confused on atmos system

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This will be much more practical for me given the shape of the room.
5.x.2
I don't have atmos receiver yet. I am thinking about buying everything new.
So I need help picking out a receiver that can do 5.2.2 atmos.
Also I'll get free standing floor speakers to go behind the couch in an angle like the pic shows above.
Standmounts work too... You want those to be a little above ear level. So for me, I sit with my ears about 49" H. My Surround Tweeters are~55-57"H

B

bnumair

Audioholic Intern
Thank you both of you guys for such great info and help I much needed.
Now last question regarding the receiver.
Any suggestions. I dont want to buy something too big but just enough to handle 5.2.2 atmos.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If you can live with a refurb this denon 3400 seems to be a favorite for 500 bucks at 50% off. Haven’t looked at that their much but will look some more.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
VTI Makes some 36" H stands that hold up to 100# they claim... but you need to fill those f'ers with lead if you put something that heavy on them! I've got Kiln Dried Sand in my stands, and the 32# speakers on top still concern me a little. You can see my rig here: B-M-WOW!
Still a work in progress. I hope to be finished tweaking the room and such in another week or two.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

this is what you’ll be looking to achieve. You definitely don’t have room for a 7ch base layer but you can probably get away with 5.x.4.
This is like my room except my sides are wall mounted at ear level.. Looks like I need to move my towers out wider to achieve this. I’ll want to make that adjustment first to verify imaging etc. I guess this is also an excuse to move my reclining love seat with console up a bit closer to my 65in 4K TV. :). My room is 15.5 x 15.5 x 8.5.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
No problem! When I read the first post i mistakenly thought the ceiling speakers were installed. I was like.....uuuumm. This is gonna be rough. Lol
I think the room has a good chance.
For subs I would consider the pc3000 from SVS. 2/3 of my subs are cylinders and I’ve always loved the desolate performance. I don’t remember a budget. Are you locked down to certain money? Or pretty open?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you both of you guys for such great info and help I much needed.
Now last question regarding the receiver.
Any suggestions. I dont want to buy something too big but just enough to handle 5.2.2 atmos.
Ha. What's too big? :p
And you are welcome!

B

bnumair

Audioholic Intern
U am pretty open. I dont mind spending 500-700 on receiver and then whatever it takes to get speakers.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
(PC3000 doesn't exist... yet. *fingers crossed)

I like the PC 4000, but they are tall. Can't use one as your "End Table" ;) But SVS is well liked because of performance and great CS!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
This is like my room except my sides are wall mounted at ear level.. Looks like I need to move my towers out wider to achieve this. I’ll want to make that adjustment first to verify imaging etc. I guess this is also an excuse to move my reclining love seat with console up a bit closer to my 65in 4K TV. :). My room is 15.5 x 15.5 x 8.5.
Remember this is a guideline and actually the link that I put up last night is a bit more of a deep dive. The thing is atmos is really pretty easy to get right but obviously you don’t want to deviate tooo far. I would set up my mains before anything and let everything else follow suit. I am 95% music, 95% movies and 5% whatever. With time and patience you can have a system that’s great for movies AND music but I always start with my mains. If they ain’t right...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
(PC3000 doesn't exist... yet. *fingers crossed)

I like the PC 4000, but they are tall. Can't use one as your "End Table" ;) But SVS is well liked because of performance and great CS!
You mean those tiger scratch posts? LOL :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Remember this is a guideline and actually the link that I put up last night is a bit more of a deep dive. The thing is atmos is really pretty easy to get right but obviously you don’t want to deviate tooo far. I would set up my mains before anything and let everything else follow suit. I am 95% music, 95% movies and 5% whatever. With time and patience you can have a system that’s great for movies AND music but I always start with my mains. If they ain’t right...
Ya looks like the 4 ceiling line up with the mains so making a more or less permanent decision here... :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ya looks like the 4 ceiling line up with the mains so making a more or less permanent decision here... :)

From this diagram(in the more detailed link) and what I’ve read is it’s more important to keep the “square” above you than lining up with the mains. My buddy has a 5.4.4 with his surrounds way too far behind the LP and his mains pushed out to the corners because of the projector. It’s not how I would have done it, but it’s pretty damn good.
Thing is to NOT overthink atmos. It’s pretty forgiving. As long as you get close it’s good. But you might be like me and sweet every stupid thing I can.

B

bnumair

Audioholic Intern
Got it, I bought that denon from ebay.
Now any recommendations on ceiling speakers for atmos?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis