What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I moved to a new building for work recently and every single desk is a sit/stand. I really love it.
My new office has them as well and I have been specifying for clients for several years. When they first became a thing, the presentations were hilarious - "Sitting is the new smoking!" :rolleyes:

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I just got a second Apple TV 4K streamer. This one is for my bedroom 2.1 system. :)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
The biggest issue with cassette tape was that they suffered from two issues, noise and 'Wow and Flutter'. Noise issues were resolved in some decks but even some expensive decks had unacceptable wow and flutter, which is the speed of the tape varying slightly as it spun. A good deck that controlled this plus had good noise control could make cassette sound very close to the quality of a good CD. Mix cassettes made on a good deck were very nice to listen to in the car...
And the only way to listen to multiple songs from multiple artists on one cassette back in the day.

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
Added a few movies to the collection. Picked these up at an estate sale for under 20 total.
Return to me and The net are DVD’s. Thor Ragnorak is 4K. The rest are Blu-Ray.
All in like new condition. All with Digital Certificates if they came with them. A couple are still in sealed case. There were probably 2000 movies at the sale. This is all I could find that I wanted but did not have. Yes, some of those are for my wife.

138D294C-DA52-48AE-96F9-ECE936B644A6.jpeg

Last edited:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Searched for a long time for this Bill Evans Trio on SACD to no avail...as a result I bought few DSD downloads recently.

Bill Evans .jpg
hugh.jpg
marvin gaye.jpg

All 3 downloaded perfectly...

Sunday At The Village Vanguard...DSD 2.8 MHz, a classic acoustic jazz album...I play this on Sunday mornings a lot.

Hope...DSD 2.8 MHz...the legendary trumpet player Hugh Masakela, very good.

What's Going On...FLAC 192kHz/24...One of Gaye's best albums of all-time imo.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
IMG_1929.JPG
IMG_1930.JPG
IMG_1932.JPG
IMG_1933.JPG
IMG_1931.JPG

Some new boxed-sets of jazz artists I've missed getting for my collection.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
These little guys set up shop in my half bathroom off my theater. They seemed to be getting ready for some kind of ceremony!

IndyArkFigures S.jpg

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Yeah, I think I enjoy perusing eBay a little too much. A Carver TFM-35x 250/350W (8/4 Ohm) amp (my second one now) is on its way too.... :D

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Alright, my last Raiders of the Lost Ark Staff of Ra headpiece was plastic crap. This one is gold plated pewter with an attachable staff top (not sure if the gem is glass or a topaz crystal, but either way it's not plastic). This one weighs over a pound. :D

I think I got a bargain on eBay. Everyone wants a RelicMaker piece (they sell for $210 + staff top + chain at considerably more cost to get the extras). The guy I bought this off of had no idea who made it. I'm "guessing" it's n Acme (think that was the name, don't quote me on it),which is out of production (company gone) and it had a few small detail flaws (bottom feathers weren't properly detailed),but otherwise the second closest one. I think it went for around $100 new. This guy was asking $75 and no one bid on it. I got him down to $40 + $8 shipping. I think it's easily worth that now that I see it in person (his photos weren't so great; it looked less detailed and golden colored than it actually is). He also thought the staff top was non-detachable from the headpiece. I could see the little prongs in the photo so I figured unless it was glued, it should come out (and since it's metal, you could heat it to melt the glue if needed). It wasn't glued. A couple of wiggles and it came right off the staff top and easily is put back on (friction fit with a 3-prong slot on the bottom). I can mount this one on a 6-foot pole and have the full Staff of Ra. I just need to turn my back room into a Map Room next.... ;)

Headpiece Front S.jpg
Headpiece On Staff Top S.jpg

Last edited:
VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I posted photos to a movie prop forum with experts on Indy props. It appears to be more authentic than I imagined, probably a 3rd generation mold of the original but from the movie production not a third party (apparently dozens were gifted to crew members). One guy said one mold in particular had the bottom edge stuck in something that obscured the tail feather detail completely and it was probably removed and the tail feather area repaired, bit then showed slightly less detail than it did originally. One of these "flawed" crew member examples went to auction for $60k! Now it was authenticated and sold by the crew member, of course, but damn. This one might be a lower generation copy, but even if it's not, it'd be hard to authenticate with no background info on its history. In any case, they seem to think I got it for a steal price at $48 shipped. It's definitely not a recent copy in any case.

That was the quick take I got anyway. To think no one even bid on it at $50 + shipping. I think the eBay photos were misleading, showing a silver cast and the seller claiming it and the staff were one piece (they're not), making it appear to be a cheap knockoff. You'd probably pay at least that much for just the staff attachment on the Relicmaker recreation version he still makes (the headpiece sells for $210 new). I have no idea what it's worth, but it's certainly better and more interesting than I expected.

This was the comparison photo I sent when I noticed it most closely matches the profiles in history auction version that has the same look to the tail feathers.
MedallionComparison.jpg

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Just picked these babies up.... (right pair had the left pair's "Landron" base too, but I moved that to my other piece as it looked better and the German one didn't fit right in it anyway....

Staff of Ra Acme Landron Front S.jpgStaff of Ra Acme Landron Back S.jpgStaff Of Raw German Front S.jpgStaff Of Raw German Back S.jpg

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
This just came today for my Carver AL-III Ribbon system.... (New matching Carver TFM-35x 350W into 4 Ohm amp to match the identical model I had for the woofer; it now plays noticeably louder as I had to turn the ribbon levels way down on the active crossover (seen below the bottom one with the red LED and in the second photo closeup). I put new banana plugs on while I was at it and saw some burn marks on one of the cables (must have been one of the times it went into protection on the Yamaha M-45). Cleaned up and tested. Yeah baby. The system is now 100% CARVER (active crossover is based on a former Carver engineer design by Audio-X-Stream and no longer made; the guy is VP of engineering of a San Francisco tech company now so I guess he doesn't have time to build and sell crossovers on the side anymore. ;) )

Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps.jpg
XStreamCrossover.jpg
Carver AL-III Overall.jpg

Last edited:
VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Well that amplifier lasted one whole day. (Popping sound like a cap when I powered it on today and the left channel suddenly doesn't work....) "In excellent condition" and "just checked out by a repair shop with new LEDs). Yeah, I wonder what they did when they were in there. One whole day.... $454. :rolleyes:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis