What Classical are you listening to?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Mahler Abbado.jpg

Mahler's Symphonies 1-7 on Blu-ray with Claudio Abbado conducting at the Lucerne Summer Festival. A gem of a recording over several years with amazing dynamic sound and excellent video. A good remembrance of one of the best conductors.

Last edited:
Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
What's a really good dynamic version of the 1812 Overture? Preferably the choral version. I'm in the mood to listen to that later tonight, when I can give the towers a workout.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
What's a really good dynamic version of the 1812 Overture? Preferably the choral version. I'm in the mood to listen to that later tonight, when I can give the towers a workout.
There are two recordings that contain real canon firings, one is on the Telarc label with the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra under the direction of Erich Kunzel. The other one is available on the Decca label, an old recording made in 1959 originally by Mercury featuring the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra and the University of Minnesota Brass Band under Antal Dorati.
The Telarc disc has the choral version featuring the Kiev Symphony Chorus and the Children's Choir of Greater Cincinnati.
However, don't doubt about the quality of the 1959 recording. You would be amazed by the quality of the sound, the best recording engineers of the time made sure that the recording was a faithful reproduction of the music and the impact of the canons. Personally, I prefer this older recording which used a bronze canon fron Douay France (1775) and bells of the Laura Spelman Rockefeller Memorial Carillon at the Riverside Church.
One final note: Be easy on your system because of the wild dynamics on either disc. Depending on your equipment, you could damage your speakers if you play at high SPLs.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Be very careful with the volume of the Telrarc version. Easy to destroy your tweeters. Like Verdinut said it is a recording of live cannons. Good luck.
Don't underestimate the dynamics on the Decca CD. It has in my opinion almost as much dynamic range as the Telarc recording. It was recorded without any compression. I have both discs.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Be very careful with the volume of the Telrarc version. Easy to destroy your tweeters. Like Verdinut said it is a recording of live cannons. Good luck.
I listened to the Telarc/Kunzel over the weekend. It was incredible with the real cannon. :D

(and I didn't blow my speakers)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Der-Freischütz---(4K-Ultra-HD-Blu-ray).png

It's a good performance of one of Weber's romantic operas recorded at the Staatskapelle Dresden Opera House. This took place and coincided with the thirtieth anniversary of the house's reopening and the seventieth anniversary of its destruction in 1945.

I don't only listen to it, but I view it in HD at present and it shall be in UHD when I get the 4K display or TV depending on the price then.

F

flippo

Full Audioholic
1561051524506.png

Found a bunch of these box sets for download on Amazon for 99 cents. Very good for price!!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
A little bit off topic but "TuneIn" app has a really nice classical station available called, well "Classic FM" out of London, England. Keep that in mind when they announce the time and weather.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ravel, Daphnis et Chloe, Minnesota Orchestra, Skrowaczewski. Multi channel SACD
If you haven't heard the whole of it, Daphnis et Chloe Is quite stunning. I have a classic version originally recorded in '55, remastered and released in '91. Charles Munch (Boston Symphony Orchestra) knew and worked with Ravel. RCA Victor Gold Seal / BMG 60469-2RG

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
If you haven't heard the whole of it, Daphnis et Chloe Is quite stunning. I have a classic version originally recorded in '55, remastered and released in '91. Charles Munch (Boston Symphony Orchestra) knew and worked with Ravel. RCA Victor Gold Seal / BMG 60469-2RG
I'll have to see if I can find that recording. The disc I listed above is nice because of the multi-channel, but I'm always down for the best recording available. Tks

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Mahler 9.jpg
An amazing performance !
Once you start viewing performances in excellent surround sound on a screen of at least 50 inches, you then become hesitant in purchasing more CDs or other strictly audio source material.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis