JBL studio 230....SUPERB!

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
I want to give a review of my new JBL studio 230 speakers. I am no audiophile by any means but I do know about these few things compared to my old polk RTI6s. soundstage, detail, clarity, power. these 4 things blow my old polks out of the water! these speakers are beautiful! very nice piano look on the top and beautiful cabinet. these studios are heavy and well constructed. I listen to 70-80s rock and I am completely astounded by the sound they produce!. I have only listened to them for a few hours as I just received them yesterday and immediately hooked them up to test them out. soundstage is beautiful and midrange is full and precise. highs are very detailed and at high volume they are clear and no distortion. I ran the volume up until I couldn't stand it any futher and remained clear and beautiful. for 159.00 from JBL on ebay this is a steal in my mind. thanks to zieglj01 for steering me to these incredible speakers!:)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Continue to enjoy the audio adventure -- mine will be here today

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
Continue to enjoy the audio adventure -- mine will be here today
I have only had these speakers since yesterday and I am in love with these speakers! polk is the only speakers I have ever owned and I have been missing out. these have everything I was looking for. I am on a high with these speakers!.thanks so much!:)

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
BTW, these speakers look brand new. I cant even see a blemish. refurbished from JBL I feel like I stole them!:)

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
after some more hours of listening to the studios another thing that is much better than my polks is the BASS! these sound deeper and fuller on the lowend. my whole system is much more involving and lively. I just want to listen to them more and more.:) I have to watch it though, I might not get my chores done around the house:D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I might not get my chores done around the house
What are those?
My daily action Item list:
1: listen to music
2: repeat item 1
3: do dishes
4: vacuum house
5: mow lawn
6: prune garden
7:........

She doesn't seem to understand that I always accomplish my first two goals!!! ;)

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
What are those?
My daily action Item list:
1: listen to music
2: repeat item 1
3: do dishes
4: vacuum house
5: mow lawn
6: prune garden
7:........

She doesn't seem to understand that I always accomplish my first two goals!!! ;)
WOW, we seem to be a mirror image of each other!:cool:

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
zieglj01 did you get your studios today and have you tried them yet?

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
They are here -- and they look like new -- and all for $160 delivered
yes mine were the same. beautiful speaker and so is the sound. I'm pretty impressed and like you said all for 160.00!:)

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
bad news.... one speaker quit working. I hooked up to the other side and same thing. I sent email to harmon for a replacement. what a bummer. I was enjoying these so much . don't know what happened.:mad:

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
bad news.... one speaker quit working. I hooked up to the other side and same thing. I sent email to harmon for a replacement. what a bummer. I was enjoying these so much . don't know what happened.:mad:
That is something really rare for speakers

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
That is something really rare for speakers
don't know what else to do. I thought about taking it apart to see if anything came loose but I am afraid to do anything as it could void warranty if it is something else wrong.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That is very unusual - speakers are pretty reliable as a rule. Did they quit working entirely as in absolutely no sound or was it a tweeter or a woofer that kept going?
What do you mean by you hooked up the other side? Were you originally playing them in Stereo and the right-side side blew, for example, then you hooked the left speaker to that side and it blew? That might indicate a problem with your receiver or amplifier.
Hopefully Harman will just send you a new pair, but you don't want to have them blow.

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
no sound at all. like it just completely died. I took the speaker wire that was plugged into the speaker that was working and plugged it into the speaker that was not working and no sound at all but the other speaker was working fine. basically I just swapped wires. receiver is fine as I went back and plugged in the polks and all is good. cant figure it out. when I was playing it last night it was fine and this morning when I cut the receiver on I had no sound coming from the defective speaker.

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
I wonder if something came loose inside on the back where the binding post are?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I wonder if something came loose inside on the back where the binding post are?
Unscrew the binding post and see if one of the wires came off -- my guess is that a wire is loose between the post and crossover, or a broken solder at the crossover input

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis