JBL studio 230....SUPERB!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I can tell why I'm adamant. If the impedance drops at any point below the DC resistance of the connected drivers, then the crossover components and the drivers are in resonance and that speaker is a dud design. That condition is absolute evidence of a resonant circuit and is one of the most incompetent issues a designer can create.
Ah... I misread your post. My fault. While I don't know the resistance of the drivers in most commercial speakers, I read your statement as the resistance of any given driver, and not the set of drivers and how they're connected (e.g. in parallel).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ah... I misread your post. My fault. While I don't know the resistance of the drivers in most commercial speakers, I read your statement as the resistance of any given driver, and not the set of drivers and how they're connected (e.g. in parallel).
I knew you wanted the full half hour. I don't think I expressed myself as clearly as I should have. Yes, you have the point now. You will love the Dayton Woofer Tester.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
It is a lot more than a woofer tester, so I'm ordering one.
Glory be! I have one and am trying to learn how to use it. ATM I have 3 pairs of 10" subs of 3 different models. So far I (correctly) ran in-box impedance/phase angle sweeps on a pair of Infinities after incorrectly running free air measurements on one Infinity driver. Clearly I need a better approach to data collection. Of interest, one driver had a markedly different Vas. Worth noting is that I'm clueless as to what the reasons/implications might be. So whatever you're doing with that DATS V2 is suddenly fascinating.

. How many reading this can define phase angle of an electrical load without resorting to a search engine?
Phase Angle Bad: no need search engine. :D

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Glory be! I have one and am trying to learn how to use it. ATM I have 3 pairs of 10" subs of 3 different models. So far I (correctly) ran in-box impedance/phase angle sweeps on a pair of Infinities after incorrectly running free air measurements on one Infinity driver. Clearly I need a better approach to data collection. Of interest, one driver had a markedly different Vas. Worth noting is that I'm clueless as to what the reasons/implications might be. So whatever you're doing with that DATS V2 is suddenly fascinating.
For me it'll be nothing but a toy for learning, assuming we stretch the definition of learning to include idle curiosity. I wish I would have had one years ago when I owned the original Legacy Audio Focus. A friend who wanted to get into the speaker design and manufacturing business (fool!) was fascinated by them, and brought over a bunch of comparatively crude measuring equipment to analyze them. He was appalled at what he measured as their electrical characteristics. I would like to see for myself, but the Foci are long gone.

Phase Angle Bad: no need search engine. :D
I warned you about those Cinnabons in a different thread. Look what they've done to your brain!

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
ok I want to ask a question as the OP. I have reordered the JBL studio 230s and want to know about the speaker level in my Yamaha AVR. should I be using the speaker level or just the volume knob to gain more volume from my speakers or does it matter?:confused:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
ok I want to ask a question as the OP. I have reordered the JBL studio 230s and want to know about the speaker level in my Yamaha AVR. should I be using the speaker level or just the volume knob to gain more volume from my speakers or does it matter?:confused:
Whether you use room correction or not when all is done, I would run YPAO to at least set the level and distance... then use just your volume knob.

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
I have been listening to my studios for about two weeks now and playing around with the crossover setting. I started at 80 then 90 then 100 and lastly 120. I went back and forth between these listening to each setting for a few days. I now think that for my ears anyway that the 90 setting is the best. my Dayton sub1000 stopped working so I sent it back for a refund and got a klipsch R-100SW on ebay from newegg. to me it is a good sub and it plays deeper and has a better punch than the 1000! BTW, I really like the 230s!:)

P

pberghmans

Enthusiast
I want to give a review of my new JBL studio 230 speakers. I am no audiophile by any means but I do know about these few things compared to my old polk RTI6s. soundstage, detail, clarity, power. these 4 things blow my old polks out of the water! these speakers are beautiful! very nice piano look on the top and beautiful cabinet. these studios are heavy and well constructed. I listen to 70-80s rock and I am completely astounded by the sound they produce!. I have only listened to them for a few hours as I just received them yesterday and immediately hooked them up to test them out. soundstage is beautiful and midrange is full and precise. highs are very detailed and at high volume they are clear and no distortion. I ran the volume up until I couldn't stand it any futher and remained clear and beautiful. for 159.00 from JBL on ebay this is a steal in my mind. thanks to zieglj01 for steering
me to these incredible speakers!:)

Hi. Looking for very good speakers with bass who dont need sub. listening to soundtracks and electronic music alot. Want to feel bass but not overwhelming but tight and much detail mid range.. Are these speakers good for this ? I am thinking of drivin them through bluesound powernode 2i

P

pberghmans

Enthusiast
hi
are these suited for in a big living room 60m2 filling it with nice big sound & no sweetspot ?

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
yes, the 230s have very good bass. I was listening to them for awhile when my other sub died and they were very enjoyable even without the sub. I have a good size room 12x15 which opens into the dining area and the room filled up nicely. very spacious sounding!

P

pberghmans

Enthusiast
thanks

i was thinking of driving them with bluesound powernode 2i. since i dont want to spend much on ampli and i need streamer anyway. shall i drive these speakers to the best you think ? what are you using and do you know anyone who uses bluesound with this speakers pls ? thanks for feedback

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
thanks

i was thinking of driving them with bluesound powernode 2i. since i dont want to spend much on ampli and i need streamer anyway. shall i drive these speakers to the best you think ? what are you using and do you know anyone who uses bluesound with this speakers pls ? thanks for feedback
The JBL 230s are rated down to 52Hz... Not going to give you the bass you are wanting. Just like on that other thread, these will not deliver for you. Especially for electronica. At the very least, you need to be looking for something that will get you down into the mid-low 30s. But a sub is really going to be necessary if you have any hope of experiencing full range.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis