Audio terms BS and not BS

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Not sure it's been mentioned, but THX Certification is one of the things to simply ignore on any A/V products.

Any product that has THX certification has met a certain standard and PAID for that certification, but because it is a paid endorsement, it does not mean that those products without THX certification are of any lesser quality in any way whatsoever. THX doesn't add to the value just like non-THX doesn't take away from the value.

Read reviews, specifications, and listen yourself.
This post is deserving of another medal for truth.

Stop making so much sense @BMXTRIX. I'm running out of medals because of you today! :p

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
THX (the label) is a joke these days. I think it just got purchased by a computer company or something unrelated.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
As far as musicality goes, that the OP mentioned, I don't see it in the same category as other terms, nor do I see it as BS or snake oil. I think it is simply one of those imprecise terms people use to try and describe something they hear. I find it most often linked to the speakers like B&W that have somewhat pronounced upper mids; so, as the saying goes – music lives in the mids, thus “mid-hot” speakers are musical.

Curious thing is that you get very tempted to use precisely this word when you hear speakers like this.
I had a similar question like the OP and I’m sympathetic. Back then I was given a very nice, comprehensive list of terms most often used to describe how people perceive sound by @zieglj01 . I guess the best thing to do is to carry on sharing this knowledge.

The list doesn’t show snake oil terms, but very styled words (this sounds awful, but google translate offers that as a translation for a concept from stylistics) that convey impressions on sound.

DO NOT miss chocolatey :D:D

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
As far as musicality goes, that the OP mentioned, I don't see it in the same category as other terms, nor do I see it as BS or snake oil. I think it is simply one of those imprecise terms people use to try and describe something they hear. I find it most often linked to the speakers like B&W that have somewhat pronounced upper mids; so, as the saying goes – music lives in the mids, thus “mid-hot” speakers are musical.

Curious thing is that you get very tempted to use precisely this word when you hear speakers like this.
I had a similar question like the OP and I’m sympathetic. Back then I was given a very nice, comprehensive list of terms most often used to describe how people perceive sound by @zieglj01 . I guess the best thing to do is to carry on sharing this knowledge.

The list doesn’t show snake oil terms, but very styled words (this sounds awful, but google translate offers that as a translation for a concept from stylistics) that convey impressions on sound.

DO NOT miss chocolatey :D:D
Chocolately bass is my favorite kind. I have a review somewhere where the reviewer uses that exact description. Now I have to go dig it out and re-read it

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I think you are gravely underestimating marketeers ability to abuse terms :p

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Chocolately bass is my favorite kind. I have a review somewhere where the reviewer uses that exact description. Now I have to go dig it out and re-read it
Oh yeah buck! Chocolaty bass covered with a layer of Caramel midrange topped with super sweet delectable whipped cream treble, and shavings of dark chocolate for the air and presence of ethereal indulgence!!!
Damn my sweet tooth is callin my name!

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
My all-time favorite description from Stereophile reviewing the Vandersteen 2Ce Signature: "If the RM7si is a white wine, then the Vandersteen 2Ce Signature suggests the bloomy barley scent of sturdy Guinness Stout; the deep earth tones of heavy brown bread dipped in honey; your grandmother's meatloaf accompanied by mashed potatoes with roasted garlic, caramelized onions, gobs of butter, and heavy cream—in a word, comfort foods. ("A mixed green salad with that, sir?" "What am I, a goat? You graze, I'll eat.") Ahhh, home cooking."

The funny thing is, I agree!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My all-time favorite description from Stereophile reviewing the Vandersteen 2Ce Signature: "If the RM7si is a white wine, then the Vandersteen 2Ce Signature suggests the bloomy barley scent of sturdy Guinness Stout; the deep earth tones of heavy brown bread dipped in honey; your grandmother's meatloaf accompanied by mashed potatoes with roasted garlic, caramelized onions, gobs of butter, and heavy cream—in a word, comfort foods. ("A mixed green salad with that, sir?" "What am I, a goat? You graze, I'll eat.") Ahhh, home cooking."

The funny thing is, I agree!
Damn do I want a beer now!

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Drink something better. I like Delirium Nocturnum. Have a one liter at home waiting for me after work.... :D

(and a whole case of Wychwood Hobgoblin Ale)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Drink something better. I like Delirium Nocturnum. Have a one liter at home waiting for me after work.... :D

(and a whole case of Wychwood Hobgoblin Ale)
It’s still stout/porter season for me. Gets me through winter. Lol. A dark Belgian ale might be good in a couple months.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I always liked "liquid midrange". But I guess the term does have some merit since sound travels faster through liquid than gas (air). So I guess "solid midrange" would be the highest form of flattery? Man somebody get me a beer.:)

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
It’s still stout/porter season for me. Gets me through winter. Lol. A dark Belgian ale might be good in a couple months.
I'm a lager lout. I like it light and not hoppy. Mexican or Japanese beer does it for me.. although I make an exception for good lo' Yeungling (which is the darkest beer I enjoy if I'm in the mood for a second... unless I'm in the UK, then it's local stout on tap).

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Don't forget to make sure the cables are of equal length, because picoseconds count. :p

Also, never coil the cables. Tie them in a pretzel to reduce inductance. Doing otherwise is just nuts. (Keeping with the beer theme.):p

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Don't forget to make sure the cables are of equal length, because picoseconds count. :p

Also, never coil the cables. Tie them in a pretzel to reduce inductance. Doing otherwise is just nuts. (Keeping with the beer theme.):p
And make sure the arrows point in the right direction. Towards your beer.:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis