highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
On a more serious note considering that statement, being a Chef is a completely unsustainable lifestyle. I think, especially considering the gift that Bourdain gave us with his writing and commentary over the years, it is recognized how harsh an environment kitchens are. The better the kitchen, usually the worse the lifestyle as we live to do nothing but be better than we were the day before (for some of us, at least). The sad truth is that I’ve seen and experienced too much in 20 some-odd years as a professional in the industry.
I embraced a different approach while I was doing Fine Dining in San Francisco. Leading up to that career change at 30 years old, I had been doing Taiji and studying Eastern Philosophy pretty hard. After a few hard lessons in my first Fine Dining kitchen, I started applying myself as a Warrior rather than just another Screw Up. Five years and 3 world class restaurants later I started my own business as a Private Chef for some high profile families. I’ve run that business since 2008, now just doing pick up gigs for tourists in Wine County. I’ve also run a kitchen for a flagship winery doing multi-course pairings with their juice.
And now, I just want to figure out what I want to do as a grown up. :)
To bad you can’t get rich designing and building speakers!:oops:o_O:cool:
Go on Iron Chef & beat Bobby Flay, then continue to open more restaurants- that's what a couple of brothers who are distant relatives of mine did. They were already doing well, but that put them over the top.

What's wrong with cooking consistently good/great food at a reasonable price relative to the cost of ingredients, place and staff? At some point, the amount of 'better than yesterday' that can be brought diminishes and, I suspect, so does the enjoyment of the profession- who said people working in the restaurant industry need to be miserable?

You can certainly get rich designing speakers, but you have to do some pretty fancy tap dancing and be pretty loose with the descriptions. Paying celebrities to say your products doesn't hurt, either. While you're at it, you might as well get into the headphone business and make sure the NFL and other high-profile uses can be found so your name can be seen by millions of people every week.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I wasn't referring to $300/bottle wine- there's a lot of very drinkable wines, beers and spirits that cost far less without being in the category of 'rot gut' which could be used for cooking.

Having said that, let's see some recipes that call for Blue Nun, Boone's Farm and MD 2020.
Not directed at your comment, Highfigh, just an addendum to. :)
I've had a long running sensitivity to the celebrity chefs that act like we can all afford to cook with the good stuff. In particular, one celebrity Italian Chef from the Wine Country who used to have cooking shows on PBS back in the early 2000's, who has subsequently fallen into disfavor due to his questionable treatment of employees, used to always say that.
Sure it sounds good and plays to all our desires to live the dream! It accomplishes nothing, though. Yes, it does well illustrate the concept of "garbage in, garbage out." It also embodies a frivolity which encourages living beyond ones means.

To your last, presumably tongue in cheek invitation... :eek:o_O:oops:
...I, quite frankly, will not post the link I found that led to a youtube video for recipes containing MD20/20.
It hurt, just the first 20 seconds I watched, and I am dumber for the experience.

:p

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
It’s sad, but I am going to Austin for the express purpose of waiting hours in line to taste me. Franklin’s food!
About 30 years ago our circuit card mfg plant was in Austin. I went there frequently. At that time, The County Line was the place to go for bbq. There were 2 locations. Don't know if they survived, but it was a "Must Go" spot then.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Having said that, let's see some recipes that call for Blue Nun, Boone's Farm and MD 2020.
Oh my! Those bring back some, (fuzzy), memories.
MD2020 was indeed rotgut, for the guys to simply get drunk.
Boone's Farm was sweet and you could get the girls to drink it.
Blue Nun was "top shelf" and expensive, only for that special date.
:)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
About 30 years ago our circuit card mfg plant was in Austin. I went there frequently. At that time, The County Line was the place to go for bbq. There were 2 locations. Don't know if they survived, but it was a "Must Go" spot then.
Yep. It's still there, but now has so much competition that it's not really mentioned. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Oh my! Those bring back some, (fuzzy), memories.
MD2020 was indeed rotgut, for the guys to simply get drunk.
Boone's Farm was sweet and you could get the girls to drink it.
Blue Nun was "top shelf" and expensive, only for that special date.
:)
MD2020 is one of the worst things I've ever drank. A guy convinced me the grape tasted like jolly rancher. He was wrong. He was also wrong about drinking two bottles of that garbage. :oops:

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
MD2020 is one of the worst things I've ever drank. A guy convinced me the grape tasted like jolly rancher. He was wrong. He was also wrong about drinking two bottles of that garbage. :oops:
Ugh, what is MD2020? It sounds like some kind of toxic cleaning detergent, or something.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
There are a number of Big Green Egg forums on the web and the Facebook. Like here, you'll find a core group with pretty strong opinions, but you'll also find A LOT of smoker recipes, sauces, rubs and techniques. You can find similar stuff on the top offset smoker sites like Klose and GatorPits. These have several "professional" competition guys with their insights. Great places to spend a little free time and get some new ideas.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
There are a number of Big Green Egg forums on the web and the Facebook. Like here, you'll find a core group with pretty strong opinions, but you'll also find A LOT of smoker recipes, sauces, rubs and techniques. You can find similar stuff on the top offset smoker sites like Klose and GatorPits. These have several "professional" competition guys with their insights. Great places to spend a little free time and get some new ideas.
My friend has an egg, and while it's nice I wouldn't buy one.

The main reason is as a grill, I don't see it being any better than the Weber I currently have. As a smoker, once it's up to temp, you're not getting it down easily. That makes for a bad smoker. I don't want to get the temp up to 350 in error only to have to wait hours for it to cool down. Would ruin the meat.

That said, I'd LOVE to use one for a pizza oven. I've read the comados are fantastic for that.

highfigh

highfigh

Ugh, what is MD2020? It sounds like some kind of toxic cleaning detergent, or something.
It's usually referred to as 'Mad Dog 2020' and the '2020' refers to the former visual acuity of the drinker.:)

highfigh

highfigh

My friend has an egg, and while it's nice I wouldn't buy one.

The main reason is as a grill, I don't see it being any better than the Weber I currently have. As a smoker, once it's up to temp, you're not getting it down easily. That makes for a bad smoker. I don't want to get the temp up to 350 in error only to have to wait hours for it to cool down. Would ruin the meat.

That said, I'd LOVE to use one for a pizza oven. I've read the comados are fantastic for that.
You can't remove some of the burning wood to lower the temperature?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You can't remove some of the burning wood to lower the temperature?
Yes, but it's that it retains the heat since it's ceramic and thick. Had that issue on my friends when we smoked a pork loin. Traditional smokers you can just adjust the vents and get the temp in check. It doesn't take long either, unless you put WAY too much wood on the fire.

highfigh

highfigh

Yes, but it's that it retains the heat since it's ceramic and thick. Had that issue on my friends when we smoked a pork loin. Traditional smokers you can just adjust the vents and get the temp in check. It doesn't take long either, unless you put WAY too much wood on the fire.
Seems that it would be best to start small and see how it goes.

I know about thermal mass, being a bit of a Clydesdale.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Close. My only experience with MD2020 is in Iowa at a grocery store. You could turn in empty bottles & cans for $.05 each. Guy brought in his bag of cans and bottles he collected. Then stood at the booze counter with the shakes until the clock said they could legally sell. He got his bottle of MD2020. That was some serious sad.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Close. My only experience with MD2020 is in Iowa at a grocery store. You could turn in empty bottles & cans for $.05 each. Guy brought in his bag of cans and bottles he collected. Then stood at the booze counter with the shakes until the clock said they could legally sell. He got his bottle of MD2020. That was some serious sad.
Oof. Missouri. Same. Sad.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Seems that it would be best to start small and see how it goes.

I know about thermal mass, being a bit of a Clydesdale.
Correct. I guess it's hard to do if you're trying to smoke at 225 like I do. Much easier with my giant metal smoker. Plus, mine will last a lifetime if taken care of and cost me less than an egg would.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I really like my Pit Barrel Cooker for smoking but if I had to pick just one grilling device, it would be my 22" Weber. It's really versatile and not really that much less convenient than my gas grill.

I have considered getting a kamado for pizza and a pellet smoker but I really have enough grilling devices.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis