Audio terms BS and not BS

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have to ask - does the same theory apply to directional interconnects? I honestly don't know but have never heard a difference.
Directional interconnects? Seriously? The only directionality that comes to mind would be in an active hdmi cable.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Directional interconnects? Seriously? The only directionality that comes to mind would be in an active hdmi cable.
LOL. And here I was thinking the connections (assuming they're wired correctly) plug "in" or "out". Or does that make them bi-directional?

Hey y'all, I have bi-directional connectors.

IMG_1331.JPG

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Due to quantum tunneling, the adjuncted quanta in the interconnect can't be quantified or qualified at the same moment it's quintessence is quietly quickening as I'm quick to quibble over the quirks that mediate and necessitate a quiet meditation about the formulation being fired by the neurons in the frontal lobe of my brain in order to confabulate the data introduced by the methodology of minuta that accompanies the sort of abject abyssal abomination that abides by nearly every audiophile's idea of a natural notion of nirvana. Thus, the dastardly dystopia that dominates the dominion of dire dyspepsia definitely does a great disservice to the daunting daredevil idea that Darwinism can be overcome by a simple demand of disjointed abstracted data or that circular logic might somehow necessitate the need to overcome the not necessarily new notion that absenteeism is not an alchemist's demonstrative demon of pathology, but forthwith the directionality implied in the electron flow should quite necessarily be equal or at least approaching an equivalency equal to the sum of the difference divided by the ratio's natural quantum dissolution. Thus when aligning the interconnect with the mu factor while factoring in the need of many far Eastern peoples' desire for Chi alignment as well, the interconnect must be carefully placed such that neither its Chi or its muons are agitated by the sub-atomic flow of the quantum field relative to the distribution of neutron flux. Hencewith, the arrows should be placed not in alignment with the polarity of the electrical equivalence, but rather circumspect with the goal of obtaining a quantum mechanical metronome of sorts in order to facilitate the momentary neutron flux and the resultant headway obtained thereof. By now, it should be abundantly clear for the necessitated velocity to be observed not in regards to the speed of electron flow approaching 'c' but the non-linear adjuncted quanta predicated by the muons and quarks natural tendencies.

Do you all now agree?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Doesn't it go in one direction first, then a change of mind, goes in the other. It certainly doesn't go both directions at the same instant, does it? ;)

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Just left Best Buy again... I learned that I need a power conditioner to make my sound very black. Also I need to upgrade my power cables so that my amps can get the full amperage from the wall socket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Just left Best Buy again... I learned that I need a power conditioner to make my sound very black. Also I need to upgrade my power cables so that my amps can get the full amperage from the wall socket.

Another reason to trust what big box stores sell...

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Another reason to trust what big box stores sell...
I did order a SVS PB 1000. Told the guy my setup and he auditioned some B&W diamond bookshelf’s with a nice REL sub. Asked him to step it down a notch so he put on some Martin Logan bookshelf’s with the SB 2000. I actually really liked the Martin Logan’s... this is real life, not enough money....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did order a SVS PB 1000. Told the guy my setup and he auditioned some B&W diamond bookshelf’s with a nice REL sub. Asked him to step it down a notch so he put on some Martin Logan bookshelf’s with the SB 2000. I actually really liked the Martin Logan’s... this is real life, not enough money....

I'd generally put their Rel sub reco with the power cable/cord recos....bbbs!

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic

So the question is, did you have faith in the PB1000 because it was redommended by BB staff, read positive reviews about it, or because the audition made you a believer?

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
So the question is, did you have faith in the PB1000 because it was redommended by BB staff, read positive reviews about it, or because the audition made you a believer?
They didn’t have one to audition but did give me a money back guarantee. He tried to sell me on a Martin Logan sub for almost 50% off but the specs showed a frequency response of 35hz +. I’d like to have something that performs in the subsonic range and the pb 1000 checked that on paper. The Martin Logan was a downfiring muddy mess and the cheapest REL was difficult to spot at modest level movie playback. I’m going for my best educated guess.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Just as long as you made the choice, because the average big box store salesperson generally has poor technical/product knowledge.

A PB1000 offers very good bang for buck, but it's not capable of meaningful subsonic performance unless you put a lot of qualifiers on that.

OK, it performs down to 19 Hz on paper in quasi anechoic, which means room gain, but it's not like it's an Ultra or anything.

Not dissing your new toy (it's a great sub) but don't get too wrapped up thinking this is a room shaker... not that this should be top of anyone's list for a sub. I just hope you chose the sub for its other, more meaningful, qualities.... because it certainly has things going for it other than ultimo bass extension.

Last edited:
T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Just as long as you made the choice, because the average big box store salesperson generally has poor technical/product knowledge.

A PB1000 offers very good bang for buck, but it's not capable of meaningful subsonic performance (not that most people need it anyway).

Specs here...

https://www.svsound.com/collections/1000-series/products/pb-1000
I did choose it specifically for the online ratings and its ability to go below the sonic range. I listened to several different subs, the REL is supposed to be great for music but in a medium sized room was almost difficult to feel its presence at the lower price range. The SB 2000 made its presence known but was very subtle. Figured the pb-1000 wouldn’t be too far behind.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, you're probably right on all those points. Like I said, it's a great sub because it does more useful things... like delivering fairly flat response in the mid and sub bass parts of the audio spectrum, having a great form factor, working with line and high level inputs, and being competitively priced.

These things are way more important than anything that happens below 20 Hz (which is inaudible and more likely to cause buzzes in your listening space than seismic level room effects).

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I have to ask - does the same theory apply to directional interconnects? I honestly don't know but have never heard a difference.
Directional interconnects depends on what specific type of interconnect we are discussing.

There have been a number of arguments about dropping the ground from one end of a connection to help keep ground loops from coming into play. So, a cable that employs this will be directional in that regard. It won't necessarily help the audio in any way in a system that doesn't have any issues with grounding at all. But, it may help in a system that has ground issues.

HDMI interconnects that are listed as 'directional' are a COMPLETELY different matter! HDMI has cables which employ active digital chips inside of them which maintain a proper signal. These chips don't change the signal, or improve/hurt the signal, they just maintain the original signal over the distance required. So, they are awesome at doing their job and a great way to go if you want a ultra-slim HDMI cable that can handle 18Gb/s bandwidth.

People are quick to dis' things that may sometimes make more sense with more knowledge, so it's important to be specific.

The flip side to directional audio interconnects is the 'active' ones, which, AFAIK, should be avoided at all times. A battery on a audio interconnect isn't going to be doing good things, but it may very well be directional... just not good.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Snake oil:

'Fastest transmission speed available'
'Nothing is better'

These are market speak for saying that 'we meet the maximum currently specified'. Not that they are better than anyone else, but that they are the SAME as everyone else.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Almost forgot the best comment from the guy at Best Buy, apparently you can arc weld with a Macintosh amplifier.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis