What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, spend the $ for a good helmet.

@lovinthehd I think you would agree, but this is my philosophy on a bike (and other hobbies too):

Good gear just gets out of the way and lets you enjoy the ride. Whatever it is that you are constantly thinking about, that's the item you need to upgrade next! Remember I had never been really happy with my brakes on my Cannondale Cujo? Those recently got completely upgraded to 203/180 rotors and SLX brakes. Guess what, I never even think about my brakes any more!

Same in audio--good gear just does it's job and doesn't call attention to itself. But, when you need it to perform, it performs.
Good gear is essential IMO. I recently had to have my RockShox Guide RSC brakes attended to (and discovered the problem just before a ride with a really long descent that woulda sucked without properly functioning brakes)....kinda wish they were XT or SLX Shimanos instead. Yep, don't even notice my helmet unless I don't have it on, feel kinda naked without and that's the relative safety of dirt/mountain biking compared to being on sidewalks and streets...let alone on a teeny wheeled scooter.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Not wearing a helmet is fine, to die is easy. It’s the ones who don’t die and have to be bedridden or in a wheelchair or lose 1/2 their face on the pavement who suffer.

If you just want to feel the wind STICK YOUR HEAD OUT a car window.

I owned a tow truck business for 40 years and have seen it happen over and over.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Good gear is essential IMO. I recently had to have my RockShox Guide RSC brakes attended to (and discovered the problem just before a ride with a really long descent that woulda sucked without properly functioning brakes)....kinda wish they were XT or SLX Shimanos instead. Yep, don't even notice my helmet unless I don't have it on, feel kinda naked without and that's the relative safety of dirt/mountain biking compared to being on sidewalks and streets...let alone on a teeny wheeled scooter.
I'm pretty biased to Shimano. Granted, I haven't used much SRAM gear, but Shimano just has never let me down. Even the mid-range offerings for Shimano are good. Then once you hit SLX/XT and sometimes up to XTR, the performance differences tend to be marginal, while the price difference is not.

I'm assuming the Guide came stock on the bike? Shimano just released a line update. Jenson has the previous Front/Rear SLX for $80 each right now ($160 for the set),while the XT is $98 each. I just couldn't pass up that price on the SLX! I also picked up a 2-piece 203mm rotor for $30, just couldn't pass the price.

Now, most people would tend to think that 203/180 rotors would be overkill for my area and for this bike. But, 27.5" x 3" tires with a 240lb rider, feels dang good to me.

Yeah, I'm with you, street riding scares the crap out of me! With the terrible Austin traffic and drivers, and half of them stoned, I'll take the trails any day.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm pretty biased to Shimano. Granted, I haven't used much SRAM gear, but Shimano just has never let me down. Even the mid-range offerings for Shimano are good. Then once you hit SLX/XT and sometimes up to XTR, the performance differences tend to be marginal, while the price difference is not.

I'm assuming the Guide came stock on the bike? Shimano just released a line update. Jenson has the previous Front/Rear SLX for $80 each right now ($160 for the set),while the XT is $98 each. I just couldn't pass up that price on the SLX! I also picked up a 2-piece 203mm rotor for $30, just couldn't pass the price.

Now, most people would tend to think that 203/180 rotors would be overkill for my area and for this bike. But, 27.5" x 3" tires with a 240lb rider, feels dang good to me.

Yeah, I'm with you, street riding scares the crap out of me! With the terrible Austin traffic and drivers, and half of them stoned, I'll take the trails any day.
Mostly I've been with Shimano drivetrains of various levels on both road and mountain bikes, but a longtime Avid BB7 brake user on the mountain bikes. The two hydraulics I've tried have had issues, both SRAM (Elixirs on my Nomad). SRAM drivetrain/brakes/shox did come stock on this bike (Hightower)...the Guide RSC brakes worked fine for first coupla years, tho next issue its a switch to Shimano. I haven't had any issues with the fork/shock, tho even tho mostly a Fox user (altho did switch out the SRAM Reverb dropper for the Fox Transfer due some issues with the SRAM with play). I'm using 180 front/rear also stock, and almost as big a tire as you (27.5x2.8) and altho usually a bit lighter than you but after this last winter and the inactivity this spring due various aches and pains maybe not :).

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Mostly I've been with Shimano drivetrains of various levels on both road and mountain bikes, but a longtime Avid BB7 brake user on the mountain bikes. The two hydraulics I've tried have had issues, both SRAM (Elixirs on my Nomad). SRAM drivetrain/brakes/shox did come stock on this bike (Hightower)...the Guide RSC brakes worked fine for first coupla years, tho next issue its a switch to Shimano. I haven't had any issues with the fork/shock, tho even tho mostly a Fox user (altho did switch out the SRAM Reverb dropper for the Fox Transfer due some issues with the SRAM with play). I'm using 180 front/rear also stock, and almost as big a tire as you (27.5x2.8) and altho usually a bit lighter than you but after this last winter and the inactivity this spring due various aches and pains maybe not :).
Yeah, I've heard various complaints on the SRAM brakes. I know there is a particular model that has a design flaw, something about the master cylinder piston design or material choice. I don't recall the details, but I know that there is an after-market fix for the flaw. The reason that I know is that a friend picked up a set for cheap that were malfunctioning due to the flaw and he installed the aftermarket fix. So, he got a good set of brakes on the cheap and just needed a little bit of his own labor to have them in better than new condition.

The bigger choice for me mostly just comes down to SRAM DOT fluid vs. Shimano mineral oil. I know it sounds petty, but I prefer the non-corrosive mineral oil (+ my shimano bias).

The complaint we hear about shimano is "no modulation". I really don't get it, they feel great to me. But I also don't have huge descents to even worry about it, or my brakes overheating or anything like that.

With that being said, I think a lot of bikers would be surprised at the trails and the variety that Tx does have to offer!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I've heard various complaints on the SRAM brakes. I know there is a particular model that has a design flaw, something about the master cylinder piston design or material choice. I don't recall the details, but I know that there is an after-market fix for the flaw. The reason that I know is that a friend picked up a set for cheap that were malfunctioning due to the flaw and he installed the aftermarket fix. So, he got a good set of brakes on the cheap and just needed a little bit of his own labor to have them in better than new condition.

The bigger choice for me mostly just comes down to SRAM DOT fluid vs. Shimano mineral oil. I know it sounds petty, but I prefer the non-corrosive mineral oil (+ my shimano bias).

The complaint we hear about shimano is "no modulation". I really don't get it, they feel great to me. But I also don't have huge descents to even worry about it, or my brakes overheating or anything like that.

With that being said, I think a lot of bikers would be surprised at the trails and the variety that Tx does have to offer!
Yes the Guide series issues is what I had, too. New lever body took care of it, wasn't very expensive ($20 incl labor but my shop treats me well). Supposedly the heat does have more effect on the DOT than the mineral oil from but haven't really dug into it, probably pros/cons both ways. Don't believe mineral oil is all that non-corrosive depending on the materials involved. Past Shimanos did have that rep of no modulation, but that was several years back, the current models do well. You can use organic/metallic pads to somewhat play with modulation, too. Never been to Texas on a bike trip and my last visits to Houston and Dallas were too damn hot to even think about it :) I would like to go hang out in Austin sometime for food/music as well as some biking....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yes the Guide series issues is what I had, too. New lever body took care of it, wasn't very expensive ($20 incl labor but my shop treats me well). Supposedly the heat does have more effect on the DOT than the mineral oil from but haven't really dug into it, probably pros/cons both ways. Don't believe mineral oil is all that non-corrosive depending on the materials involved. Past Shimanos did have that rep of no modulation, but that was several years back, the current models do well. You can use organic/metallic pads to somewhat play with modulation, too. Never been to Texas on a bike trip and my last visits to Houston and Dallas were too damn hot to even think about it :) I would like to go hang out in Austin sometime for food/music as well as some biking....
An hour or so outside of Austin, Tx has its first lift access park. I haven't been out there (yet).

https://www.spidermountain.com/

Yeah, I think that sounds like the same problem on those SRAM.

I think the DOT is BAD if it gets on your paint, but mineral oil isn't.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
An hour or so outside of Austin, Tx has its first lift access park. I haven't been out there (yet).

https://www.spidermountain.com/

Yeah, I think that sounds like the same problem on those SRAM.

I think the DOT is BAD if it gets on your paint, but mineral oil isn't.
Dang that's pretty pricey for a little hill like that. Only 350 vertical feet, good grief that's not worth paying anyone for a ride up. You call hills like that in Texas "mountains"? :) I'm spoiled :)

Audiosaur

Audiosaur

Audioholic
4x JBL SP6CII ceiling speakers for proper Atmos in the family room.

And a new house to put them in.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
YMMV of course and experiencing injury/death is definitely your prerogative....
It is only one of my many prerogatives. Don't simplify me like that.:D:D
When I windsurf, I'm in my swiming trunks. Bare foot and naked to the waist.
When I figureskate, I'm in my tracksuit.
When I sail, I'm in my swiming trunks.
When I rollerblade/rollerskate, I'm in my shorts.
When I dive, I'm in my swiming trunks again.

Protective gear exists for liability and insurance companies, not for your health. Whatever size the helmet is, you'll brake your neck and end up like a quadri, but you won't be able to sue anyone, since they did what was asked of them and gave you the helmet.

One sunny day you should try to mount your bike barefoot, in your shorts and naked to the waist. As God intended.;) I don't understand what you're hoping to see in this life that you haven't already?

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Dang that's pretty pricey for a little hill like that. Only 350 vertical feet, good grief that's not worth paying anyone for a ride up. You call hills like that in Texas "mountains"? :) I'm spoiled :)
Like I say, central Tx doesn't have huge descents/climbs. But, there are still a wealth of good trails (obviously more of the crosscountry variety).

South Austin has a 60+ mile continuous trail system! It is awesome, there are a few miles of the 60 that you will have to hit some pavement through some neighborhoods to get the next trailhead, but it is a very small percentage of the mileage. One thing I do love about the area is the variety on a single trail, from rock gardens to forest and creek beds, to prairie, all on the same few miles of trail. I rode various areas of this system for years before I finally realized how they all connected together.

Yeah......one thing about central TX......you better like rock gardens! Or at least know your way around a rock garden and you may have a few pedal of BB strikes along the way. I don't necessarily like them, but they are an awesome challenge.

Now, west TX into the Big Bend area, we do have some real mountains. But, the area is pretty desolate and a loooong drive to get there. So, you have to be on a dedicated biking or hiking trip to even get out to see it.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
One sunny day you should try to mount your bike barefoot, in your shorts and naked to the waste. As God intended.;) I don't understand what you're hoping to see in this life that you haven't already?

How about tomorrow?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One sunny day you should try to mount your bike barefoot, in your shorts and naked to the waste. As God intended.;) I don't understand what you're hoping to see in this life that you haven't already?
That would be waist fwiw :) Without shoes the pedals I use would hurt quite a bit and it wouldn't be a good ride. Either the clipless style I usually use or sometimes the flats:
ritchey clipless.jpg

flats.jpg

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
New (long overdue) dust cover for my Pro-Ject RPM-1 turntable, being checked by Casper the Turkish Van cat. Oddly (and gratefully), the 2 of 3 cats that climb up have never bothered with the TT even when it was covered just with a large microfiber towel.

The cover is supposed to be turned 90º to that, and does have more clearance that way, but this way it still fits and is just a 1/2" (12,7mm) less than the width of the Salamander Archetype 3.0 stand. Almost there with the office. Some acoustic panels, an area rug, new wall paint color, and it'll be done.
Casper_lurking.jpg

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I guess that guy didn't die, after all. He's back and brought his friend to try and steal my Ark of the Covenant!

Ark Dudes Back S.jpg

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I got a screen accurate necklace/chain in today for my Staff of Ra "Raven Bar" medallion (same one Marion wore in the bar scene early in Raiders of the Lost Ark). Can you tell I'm obsessed with this movie? :D

Raven Bar Chain S.jpg

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
That would be waist fwiw :)
I hate when that happen, I can't tell you how much. I know it's waist and I still make a mistake. I don't mind not knowing, but mistaking with the things I know...

Nevertheless, I thought it was a motorbike when you say bike. Yep, pedals would be tickling, he, he...

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
New (long overdue) dust cover for my Pro-Ject RPM-1 turntable, being checked by Casper the Turkish Van cat. Oddly (and gratefully), the 2 of 3 cats that climb up have never bothered with the TT even when it was covered just with a large microfiber towel.

The cover is supposed to be turned 90º to that, and does have more clearance that way, but this way it still fits and is just a 1/2" (12,7mm) less than the width of the Salamander Archetype 3.0 stand. Almost there with the office. Some acoustic panels, an area rug, new wall paint color, and it'll be done.View attachment 29814
Great looking workspace. Love the blue cones, they go well with other blue lights.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis