Why are SACD's out of print?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Mutlichannel SACD should be the standard for 5.1 recordings/masters. I would happily buy multichannel versions of all of my favorite albums...if they existed.

Of course the supply and demand curves need to show this as a successful strategy for the labels, but I believe if there was more content, there would be more buyers.
I think the DVD Audio format would be more practical and cheaper to produce than the SACD.

I may be wrong but I believe that for the release of a SACD disc, SONY has the complete control over its production as you have to rent the equipment from them. As for the DVD-A format, it would seem easier to own the appropriate recording hardware and the label company wouldn't have to pay those rental fees.

IMO, the DVD-A format performs as well as the SACD for multi-channel recordings and it even allows a wider dynamic range.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW the Machine Head SACD is indeed multi-ch. Sounds so much better than the vinyl....altho one of my favorites, it's still vinyl.

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
I think the DVD Audio format would be more practical and cheaper to produce than the SACD file.

I may be wrong but I believe that for the release of a SACD disc, SONY has the complete control over its production, and you have to rent the equipment from them. As for the DVD-A format, it would seem easier to own the appropriate recording hardware and the label company wouldn't have to pay those rental fees.

IMO, the DVD-A format performs as well as the SACD for multi-channel recordings and it even allows a wider dynamic range.

You are correct. DVD-A/Bluray would be more practical format for multichannel. If only the industry could realize that standardization helps everyone!

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
FWIW the Machine Head SACD is indeed multi-ch. Sounds so much better than the vinyl....altho one of my favorites, it's still vinyl.
Ordering now))) I am frustrated by Tidal. Things i know exist in multichannel are not there for some reason.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, multi-ch is possible via flac but wonder about bandwidth needs....doubt Tidal is set up for any multi-ch at this time, tho.

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
Tidal via Heos is far from ready for multi-channel. They can't even deal with displaying MQA on the mobile app, let alone play them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Tidal via Heos is far from ready for multi-channel. They can't even deal with displaying MQA on the mobile app, let alone play them.
I'm not up on Heos at all....is it possible to use Heos as multi-ch at all? Was thinking that was more a 2ch thing....

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Well, multi-ch is possible via flac but wonder about bandwidth needs....doubt Tidal is set up for any multi-ch at this time, tho.
Tidal supports flac. I definitely saw some multichannel tracks. You can google it.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Back about a year ago, I looked into a means to enjoy 5.1 from what might be out there in addition to SACD. The only thing I came up with was Acoustic Sounds has some 5.1 music downloads in FLAC and DSD. I bought a few. I could not get them to play in 5.1 from my laptop through any program via usb to my OPPO. I was able to enjoy in stereo but not gaplessly. I ended up copying the downloads to a thumb drive, which, when inserted into the OPPO's front usb port, did permit gapless multi-channel playback. One of the downloads, a version of The Firebird played by the Seattle Symphony sounded really nice but I found overall these downloads are too much of a hassle. Plus, I don't think I can trade em or sell them like I can SACDs. At any rate, I have not had any more interest in exploration of multi-channel streams or downloads. I'm just hoping one day I might be able to get multi-channel from iTunes which now gets me stereo without hassle.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Back about a year ago, I looked into a means to enjoy 5.1 from what might be out there in addition to SACD. The only thing I came up with was Acoustic Sounds has some 5.1 music downloads in FLAC and DSD. I bought a few. I could not get them to play in 5.1 from my laptop through any program via usb to my OPPO. I was able to enjoy in stereo but not gaplessly. I ended up copying the downloads to a thumb drive, which, when inserted into the OPPO's front usb port, did permit gapless multi-channel playback. One of the downloads, a version of The Firebird played by the Seattle Symphony sounded really nice but I found overall these downloads are too much of a hassle. Plus, I don't think I can trade em or sell them like I can SACDs. At any rate, I have not had any more interest in exploration of multi-channel streams or downloads. I'm just hoping one day I might be able to get multi-channel from iTunes which now gets me stereo without hassle.
You might try nativedsd.com too. I generally use the 5.1 files I rip via usb thumb drive (or hard drive), but that's the only type of usb connection I use for audio. I doubt any of the major services will roll out a multi-ch service, just don't think the audience is large enough....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Tidal supports flac. I definitely saw some multichannel tracks. You can google it.
I did search for multich and tidal before I commented, I found zip. Could be beta program of some sort?

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
I'm not up on Heos at all....is it possible to use Heos as multi-ch at all? Was thinking that was more a 2ch thing....
It is my understanding that Heos will only support 2.1 (I'm unsure if the LFE channel is really supported out just extracted at my AVR) channel playback because it is tied to the mobile app.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It is my understanding that Heos will only support 2.1 (I'm unsure if the LFE channel is really supported out just extracted at my AVR) channel playback because it is tied to the mobile app.
So subs are a regular feature for outside the main zone with Heos? I might have to read up some on it....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You might try nativedsd.com too. I generally use the 5.1 files I rip via usb thumb drive (or hard drive),but that's the only type of usb connection I use for audio. I doubt any of the major services will roll out a multi-ch service, just don't think the audience is large enough....
The audience not being big enough is the reason SACD and DVD-A aren't a thing. I like both formats, but not really a market for it. Doesn't matter if it was a good product or not if the companies don't make money on it.

Why is 8-Track out of production? lol. When vinyl is still here.

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
So subs are a regular feature for outside the main zone with Heos? I might have to read up some on it....
That's a great question...that I don't have an answer for. I am very new to Heos and Tidal, so am climbing the learning curve now.

For the record, I am listening to Tidal playback via the Heos app now, and definitely have sub output in stereo mode.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's a great question...that I don't have an answer for. I am very new to Heos and Tidal, so am climbing the learning curve now.

For the record, I am listening to Tidal playback via the Heos app now, and definitely have sub output in stereo mode.
I think of Heos more as wireless audio to other parts of the house aside from the main zone....not particularly as a remote control (assuming Tidal app is actually on the avr?)

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
I think of Heos more as wireless audio to other parts of the house aside from the main zone....not particularly as a remote control (assuming Tidal app is actually on the avr?)
Unfortunately I find that it is little more than a remote control for me as the only Heos device I have is my sr7013.

The app on the AVR is pretty dumb. It doesn't sync with my tidal favorites at all, and leaves me to drive everything from the mobile app.

A nice side effect is that now I have tidal on all my Sonos stuff (kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom) around the house.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
You are correct. DVD-A/Bluray would be more practical format for multichannel. If only the industry could realize that standardization helps everyone!
Agreed - see Betamax vs VHS...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis