Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I will say that the brisket Swerd makes ( I do too with the same recipe) is about as good as Salt Lick"s. Of course its a lot more work. But we live in Maryland and there aren't any decent barbecue places nearby.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
If you're going to Austin for barbecue try going to the Salt Lick in Driftwood south west of Austin.
I will say that the brisket Swerd makes ( I do too with the same recipe) is about as good as Salt Lick's (in Driftwood, TX).
A few years ago, Dan went to a meeting in San Antonio. He took some BBQ day trips to Lockhart and Driftwood to taste their brisket. When he pronounced that we have nothing to be jealous about, I got a big big smile on my face. Texas, lookout!
But we live in Maryland and there aren't any decent barbecue places nearby.
You mean there aren't any decent commercial barbecue places nearby.
Thanks for the write up! I also use a Weber Bullet for smoking. I've done 2 briskets this year with very different results. First was a 4.5 lb flat from my butcher that was nicely trimmed. I seasoned that baby overnight and it was awesome!

The second was From Costco like you had. Like you, I learned two things. One, I forgot to season/dry brine overnight so it only got 1 hour in the morning while I was firing up the smoker. Second, I really don't like the extra thick fat layer on the cuts from Costco. It's too much fat. While tender, the fat layer didn't break down well and the flavor was only ok. I suspect the fat layer reduced the smoke intake and also greatly reduced the ability for the rub to do it's job. Also, not getting an overnight brine hurt the flavor. On the other hand, eating the leftovers on a nice hard roll smothered in a good BBQ sauce the next day was very nice.
Thanks. We all learn from each other. Your observations about the fat layer make sense and are similar to what I've noticed.

I've been trying to find out what is the least amount of time needed for the dry rub to do its job. So far, overnight is the shortest time I've done. Now I know 1 hour is not enough.
I'll have to try your posted rub recipe. I'm always looking to smoke up some meats. I need to do a pork shoulder.
When you do that, I'd like to know what you think. It would probably be fine on pork shoulder too, but tenderizing that isn't nearly so difficult.

In the spirit of honesty, my dry rub recipe came directly from a book named Legends of Texas Barbecue by Robb Walsh, published in 2002. The dry rub came from Jim Goode who founded Goode Company Barbecue in Houston. Dan & I adjusted the amount of salt, but everything else was unchanged.

I've heard of using apple cider to mop the meat instead of water, but I never thought of mixing it with bourbon.

Last edited:
Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
If you're going to Austin for barbecue try going to the Salt Lick. I went to the one in Driftwood south west of Austin. There is also one North of Austin and apparently in the airport in Austin but I wonder how good it can be there. Well worth it. And no lines! Great sauce and fabulous smoked sausage too. Better than Black's in Lockhart IMO. I'm no longer interested in waiting hours in line for food
I went to salt lick 7 years ago. Worth it. Bring your own beer.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Driftwood is a dry town and Salt Lick seemed to be the only thing in it I saw. Across the parking lot you are outside the town and they operate a package store there. You can buy your beer or wine there and bring it in. Only in Texas LOL!

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
but I used what I had in the liquor cabinet which was Buffalo Trace I think...my "good" bourbon is 4 roses single barrel.
If you think Buffalo Trace is cheap I wanna drink with you! I think that is about the best you can get at that price point. Love the whole Buffalo Trace line in general. The antiques are great when you can find them.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you think Buffalo Trace is cheap I wanna drink with you! I think that is about the best you can get at that price point. Love the whole Buffalo Trace line in general. The antiques are great when you can find them.
LOL...I never said it was cheap someone said to use cheap bourbon...lol, a lot of small batch stuff they do is top shelf, but I paid less for it than I did the 4 Roses single so that's why I used it.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
I just used a 50/50 mix in a shallow aluminum pan and refilled once it got low (about 5 hrs in)...I'm more of a tequila drinker than a bourbon guy, but I used what I had in the liquor cabinet which was Buffalo Trace I think...my "good" bourbon is 4 roses single barrel.

It adds a nice flavor in addition to the moisture. I'm probably going to smoke another brisket for Labor Day weekend so I'm going to hang onto the this thread for the BBQ sauce recipe
My bourbon is the house brand from Costco. When I use alcohol for cooking, I don't waste the good stuff. I'll buy cheaper to get the flavor and save the good stuff for proper enjoyment! But if you didn't have cheap stuff on hand...i think we can understand!

2channel lover

My bourbon is the house brand from Costco. When I use alcohol for cooking, I don't waste the good stuff. I'll buy cheaper to get the flavor and save the good stuff for proper enjoyment! But if you didn't have cheap stuff on hand...i think we can understand!
Spot on...maybe 2 years ago I went to a friends and had a few drinks....good stuff, I came to learn this was real good stuff, way over my head (McCallan 25 yr, Clase Azul Reposado, among them). Prior to that my spirits consumption was mostly a rum based mixed drink, or flavored rum over ice....you get the idea, it was rum, or it was rum....light or dark.

That experience at my friend's place sparked a thought. I don't have space for a real bar, so the past year or so I've been building a proper liquor cabinet, I wanted an everyday type and a top shelf type for each spirit. When I got to bourbon, my every day was Buffalo Trace and I'm still working on the top shelf option...I've had Blantons at a bar, but for now it's 4 Roses.

So...the handful of times I've used whisky in cooking I did some whisky scallops and then that brisket...BT was the cheaper of the two bourbons I had on hand. I've yet to re-stock the BT, but I've got some time before my next brisket to swing by to restock it and pick up something truly cheap for the next cook. :)

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Spot on...maybe 2 years ago I went to a friends and had a few drinks....good stuff, I came to learn this was real good stuff, way over my head (McCallan 25 yr, Clase Azul Reposado, among them). Prior to that my spirits consumption was mostly a rum based mixed drink, or flavored rum over ice....you get the idea, it was rum, or it was rum....light or dark.

That experience at my friend's place sparked a thought. I don't have space for a real bar, so the past year or so I've been building a proper liquor cabinet, I wanted an everyday type and a top shelf type for each spirit. When I got to bourbon, my every day was Buffalo Trace and I'm still working on the top shelf option...I've had Blantons at a bar, but for now it's 4 Roses.

So...the handful of times I've used whisky in cooking I did some whisky scallops and then that brisket...BT was the cheaper of the two bourbons I had on hand. I've yet to re-stock the BT, but I've got some time before my next brisket to swing by to restock it and pick up something truly cheap for the next cook. :)
Oh I get it. There is a difference. I did a job for a vodka company 4 years ago and we settled on a price and a case of vodka. I had avoided vodka for 20 years after a particular experience in college (never got that stain out of the couch). Then I tried the good stuff. Big difference! Now we keep a cheap ass Polish vodka for making pie crust (only pie crust I'll eat) and keep the good stuff for drinking.

I use spiced rum in my buttercream frosting. But I keep a cheap bottle of Captain Morgan for that.

I once had a nice bottle of scotch but I was in between homes and stored it at my mom's. She drank it. Haven't picked up any more since. I'm over due.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
We apparently have a shortage of Buffalo Trace and Weller around here. It isn't expensive, but it sure is good.

They can't keep Eagle Rare in stock either. Probably because it's aged 10 years and is excellent for the $35 they ask for it. Lots of places have it marked up to $60.

2channel lover

Oh I get it. There is a difference. I did a job for a vodka company 4 years ago and we settled on a price and a case of vodka. I had avoided vodka for 20 years after a particular experience in college (never got that stain out of the couch). Then I tried the good stuff. Big difference! Now we keep a cheap ass Polish vodka for making pie crust (only pie crust I'll eat) and keep the good stuff for drinking.

I use spiced rum in my buttercream frosting. But I keep a cheap bottle of Captain Morgan for that.

I once had a nice bottle of scotch but I was in between homes and stored it at my mom's. She drank it. Haven't picked up any more since. I'm over due.
Truth be told, I've never bought any liquor with the idea of using it for cooking so I never really bought a cheap anything, they were all intended to be drank....now I know to pick up a cheap bottle to have on hand.

Rum...My wife is from St Croix and the Cruzan Rum distillery is based on the island as is Captain Morgan now....so at $4 or $5 a bottle duty free, 6 bottles per person, every year we'd come back with a dz bottles or mostly rum...now you can see why rum was the libation of choice!

I was told by a bartender no less that it doesn't really pay to buy top shelf clear spirits because they all go from distillery to bottle in a matter of days, little to no aging. The distilling part is true, but that was proven not to be entirely true. There is a difference in quality in clear liquor.

Listening to him I just assumed all blanco tequila was the same and only worthy for mixing in margaritas. I bought Epsolon for years...then I started getting educating on tequila, went to a tequila bar, starting going to tastings, etc. and discovered a whole new world of truly sipping caliber blanco tequila.

So...I said that to say, I understand what you mean about that vodka you got. Speaking of scotch...I spent a good deal of time researching, tasting, and buying both scotch and tequila.

When you're ready to replace that bottle your mom took care of these are two good options.

A really good mid range single malt scotch.

Glenfarclas 12 yr...locally $45-50 / 750 ml, I both this as my everyday type scotch. I'm told Scots typically drink the 10 yr version over there...I've had the 10 yr. The 12 yr spends those final two yr in sherry barrels and it gives it a much more high end taste. Not as harsh as the 10 yr, you can drink this neat, but it has enough spice heat that my preference is with an ice cube

On the high end

Glenmorangie 18 yr...locally $100-125 / 750 ml...my threshold is $200 for any kind of liquor so unless I hit the lottery there's no way I'll ever own a bottle of McCallan 25 yr (anywhere from $1800 to $2k/750 ml.) This Glenmorangie also spends some time stored in sherry barrels and it's a smooth, smooth sipper much like the McCallan 25yr...not quite on that level, but it's close enough that $100 seems like a bargain comparatively speaking. This I would only drink neat no ice needed or watned...yeah some spice heat but no alcohol burn....worthy of a decanter imo.

Last edited:
jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
The second was From Costco like you had. Like you, I learned two things. One, I forgot to season/dry brine overnight so it only got 1 hour in the morning while I was firing up the smoker. Second, I really don't like the extra thick fat layer on the cuts from Costco. It's too much fat. While tender, the fat layer didn't break down well and the flavor was only ok. I suspect the fat layer reduced the smoke intake and also greatly reduced the ability for the rub to do it's job. Also, not getting an overnight brine hurt the flavor. On the other hand, eating the leftovers on a nice hard roll smothered in a good BBQ sauce the next day was very nice.
You really need to trim the fat cap to about 1/4 inch or so. That lets more smoke in while still keeping juices in. I've been using a Pit Barrel Cooker which makes cooking a decent brisket dead easy.

There's a really good web site for barbecuing, Amazing Ribs. It has recipes, gear reviews, and even stuff about the science of cooking. I got my favorite rub recipe for pork there, Memphis Dust. It's great on ribs and pork shoulder.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If it's not good enough to drink, why is it good enough to use for cooking?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Your method of counting is highly suspect, IMO. o_O
Suspect counting, oh my God. I did not say how big the pot is, did I :eek:

In reality the kitchen is a dangerous place with all the heat, sharp instruments, hygiene and what not, so not too many glasses of wine while cooking. That goes for the guests in the kitchen as well :)

highfigh

highfigh

In reality the kitchen is a dangerous place with all the heat, sharp instruments, hygiene and what not, so not too many glasses of wine while cooking. That goes for the guests in the kitchen as well :)
Ever see The Galloping Gourmet? He was ALWAYS hammered on TV until around 1980.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

As a chef, I must say I respect your stated caution. Also, at this point, I can’t even tell you how many times, recreational and professional, I’ve been liberally plied with alcohol or the like and still cook safely! Quoth B-Real: “you got to master your high!”
:eek:o_O:p
On a more serious note considering that statement, being a Chef is a completely unsustainable lifestyle. I think, especially considering the gift that Bourdain gave us with his writing and commentary over the years, it is recognized how harsh an environment kitchens are. The better the kitchen, usually the worse the lifestyle as we live to do nothing but be better than we were the day before (for some of us, at least). The sad truth is that I’ve seen and experienced too much in 20 some-odd years as a professional in the industry.
I embraced a different approach while I was doing Fine Dining in San Francisco. Leading up to that career change at 30 years old, I had been doing Taiji and studying Eastern Philosophy pretty hard. After a few hard lessons in my first Fine Dining kitchen, I started applying myself as a Warrior rather than just another Screw Up. Five years and 3 world class restaurants later I started my own business as a Private Chef for some high profile families. I’ve run that business since 2008, now just doing pick up gigs for tourists in Wine County. I’ve also run a kitchen for a flagship winery doing multi-course pairings with their juice.
And now, I just want to figure out what I want to do as a grown up. :)
To bad you can’t get rich designing and building speakers!:oops:o_O:cool:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If it's not good enough to drink, why is it good enough to use for cooking?
I would add, since I’m in a sharing mood it seems, if you sip $300 bottles of fine spirits... YOU DO NOT COOK WITH THAT!!! :)
For bourbon, I cook with Black Beam for example. When dealing with spirits, I always look for what is perhaps best considered High-Well at about $25 per bottle. For wine, I never spend less than $15 per bottle for cooking, assuming it’s American. If I choose a European wine other than a simple Italian white, I spend more, $30-40. (I rarely do that as it just doesn’t make sense, frankly... I don’t need to reduce by half a full bottle of Châteauneuf-du-Pape to add to my Beef Essence. :eek: A local Syrah for half the cost works and tastes better!)
One last note, as I do love my beer... I will always recommend avoiding cooking using s highly hop-forward beer. My favorite beers to cook with are the Old Stock Ale from North Coast in Fort Bragg, and Dogfish Head’s Palo Santo Maron. Malt forward and flavorful, I’ve used them for chili and stews, cheddar soup, and even desserts!
:)
Cheers!

highfigh

highfigh

I would add, since I’m in a sharing mood it seems, if you sip $300 bottles of fine spirits... YOU DO NOT COOK WITH THAT!!! :)
For bourbon, I cook with Black Beam for example. When dealing with spirits, I always look for what is perhaps best considered High-Well at about $25 per bottle. For wine, I never spend less than $15 per bottle for cooking, assuming it’s American. If I choose a European wine other than a simple Italian white, I spend more, $30-40. (I rarely do that as it just doesn’t make sense, frankly... I don’t need to reduce by half a full bottle of Châteauneuf-du-Pape to add to my Beef Essence. :eek: A local Syrah for half the cost works and tastes better!)
One last note, as I do love my beer... I will always recommend avoiding cooking using s highly hop-forward beer. My favorite beers to cook with are the Old Stock Ale from North Coast in Fort Bragg, and Dogfish Head’s Palo Santo Maron. Malt forward and flavorful, I’ve used them for chili and stews, cheddar soup, and even desserts!
:)
Cheers!
I wasn't referring to $300/bottle wine- there's a lot of very drinkable wines, beers and spirits that cost far less without being in the category of 'rot gut' which could be used for cooking.

Having said that, let's see some recipes that call for Blue Nun, Boone's Farm and MD 2020.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis