Yamaha CX-A5200 and MX-A5200

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yea I was expecting them to at least up the processing to 13CH. I don't think they will replace this unit for a few more years though. Yamaha typically doesn't change flagship products more than once every 4 years or so.
I know, but in this case I assume the A5200 is a stop gap measure and they probably reserve the real upgrade for year 2020 assuming they will be ready to include HDMI 2.1 and full 8 K support. Apparently D&M are deferring their 2019 AVR above the SR6014 and AVR-X3600H models to 2020 for similar reasons.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know, but in this case I assume the A5200 is a stop gap measure and they probably reserve the real upgrade for year 2020 assuming they will be ready to include HDMI 2.1 and full 8 K support. Apparently D&M are deferring their 2019 AVR above the SR6014 and AVR-X3600H models to 2020 for similar reasons.
Good point.

They can take this time to fix this Front L/R XLR issue with the A5200 and perfect it in the A5300, along with 8K video/HDMI 2.1.

I also want them to simplify the A5300 even more by removing most RCA and legacy connectors. But that probably won’t happen. :D

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I think you may find, back when ADTG first posted the specs for the 5200, I suggested it was a compliance move to cover the 5100 from the required Dolby changes. It was to apply to all current models, although given Denon and Marantz reluctance, it may just now apply to new ones as of this year. I do not see any indications the Denon 8500H or Marantz 8805 getting the update, my 6012 has had two updates this year and nothing has changed in that regard. Who knows perhaps Dolby will drop this entirely. :rolleyes:

IMO the 5200 was a disappointment with only minor tweaks and therefore not worth an upgrade for me. It is still a fine processor, minus obviously Gene's recent findings.

Since Yamaha does like to do Hdmi right, with the certification, then most likely they will wait with the 2.1/8K chips impending. Additionally there will be a few more 8K offering from Tv/Projector manufacturers. Hopefully they will do 13 or 15 and give us 9.2.6 options.:cool: I could be wrong but I don't think Yamaha has done wides previously, I certainly can't remember any models with it, but it would be nice.

Auro 3D aside, I don't believe there is any new codecs beyond the Dolby equivalent of Virtual Nerual X and the 5200 could probably be upgraded with it (honestly there is no real reason the 5100 could not get it either). Dts:X Pro however may need to wait for the next model and it would be a good reason to up the channel count, it would not likely alter/improve the existing models.

Last thing:rolleyes:, question for Gene, since we don't have a dedicate thread as yet. The issue you noticed in the MX5200 regarding the channel power drop, very nice video and well worth the watch for me.:) This was only when one channel was linked and the other one wasn't. You got two readings, one where it stayed at the expected power and one where it dropped to half. Was that only one or both channels of the unlinked pair the drop occurs? Were the other remaining 7 unaffected since they cannot be linked?

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I also want them to simplify the A5300 even more by removing most RCA and legacy connectors. But that probably won’t happen. :D
Just stop it you barbarian, some of us still use those:eek: Yes svideo and component can go but coax, optical and rca are still useful for a number of things. You could probably reduce the numbers if it was less dedicated and more re-assignable. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just stop it you barbarian, some of us still use those:eek: Yes svideo and component can go but coax, optical and rca are still useful for a number of things. You could probably reduce the numbers if it was less dedicated and more re-assignable. :)
Of course, Yamaha isn’t going to listen to me. :D

There is a product for everyone.

If I want very little connectors, I need to spend the money.

The Theta, DataSat, Bryston, and upcoming ATI and Monolith pre-pros all have minimal connectors- mainly XLR and HDMI, Ethernet, one or two Optical and Coaxial, but almost no analog stuff.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I would think that most people do find use for the RCA I/Os, just not the 7.1 RCA inputs. All my AVRs and AVPs have 7.1 RCA inputs, even my oldest Denon AVR-3805. I replaced my 8801 with the X4400H and was actually delighted to see the 7.1 analog inputs not there. Never used them, never missed them. Same with all my media players.. AVR/AVPs are so jam-packed now, imo it is high time to starting eliminating as many legacy connections as possible. People who are still using them may just need a little help for them to let go..;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
People who are still using them may just need a little help for them to let go..;)
I was thinking that if you can afford these $2K+ components, then you can afford to to go all digital connections and XLR.

That's selfish (and barbaric :D) thinking, but actually this idea came from Theta, DataSat, ATI, Bryston.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was thinking that if you can afford these $2K+ components, then you can afford to to go all digital connections and XLR.

That's selfish (and barbaric :D) thinking, but actually this idea came from Theta, DataSat, ATI, Bryston.

Good to see someone is taking the lead. I don't mind more HDMI inputs though, I used/am using every single one of them on my 8801 and X4400H.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I would think that most people do find use for the RCA I/Os, just not the 7.1 RCA inputs. All my AVRs and AVPs have 7.1 RCA inputs, even my oldest Denon AVR-3805. I replaced my 8801 with the X4400H and was actually delighted to see the 7.1 analog inputs not there. Never used them, never missed them. Same with all my media players.. AVR/AVPs are so jam-packed now, imo it is high time to starting eliminating as many legacy connections as possible. People who are still using them may just need a little help for them to let go..;)
I am all hdmi the past few years in my 3 rooms with 2016/2017 Yamahas. Yes I’m using ARC too.

The only RCAs needed for me are for subs. :)

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
It's obscene, I know, but I would like to see a full compliment of analog inputs and up the 7.1 count to 7.1.4 at leasto_O. We rarely upgrade everything at once, so legacy connections are an important bridge between. :)

Back in the day (~30 years ago) with my original Sony midi system I used those to get surround out of the Yamaha Dvd player. During the Pioneer E07/Ax10 era I used them to provide Sacd, since I was running a Denon Dvd which had the Denon link, not the I Link connector.:rolleyes: Later on I used the analogue inputs with the PC to do True HD and Dts HDMA. I don't currently use the 5100 inputs, but I am using 6 of Marantz inputs for overheads and wides. The opticals are being used by both with Tv and Projector for audio. Arc is still unreliable for me.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It's obscene, I know, but I would like to see a full compliment of analog inputs and up the 7.1 count to 7.1.4 at leasto_O. We rarely upgrade everything at once, so legacy connections are an important bridge between. :)

Back in the day (~30 years ago) with my original Sony midi system I used those to get surround out of the Yamaha Dvd player. During the Pioneer E07/Ax10 era I used them to provide Sacd, since I was running a Denon Dvd which had the Denon link, not the I Link connector.:rolleyes: Later on I used the analogue inputs with the PC to do True HD and Dts HDMA. I don't currently use the 5100 inputs, but I am using 6 of Marantz inputs for overheads and wides. The opticals are being used by both with Tv and Projector for audio. Arc is still unreliable for me.
What Blu-ray player do you have? Mine are all Sony’s from 2017 and 2018

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No, I'd probably wait for Sound United to release a pre/pro under the Classe brand if it has my wishlist feature set. In the meantime, the CX-A5100 is doing a good job holding me over ;)
I was hoping the upcoming ATI ATP-16's MSRP would be around $6K, but it's $10K.

I guess that's not on your potential list?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Last thing:rolleyes:, question for Gene, since we don't have a dedicate thread as yet. The issue you noticed in the MX5200 regarding the channel power drop, very nice video and well worth the watch for me.:) This was only when one channel was linked and the other one wasn't. You got two readings, one where it stayed at the expected power and one where it dropped to half. Was that only one or both channels of the unlinked pair the drop occurs? Were the other remaining 7 unaffected since they cannot be linked?
Yes this is only limited to the front channels which are bridgeable. If you're gonna bridge one, you better bridge them both. I was hoping to just bridge one and use for the center channel and the other 8 amps for my surrounds but that won't work. I'd have to bridge a pair to use as my side surrounds but my center still gets normal power. Oh well.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I was hoping the upcoming ATI ATP-16's MSRP would be around $6K, but it's $10K.

I guess that's not on your potential list?

No for 2 reasons:
1. No OSD overlay. Hate setting up processors via PC or tablet.
2. ATI doesn't really cut good deals for reviewers like most manufacturers do.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
What Blu-ray player do you have? Mine are all Sony’s from 2017 and 2018
Actually none really, it's a dedicated PC server. Amazingly the Yamaha, Denon and an old Toshiba HD Dvd players are still working, but I have an Xbox One S plugged just in case for a UHD or blu ray if needed.:)

Thank you for the update Gene.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Actually none really, it's a dedicated PC server. Amazingly the Yamaha, Denon and an old Toshiba HD Dvd players are still working, but I have an Xbox One S plugged just in case for a UHD or blu ray if needed.:)

Thank you for the update Gene.
Optical disks seem to be one of the most reliable technologies in the industry. I don't know if it would be so reliable if it wasn't developed for the computer industry concurrently!
What very few CD/DVD units I have had problems with were all with the open/close mechanism, but even the cheapest ones lasted well beyond the point where I would feel justified complaining. I have really cheap one from a $60 boombox that is over 3 decades old. The CD player still works great - it think their secret was to not attempt to have a drawer (it has a lid on top that opens and closes)!

Last edited:
I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
They should combine these units to make a Z11 successor one day :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hate setting up processors via PC or tablet.
Haha I thought I was the only one.. Just a totally different topic/side note, that's why I actually prefer Audyssey now than the seemingly more reputable Anthem ARC and dread the idea of using Dirac Live with external gear like miniDSP. I wish manufacturers would up their budget a little and equip AVR/AVP(C)s with the higher power DSP so that everything/features can be set up via the remote, OSD, mobile phones/tablets.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Yamaha MX-A5200 11CH Amplifier Preliminary Measurements

Found a perplexing issue on the MX-A5200 11CH amplifier. The FFT in bridged mode produces much higher odd order harmonic distortion products. I attached a plot comparing the single amp vs bridged amp modes both tested at 1 watt. This is a shame because the bridged mode produced really impressive power levels as you can see it the plots below the FFT.

MX-A5200 FFT-1watt-1-single-vs-bridged-2.JPG

CH1 (blue) single amp mode
CH 2 (red) bridged mode
Note: the odd harmonics are >10dB worse for bridged vs single mode. When the amp is cold, the differences aren't as dramatic as when you let the amp run steadystate for a long period of time. Also, the 120Hz hum (power supply hum after rectifier circuit) gives me pause.

Yet, bridged mode belted out some impressive power #s far exceeding the 200watt (8 ohm) rating by Yamaha.

MX-A5200-Psweep-2CH8ohm-bridged.jpg

250 watts/ch 0.1% THD+N both channels driven, 8 ohms!

MX-A5200-Psweep-2CH4ohm-bridged.JPG

400 watts/ch 0.1% THD+N, 2CH driven, 4 ohms!

I wish things would be a bit more tidy with the FFT so I could be happy about writing up this review :/

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis