Are Blu-ray & DVD Formats Dead?

Are Blu-ray and DVD Formats Dead?

• Yes. Streaming is taking over.

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • No. People will always want Physical Media too.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • Can't we all Coexist and sing Kumbaya?

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't know, but it would definitely be good to have that quality of product manufactured again, wouldn't it?
Certainly. That is what I am hoping for that it is temporary.

Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Given that the Samsung UDB-K8500 was the worst optical disk player I have ever owned (I went through 3 of them and none could play a disc from beginning-to-end without skipping), I guess it's no great loss. There are other (better options), such as the Panasonic DMP-UB900 I've enjoyed for a couple of years now (and it's replacement is even better). The truth is Samsung quality has been declining across the board for awhile now (I wouldn't buy one of their TVs anymore either).

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
With the recent departure from Blu-ray player manufacturers OPPO and Samsung, does this spell the end of the physical disc format?

Samsung, one of the world’s most prominent electronics manufacturers, and leader in the development of Blu-ray, has announced it will no longer produce and distribute Blu-ray players in the US. That announcement also included Samsung’s acknowledgement that it has completely abandoned plans to roll out a new, high-end 4K ultra high definition (UHD) Blu-ray player originally scheduled for release this year.

This makes us wonder if Apple nudged Samsung in the direction of abandoning Blu-ray. It was announced at CES 2019 that new Samsung smart TVs will come with iTunes built-in. Perhaps the sacrifice of the US Blu-ray player market was Samsung’s price of admission into the Apple ecosystem?

View attachment 28573

Read: Samsung Drops Blu-ray, Drives Nail into Disc-Media Coffin
Its absolutely dead!! You can't get a decent UHD Blu Ray Player without paying a hefty price. They're killing it off themselves.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Dead is pretty final. Look at the resurgence of LPs which were pronounced dead 30 years ago. I still want to own some physical media ( blue ray, dvd, cd, and lp for me). I think it will take a few years yet to get to the death of blue ray. But once there are no more players being made the media will ultimately fade away. See Sony's Betamax, 8 track, and VHS players (I owned them all). Cassettes probably are soon to follow if already not there. Eventually destined for a place in a museum. But thankfully not today.:)
LP is dead. LP, notwithstanding a few romanticist trying revive a bygone era in the manner of those that would preserve black and white movies, for intent and purposes is dead and will never be mainstream again. Optical disc is headed to the dust bin of obsolete technologies.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
LP is dead. LP, notwithstanding a few romanticist trying revive a bygone era in the manner of those that would preserve black and white movies, for intent and purposes is dead and will never be mainstream again. Optical disc is headed to the dust bin of obsolete technologies.
Agreed but it might take awhile. LPs were pronounced dead 30 years ago and I wouldn't be surprised if the format outlasted CDs. For some reason people are still buying LPs and with the right equipment they still sound pretty good not to mention the artwork on the album covers. Anyway I own both LPs and CDs and I guess my next step will be high end streaming. Just haven't got there yet.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Just read a article that Pioneer is going to stop making stereo parts! How true that is can't say, the article is on MSN, goes on saying things that will disappear soon. Saying how wireless Bluetooth speakers are going to take over. Really?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Its absolutely dead!! You can't get a decent UHD Blu Ray Player without paying a hefty price. They're killing it off themselves.
Really? Define "decent" and "hefty price"

You can get a nice Sony blu-ray player with internet apps for about $80 or so, 4k is a bit more. I've got four Sony BRP's in the house (one 4k) and only lost one that was over 10 years old. I can't complain since it lasted over ten years. The rest are still going strong.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Really? Define "decent" and "hefty price"

You can get a nice Sony blu-ray player with internet apps for about $80 or so, 4k is a bit more. I've got four Sony BRP's in the house (one 4k) and only lost one that was over 10 years old. I can't complain since it lasted over ten years. The rest are still going strong.
I too am using an inexpensive Sony Blu-ray for video. It replaced an even cheaper Sony DVD (non Blu-ray) player which I used for a few years and still works. BTW there are lots for sale on Amazon these days.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
It’s toast. The convenience of streaming just makes way too much sense, and the quality even of basic Netflix stuff is still pretty good and improving. There will probably be specialty, Kaleidescape-like services emerge
for those who want higher quality, but optical discs are dead. The comparison to vinyl isn’t really valid here. People started listening to vinyl again because they enjoy the whole retro experience (including the turntable itself), which is hardly the case with a Blu-ray.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
LP is very much alive as a niche market. and will out live you and me. CD's on the other hand is dead. .

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
No man! You'll have had to been at Woodstock to understand.:p

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
LP is very much alive as a niche market. and will out live you and me. CD's on the other hand is dead. .
No, vinyl with all its hiss, snaps, warps and pops been dead save for few romantics and old baby boomer audiophiles trying to revive it. It's been over!! I predict, once them old geezers realize they can't make LP hip again, it will return to the dustbin of dead obsolete consumer products.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
No, vinyl with all its hiss, snaps, warps and pops been dead save for few romantics and old baby boomer audiophiles trying to revive it. It's been over!! I predict, once them old geezers realize they can't make LP hip again, it will return to the dustbin of dead obsolete consumer products.
You are sadly mistaken as its the younger generation who are now purchasing albums from new artists, not represses of old classic rock albums.

http://fortune.com/2017/11/13/young-adults-are-buying-more-vinyl-than-boomers/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billrosenblatt/2018/09/18/vinyl-is-bigger-than-we-thought-much-bigger/#760f33911c9c

This is always be a niche market.

Its clear to me that you have no love for vinyl, could be the poor equipment or neglect on your part in taking care of your collection that pushes you that way. However, your disdain for the medium doesn't make what you are saying about vinyl's longevity a fact. You are so wrong in everything that you just posted.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
You are sadly mistaken as its the younger generation who are now purchasing albums from new artists, not represses of old classic rock albums.

http://fortune.com/2017/11/13/young-adults-are-buying-more-vinyl-than-boomers/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billrosenblatt/2018/09/18/vinyl-is-bigger-than-we-thought-much-bigger/#760f33911c9c

This is always be a niche market.

Its clear to me that you have no love for vinyl, could be the poor equipment or neglect on your part in taking care of your collection that pushes you that way. However, your disdain for the medium doesn't make what you are saying about vinyl's longevity a fact. You are so wrong in everything that you just posted.
As a sound storage format the LP is very much inferior to a CD/SACD in it's capability, or just about any (all?) optical media for that matter. I for one does not miss "vinyl with all its hiss, snaps, warps and pops", and it has been decades since I bought an LP. The only thing I miss is the artwork and other extras that often came with a LP afforded by the physically much larger format.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
They may be trying to kill physical media, but there are still TONS of people that buy them regardless of what anyone things. Yes, streaming is something people love to use, but that's with netflix and such being pretty cheap IMHO. When EVERYONE has their own service and is limited to their own content you'll see a shift in what people want.

As long as Vudu, itunes, Google Movies, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, etc. have movies from just about every studio, streaming will still do well, but won't take over. I don't think we'll see that trend continue as the studios get more greedy.

"Buying" a movie from a streaming service like the ones I mentioned above makes no sense in the current environment. You do that and they lose the agreement with the studio that produced it, you no longer "own" the movie. Dumb.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis