Wireless stereo transmitter and receiver for passive speakers?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Any experience with good or bad ones? I would like to hook up 2 surround speakers without running wires.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
How much do you have to spend?

Bluetooth systems are the cheapest option, but are also notoriously unreliable. Might start there, as long as you get something with a generous return policy. The Avantree Oasis system seems to get better than average reviews.

If Bluetooth doesn’t work for you, the only thing left is something from the pro audio market. Price of admission there, as far as I can see, starts at about $250 for a transmitter - receiver system.

Of course, you also need an outboard amplifier for the rear speakers.

All it all, it would probably be cheaper to hire a professional to run wires by the time you buy all the necessary hardware.

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/wireless-speakers-for-surround-sound-don’t-ask-it’s-a-mess.2057/

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited:
T

thebrieze

Junior Audioholic
Bluetooth will likely have a lot of lag and wouldn’t be good for a surround sound application. One possibility might be to look for a BT transmitter and receiver that both has Aptx LL (low latency) listed in the codecs and somehow force the usage of that codec. Note that Aptx LL is very new, so your options will be limited right now till more manufacturers release products.

Amazon sells a number of RF (radio frequency) based transmitter/receivers specifically for these purposes. RF works from a latency perspective, but is notorious for interference- WiFi signals, microwaves etc. I tried one of these and had more cut outs from interference than actual sound. After speaking to a few manufacturers who confirmed

I think your best option might be Bluetooth based with Aptx LL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Bluetooth will likely have a lot of lag and wouldn’t be good for a surround sound application.
Most modern AVR's set "distance" during the setup phase. basically, this is setting the timing of all speakers so they will arrive at the Listening Position at the same time. I am pretty sure they would accommodate the BT lag just fine (but obviously those speakers will show as being farther away than they actually are).

Jon AA

Jon AA

Audioholic
You might want to give this a try: http://www.amphony.com/products/t800.htm

I recently picked up the 800 transmitter and two 880 wireless amps to provide music/news in the shop without running wires. I can't 100% recommend them for your application because I haven't tested the delay and I do occasionally get brief (like 1/10th second or so) drop outs--usually when walking right up to a speaker and standing in front of it. But in my case they're transmitting about 40 feet through a wall and a couple steel cabinets so I wouldn't expect that under better conditions but I can't be sure.

Anyway, I've been extremely happy with the setup. The sound is crisp and crystal clear. I've used several systems in the past and always had interference noise (buzzing, popping, etc) and there is never any of that with these. The amps appear to be a legit 80 watts and when hooked to good speakers can get very loud.

The transmitter is quite versatile in that it has line-level and speaker level inputs. This means you can hook it up to any old or low budget AVR that doesn't have pre-outs just like a set (or two sets--it's four channel) of speakers. The systems I've used in the past had headphone jack inputs which are very difficult to use in an application such as yours. And the wireless amps will turn any old speaker into a powered speaker. If you have powered speakers, you can get the wireless receivers instead and save a bit of money.

In any case, while I can't be 100% certain, I do think this system has a very good chance of doing what you want to do very well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis