Bookshelf speakers for my HT

• Thread starter loganschleich17
  • Start date
L

loganschleich17

Audioholic Intern
Hey,
I need a lot of help picking out some great bookshelf speakers as well as a center for my new 3.0. I am willing to buy used for the right set up. I have a denon 3400 and 2 hsu vtf3 mk5 subs. I used to have Boston Acoustics VR3 mains and a VR920 cc. Now that I have the hsu subs I would really like to buy some high end book shelves that excel for movies where my subs cut off because I am 90% movies and 10% music. I would like to keep my budget at 1500$ for the front 3 but if there is 3.0 set up that is a large step up I’d be willing to spend up to 2000. I’ll add photos of my living room. My room is 17Lx 10Wx9H with openings to the kitchen and hallway to a bedroom.
I’ve been looking at the Polk lsim 703s and matching cc because they have a great deal at audiorama, I’ve heard good things about the chane 2.4 and a few others and they are much below the budget which is nice. As I said tho, I am willing to spend more if it’s worth it because I’d like this purchase to satisfy me for years. but tbh I really need help making an educated choice because there are just so many options.
Thank you , Logan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
The Klipsch RP or RF line are great and work at very high levels with little power and go pretty low

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How about the Hsu CCB-8, SVS Ultra, Ascend Sierra-1s to add a few....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
How about the Hsu CCB-8, SVS Ultra, Ascend Sierra-1s to add a few....
I was going to recommend Sierra 2 over the one... but either have a great reputation! As I understand it, Dave is cooking up some new goodies at Ascend!!! Keep your eyes open. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was going to recommend Sierra 2 over the one... but either have a great reputation! As I understand it, Dave is cooking up some new goodies at Ascend!!! Keep your eyes open. :)
S-2 would be over budget primarily was my thinking, but if it could be stretched....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
True, but the quality of that upgrade would be worth a little extra planning and saving, assuming the sound is right for our OP.
Sierra 2s or maybe even Sierra Lunas plus the Sierra Horizon Center? Especially with a Raal upgrade on the center... yes, more expensive still, I know... but that is a pie-in-the-sky type upgrade which could still be obtainable.
If ever OP wanted to pursue a long term plan for a complete high end system, he's only the Sierra Towers away from a matching 5-channel system.

Please don't misunderstand my intention with that recommendation, Logan. It's not about blowing your budget or putting you in debt!
Rather, if you follow any of the conversations where persistent incremental upgrades are purchased and sold off, you can see the value of a little planning. It's possible you might not be into that sound... Ascend is very similar to the BMRs, for example. They are Flat and Accurate speakers. Personally, I found that to be quite enjoyable for Music and HT.
From an exposure standpoint, if you are at all interested, perhaps reach out to Ascend and see if they have any owners near you who might be willing to let you audition their speakers.

That said, Shady has nothing but great things to say about those CCB-8s from Hsu. Likewise, I've heard a lot of good things about the Ultras. With SVS especially, you also have a path to a completely matched system if you choose to pursue that, and the opportunity to try them risk-free in your home. :)

Cheers!

J

Jknezovich

Audiophyte
I have a similar space, and SVS Ultra bookshelves, along with an SVS Ultra center, and dual ported subs, have worked very well for both movies and music. However, from your pictures, your room looks too reflective. You're probably going to need some room treatment to get good sound -- carpeting, panels, etc.

L

loganschleich17

Audioholic Intern
True, but the quality of that upgrade would be worth a little extra planning and saving, assuming the sound is right for our OP.
Sierra 2s or maybe even Sierra Lunas plus the Sierra Horizon Center? Especially with a Raal upgrade on the center... yes, more expensive still, I know... but that is a pie-in-the-sky type upgrade which could still be obtainable.
If ever OP wanted to pursue a long term plan for a complete high end system, he's only the Sierra Towers away from a matching 5-channel system.

Please don't misunderstand my intention with that recommendation, Logan. It's not about blowing your budget or putting you in debt!
Rather, if you follow any of the conversations where persistent incremental upgrades are purchased and sold off, you can see the value of a little planning. It's possible you might not be into that sound... Ascend is very similar to the BMRs, for example. They are Flat and Accurate speakers. Personally, I found that to be quite enjoyable for Music and HT.
From an exposure standpoint, if you are at all interested, perhaps reach out to Ascend and see if they have any owners near you who might be willing to let you audition their speakers.

That said, Shady has nothing but great things to say about those CCB-8s from Hsu. Likewise, I've heard a lot of good things about the Ultras. With SVS especially, you also have a path to a completely matched system if you choose to pursue that, and the opportunity to try them risk-free in your home. :)

Cheers!
Thank you everyone for your replies. I am going to reach out to ascend and ask where a vendor is near me. There should be one I’m 15 minutes from Minneapolis. I can audition the svs ultras at Best Buy also. Ryan you always give me great feedback so an extra thanks to you.
I was also looking at the Polk lsim 703s because I can get the 3.0 for 800$ used off audiorama. How would that compare to the ascends? I was also thinking of KEFS because I like they’re sound and I don’t mind used so any suggestions on kick ass models for movies for kef would be great as well.
Logan

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you everyone for your replies. I am going to reach out to ascend and ask where a vendor is near me. There should be one I’m 15 minutes from Minneapolis. I can audition the svs ultras at Best Buy also. Ryan you always give me great feedback so an extra thanks to you.
I was also looking at the Polk lsim 703s because I can get the 3.0 for 800$ used off audiorama. How would that compare to the ascends? I was also thinking of KEFS because I like they’re sound and I don’t mind used so any suggestions on kick ass models for movies for kef would be great as well.
Logan

Sorry, Ascend is internet direct only unless they know of an owner willing to demo (Ascend is in southern California). You might check out the KEF sale at Accessories4less.com, too. SVS also has an in-home trial deal with round trip freight paid if you don't keep them.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This is where you have to decide where your value is.
Between the Polk and Ascends, that isn't even a choice for me. I would take the Ascends. As I said before, I like that flat, accurate, neutral sound.
The Polk LSiMs are supposed to be respectable for where they are placed. KEF Q series, too. With both of those seeing some recent sales, it begs the question if there is a refresh to those lines coming? If so, this might be a good time to look at those.
Regardless, to me, neither would be end-game systems. SO, what exactly is your value? If you are talking about something that can take you through the next 5-7 years, and you like the sound of them, sure. There are a lot of happy owners out there. Hell, some KEF fans are bordering on the fanatic.
I have heard some praise for Chane... but also other comments that they routinely have supply issues and can be difficult to contact. *shrugs They weren't right for me on initial research so I didn't pursue learning much more about them. Again, those that have them seem to like them, though.
For the other speakers mentioned, the one I am ridiculously interested in learning more about is the CCB-8 from Hsu. I mentioned before that Shady has had good things to say about these. These could work quite well I think in a room like yours since its not super large. They could easily be moved to a bedroom system too, or employed later as surrounds or Atmos speakers in an upgraded HT rig.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/ccb-8.html
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/ccbspkrpkg.html

Going back to the Ascend thing... Like Hsu, there are ID, so no local dealers. As I said, Dave and Co might have a local customer that would host you for an audition, though. As a point of comparison, the Sierra Towers compare very well to the Philharmonic BMRs that Shady reviewed previously. If his descriptions in that review interest you, it might be worth your time to see if you can hear any of the Sierra line locally. :) Yes, they are a little more expensive, but if you are interested in something worthy of the tag line of an end-game speaker system, these and Salk Sound are the ones that come to mind for me. (But then that gets back to the sound you want to hear for the next 10 years of your life! ;) )

Lastly, do not lose sight of SVS. Shady's review of the SVS Pinnacle Prime is really promising... that looks like a statement speaker with SVS saying they aren't planning to rest on their laurels. Much like the strategy I laid out before of upgrading from this 3.0 system you are shopping for right now using the Ascend speakers... I think you could do the same with SVS Ultra Bookshelves and Center now, and add the Pinnacles in a year or two... Both would be respectable systems that you could enjoy for many years to come!

Anyway, I hope this helps you out a little.

End of the day... define your values and goals. Research and learn what you can. Shop smart and with luck you'll find exactly what you need to make you happy for a long game system!

:cool:

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis