What Classical are you listening to?

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Apart from the Amazon stores, there's a good store in England (Prestomusic.com) where I often order from because of their good prices and excellent service. You can depend on them.
Good service? Well yes and no. I spent several thousand dollars with them last year and not a penny this year because they take FOREVER to ship.

They had been good at getting things out but last year, for some reason, they went to hell.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I'll have to see if I can find that recording. The disc I listed above is nice because of the multi-channel, but I'm always down for the best recording available. Tks
IMO, the best digital recording of Daphnis et Chloé is the one recorded with les Choeurs et l'Orchestre Symphonique de Montréal under direction of Charles Dutoit. If you can get hold of one, you won't be sorry.
Daphnis.jpg

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
IMO, the best digital recording of Daphnis et Chloé is the one recorded with les Choeurs et l'Orchestre Symphonique de Montréal under direction of Charles Dutoit. If you can get hold of one, you won't be sorry.
That’s the fun thing about orchestral works... so much room for interpretation and stylistic differences. :) I knew cats that had sometimes more than 5 or 7 different copies of a symphony based on conductor, orchestra, soloist, sound quality, and historic importance. ;)
Nowhere did I claim the Munch D et C to be the best! It is good, though. Especially considering it’s place in history and his, as well as the Boston Symphony’s relationship with Ravel.

Perfect reason to have at least two copies!
:D

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
The copies of the Munch collections are spendy and rare, even on Amazon.

I'll keep my eyes opened, and start talking with some local music stores as well.

F

flippo

Full Audioholic
1561400405664.png

Symphony no. 3 Another box set i downloaded from amazon for only 99 cents.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Gerard Schwarz leading the Seattle Symphony in a performance of Paul Creston's "Symphony No. 3":

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Gerard Schwarz leading the Seattle Symphony in a performance of Paul Creston's "Symphony No. 5":

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
That’s the fun thing about orchestral works... so much room for interpretation and stylistic differences. :) I knew cats that had sometimes more than 5 or 7 different copies of a symphony based on conductor, orchestra, soloist, sound quality, and historic importance. ;)
Nowhere did I claim the Munch D et C to be the best! It is good, though. Especially considering it’s place in history and his, as well as the Boston Symphony’s relationship with Ravel.

Perfect reason to have at least two copies!
:D
Another French conductor whom was a master in French music was Paul Paray. In the 1950's, he actually built the Detroit Symphony Orchestra to a high standing. They recorded several French works For Mercury on the Living Presence series of LPs. These recordings were later transferred to CD and some to 3 channel stereo SACD.

I have all those recordings either on CD or SACD. Most of them are still available through Amazon. I recommend them without hesitation.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Charles Bruffy leading the Kansas City Chorale in choral works by Rene Clausen:

2013 GRAMMY Award winner: Best Choral Performance & Best Engineered Album (Classical)

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Gerard Schwarz leading the Seattle Symphony in a performance of Walter Piston's "Symphony No. 2":

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis