most impressive things I've ever seen.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Apparently they're friends. Maynard was a huge BIll Hicks fan as well. Clip of Bill in Third Eye on the AEnima album.

Also, one of my favorite bands. Best concert I've ever been to without a doubt. Seeing what Danny can do live is one of the most impressive things I've ever seen.
Yeah, Maynard tried doing stand up for a little while and met Bill. He really admired him. I know the clip you're talking about. Him dying messed Maynard up for a bit. He talked about it in the first podcast.

Danny Carey is amazing. I have trouble thinking through his patterns, let alone try to play them. Always busy with unique, tribal patterns and rock steady on time. With wierd, hard to count time signatures and polyrhythms on top of it. He sits firmly in the upper echelon with some of the GOAT. Do you know about a side project he did with Green Jelly back in the 90's? I'm pretty sure it was a one off album (Cereal Killer),but at least it gave us this!

I can't find a citation, but I'm pretty sure that Adam Jones from Tool did the claymation and Maynard, Les Claypool and... um, Pauly Shore guest star as the 3 piggies!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, Maynard tried doing stand up for a little while and met Bill. He really admired him. I know the clip you're talking about. Him dying messed Maynard up for a bit. He talked about it in the first podcast.

Danny Carey is amazing. I have trouble thinking through his patterns, let alone try to play them. Always busy with unique, tribal patterns and rock steady on time. With wierd, hard to count time signatures and polyrhythms on top of it. He sits firmly in the upper echelon with some of the GOAT. Do you know about a side project he did with Green Jelly back in the 90's? I'm pretty sure it was a one off album (Cereal Killer),but at least it gave us this!

I can't find a citation, but I'm pretty sure that Adam Jones from Tool did the claymation and Maynard, Les Claypool and... um, Pauly Shore guest star as the 3 piggies!
Oh yeah, still got my vhs copy baby!!! Iirc, Adam did a lot of work on their videos. I believe he was a film major.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh yeah, still got my vhs copy baby!!! Iirc, Adam did a lot of work on their videos. I believe he was a film major.
That's right! It was only available on vhs for the longest time! They finally did release the cd eventually. That song was the first single that debuted only available in video form. They used to play the poop out of it on MTV.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Yeah, his style is very complex. He's apparently a jazz drummer...whatever that means.

My brother was in a band for a bit and his drummer's dad is apparently friends with Danny. Danny supposedly helped teach the kid to play. Needless to say that kid was one hell of a drummer. Did too many drugs though...shame really.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@TheWarrior I'm very familiar with those! I thought the girl singing The Pot did a fantastic job. The whole band managed to keep a "heavy" sound to the music with all brass! I was super impressed! Check out this version of 46 & 2 by some kids at the Aaron O'Keefe music foundation.

Alex, are you a fan of Tool?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My son will not be able to make it so I may be going by myself. No biggie. In fact it might make things easier because I'm not above sleeping in my truck so I can buy my reserved copy the next morning when the store opens. Yes, I'm too cheap to pay for a room, lol. The listening party/reserve your copy is on thursday and they start selling on Friday morning. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive for me and I don't really wanna spend ten hours on the road there and back twice in less than 24 hours. Plus there are rumors of the new cd coming with packaging equipped with led lights and might cost 100 dollars?!

Surely that's not the only available way to purchase their cd and is an option for the hardcore fans. Dunno. It's just s rumor right now.

Decisions decisions... as we get closer I may change my mind and reserve a room, but this makes me feel like I was a teen going to a concert again. I've spent plenty of time sleeping in my vehicle back in the day for goofy stuff like this. All I need is a pillow and my sleeping roll. Plenty of room in the bed of my truck!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
@TheWarrior I'm very familiar with those! I thought the girl singing The Pot did a fantastic job. The whole band managed to keep a "heavy" sound to the music with all brass! I was super impressed! Check out this version of 46 & 2 by some kids at the Aaron O'Keefe music foundation.

I love watching kids crank out music with such a level of proficiency!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I love watching kids crank out music with such a level of proficiency!
The young lady doing the vocals kinda blew me away! Yeah, those kids are good. They pretty much nailed it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here's another one of my favorite Tool covers by a very talented female drummer who goes by "Meytal Cohen" on youtube. She has a lot of stuff on there and takes on some really challenging pieces. Plus I think I might be in love with her... shhh! :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, one more in a row and I'll stop spamming my thread. @William Lemmerhirt might dig this one. It looks and sounds like a bootleg that's been remastered. It sounds better than a phone job, but definitely looks like one.

Check out Danny's gong behind him! I'm surprised he doesn't have a kitchen sink in his kit too.

I did just find out also that Tool has an official YouTube page now, tho there's nothing on it atm. Maynard announced in the podcast that for the first time in the band's history they're officially releasing their whole back catalog of music for streaming on all the major services. Up until now you couldn't stream anything of theirs that had their blessing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis