Are Blu-ray & DVD Formats Dead?

Are Blu-ray and DVD Formats Dead?

• Yes. Streaming is taking over.

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • No. People will always want Physical Media too.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • Can't we all Coexist and sing Kumbaya?

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
As a sound storage format the LP is very much inferior to a CD/SACD in it's capability, or just about any (all?) optical media for that matter. I for one does not miss "vinyl with all its hiss, snaps, warps and pops", and it has been decades since I bought an LP. The only thing I miss is the artwork and other extras that often came with a LP afforded by the physically much larger format.
You're speaking from your own personal experience and opinion. That doesn't translate to what EVERYONE else is doing.

I get 90% of my music from streaming at this point and don't intend on buying vinyl either, but that doesn't change the fact that Best Buy doesn't have CD's, but has vinyl. For some reason the younger generation likes it. Not all of them, but enough that quite a few artists are pressing their albums onto vinyl.

I'm as surprised as anyone that this is still going.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
As a sound storage format the LP is very much inferior to a CD/SACD in it's capability, or just about any (all?) optical media for that matter. I for one does not miss "vinyl with all its hiss, snaps, warps and pops", and it has been decades since I bought an LP. The only thing I miss is the artwork and other extras that often came with a LP afforded by the physically much larger format.
My albums dont hiss, snap and pop. I looked after them. I do agree with you that CD/SACD are the better medium BUT due to the loudness war (prevalent on CDs) they sounded more compressed and less dynamic than vinyl. I'm not going to hijack this thread any longer.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
My albums dont hiss, snap and pop. I looked after them. I do agree with you that CD/SACD are the better medium BUT due to the loudness war (prevalent on CDs) they sounded more compressed and less dynamic than vinyl. I'm not going to hijack this thread any longer.
I agree, a well recorded/mixed/mastered LP will sound better (for a few playings, at least :D) than a poorly done CD/SACD.

majorloser

majorloser

I started a thread like this many years ago on another forum. I felt many years ago that physical media was rapidly dying. I got banned when I said DVD's and Blurays won't be around very long with the ever increasing bandwidth available to people. The instant satisfaction of streaming has already taken over the music market. The average consumer wants quantity over quality. The consumer electronics manufacturers have already started eliminating bluray/dvd players from their product lines.

I'm still surprised movies aren't being sold loaded on USB thumb drives.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Its a rap. Optical i.e., Blu Ray, UHD, etc is dead.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04/dvd-and-blu-ray-sales-nearly-halved-over-five-years-mpaa-report-says/

"
In its annual Theatrical Home Entertainment Market Environment report, the Motion Picture Association of America described an immensely sharp drop-off of physical media sales over the past five years. According to the data, which was obtained from DEG and IHS Markit, global sales of video disc formats (which in this context means DVD, Blu-ray, and UltraHD Blu-ray) were $25.2 billion in 2014 but only $13.1 in 2018. That's a drop in the ballpark of 50 percent.

FURTHER READING
Disney+ launches on November 12 for $6.99/mo, plus new Marvel, Star Wars series

Don't expect 8K Blu-rays or other emerging quality-focused formats to turn the tide, either. Market data published by Forbes showed that the aging, low-definition DVD format still accounts for 57.9 percent of physical media sales, and 4K Blu-rays are only 5.3 percent.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Just as people are cutting their cable and satellite and going to streaming, well they are already raising their prices for streaming services. I for one will Never pay a monthly fee for streaming music services.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Just as people are cutting their cable and satellite and going to streaming, well they are already raising their prices for streaming services. I for one will Never pay a monthly fee for streaming music services.
How do you get your music these days?

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
How do you get your music these days?
CD, and netradio, which netradio is free. There are 100's of free netradio stations from all over the world and with better choices than the crap that's played over FM. Some of my favorites are from Scandinavia, Norway.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
CD, and netradio, which netradio is free. There are 100's of free netradio stations from all over the world and with better choices than the crap that's played over FM. Some of my favorites are from Scandinavia, Norway.
Net radio is has terrible audio quality.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Net radio is has terrible audio quality.
Not for me, clean clear, smooth..best thing about netradio, uncensored on most that I listen to. Here in the USA, we have Bible toters who persuade their influence over others on where they believe is right for everyone. It's for those reasons I pretty much crossed FM off my list.

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Living in a part of the country where the only OTA FM I have is country*, I find the "Tunein" in invaluable if I want more then that. I can get jazz, rock, and classical from all over the country.

And, as far as DVD/Bu-ray formats being dead. as long as kids will will want to watch Disney movies like "Frozen" and such over and over, think physical media will continue on for the foreseeable future.

* Country is fine, but this man cannot live by country alone.

Last edited:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I don't remember reading anyone touting their Samsung BD player as being something special or any great value, So I'm guessing they are simply pulling out of a business that was less profitable than their other endeavors.

Oppo is a much greater mystery. Physical media may be dying, but it is not dead and they did have a stellar reputation!

Do most people have connections that can support the bandwidth of a typical BD?
I honestly don't know, but pretty sure I can't get that quality/quantity of signal streaming through my internet provider!
I'm really glad I bought the Oppo 205 when I did...I've even been offered my $100 over my purchase price for it once.

Movies are not a big deal to me, so I'm okay with streaming them, but the handful of Blu ray discs that I have are simply better (audio) than the streaming version of the same movie.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm with you on movie audio generally not being so critical as music!
However, when I was asking how good the bandwidth is for BD's I was mainly thinking of movie Video Quality. I don't know why, but I was thinking it would be more telling than the audio.

That is actually an interesting question:
"For BD with modern state of the art video and audio, how much storage is video and how much is audio?

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
I prefer to boy the "disk"...will have it forever, can rip it to a hdd for "private" use...better audio/video quality than online streaming...can lose your entire collection if your online membership is lost due to out of business, etc. and it all disappears...

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
I agree Kai. However only for the titles that you want to own. Titles that your not interested in renting or owning is a point in favour for streaming. If the Title has amazing audio and sound effects buy it. If on the other hand the title doesn’t emphasize those two points say a chick flick your wife or girlfriend wants you to watch with her then streaming is the way to go especially if your only planning to watch it once!
Not all streaming services keep every title available indefinitely. Perhaps that had to do with their server size and how many views each title receives. Anyway I like to watch the titles I’m interested in on a streaming service like Netflix to make a purchasing decision. So far I have found that quite effective when purchasing an actual DVD/Bluray.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I suppose when the current supply of DVD / Blu-ray titles are exhausted then it will be 'dead'. However many titles are 'manufactured on demand' so death may come slowly. It's "Star Wars Weekend" at Amazon, I just bought the blu-ray edition of the movies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis