The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
This week we watched The Meg and The Equalizer 2.

The Meg is Atmos and what there is of it sounds fine, but not really stand out example. You will need to suspend disbelief and it is mostly a mash of Jaws and Deep Blue Sea. It is perfectly watchable and silly.

The Equalizer 2 is something of a disappointment, UK is Dts HDMA only, but the sound is fine up mixed as per the first film. It is with the story where problem lies. It cost 50 mil and made 100 box office, so a 3rd is possibly off the cards, at least for now. It feels disjointed and scattered and lacks a real/good baddie like the first. It is not terrible but I had hoped for better.:(

We also watched The Collector (2009). This is not a great horror film but it does up mix well. Think basically home invasion SaW.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844479/

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This week we watched The Meg and The Equalizer 2.
I agree.

I thought EQ-1 was better than EQ-2 in terms of both Atmos sound and movie plot.

I didn't like The Meg as much as you did in terms of movie plot/acting. Atmos effect was not too bad, but nothing big. :D

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
So you’re NOT going to upgrade to ATMOS, and you think ATMOS will be forgotten like 3D video?

1. ATMOS is being packaged with 4K/UHD BD. So if you think that 4K/UHD will also fade away like 3D video, then it might be true.

2. ATMOS has been out since 2013. Almost 6 years later and the number of ATMOS BD have increased significantly, not reduced in numbers.

How long did 3D video last? 2 or 3 years?

3. ATMOS is backward-compatible with Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital. It can coexist with TrueHD on the same disc. Even if 4K/UHD fails, they could still put ATMOS on the same 1080p TrueHD BD. Even if TrueHD fails, they could still put ATMOS on the same 1080p DD BD.

3D video is a separate disc from the regular 2D video.

4. As long as 4K/UHD/8K/ATMOS sell as features of AVR, Pre-Pro, TV, and other devices, why would they just stop making ATMOS?

5. And the SALIENT thing is, even if they do stop asking ATMOS, we still have the awesome DSU and NeuralX to turn almost everything into ATMOS and DTSX anyway. :D

@Bookmark can tell you that watching “Equalizer” in NeuralX sounded almost like watching an ATMOS or DTSX movie.
I have to admit I might have been wrong about Atmos, it will probably live on as a part of a soundbar system. I see people going to there stores buying those Atmos soundbar systems.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have to admit I might have been wrong about Atmos, it will probably live on as a part of a soundbar system. I see people going to there stores buying those Atmos soundbar systems.
My Samsung S9+ Phone has Atmos.

Everyone has Atmos.

Last edited:
rekh127

rekh127

Audioholic Intern
Does anyone here game with their atmos speakers? Not very many games support it natively but the dolby surround upmixer seems to add some fun to games anyways. Battlefront 1 (the reboot) does have atmos and it's glorious. Fallout 4 doesn't but I've liked the way the upmixer separates out environmental sounds to the height speakers. Makes locating sound effects in the surround a lot easier.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
Does anyone here game with their atmos speakers? Not very many games support it natively but the dolby surround upmixer seems to add some fun to games anyways. Battlefront 1 (the reboot) does have atmos and it's glorious. Fallout 4 doesn't but I've liked the way the upmixer separates out environmental sounds to the height speakers. Makes locating sound effects in the surround a lot easier.
Since the (in progress) home theater will also have a gaming rig in it... "working on it"

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I bet developers could do even more things with games than with movies in terms of Atmos effects.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
I bet developers could do even more things with games than with movies in terms of Atmos effects.
I'd argue that most games already use an Atmos-like system, and have for a long time.

Atmos works by placing sound in a space on a sphere and then projecting that onto the speaker array. Most games place sound in a 3D space and then project that onto a speaker array. The only difference is the number of speakers involved, and that's a minor one.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I watched Cowboys and Aliens last night a guilty pleasure of mine. That had some amazing upmixes. Especially when the aliens where flying overhead and picking everyone up. Avatar wasn't as good upmixes as If. hoped but still sounded great overall. But on the new 120 inch screen and with the new projector? Atmos sounds fan fricking tastic. There's something about being immersed into this beautiful giant picture with all this immersive audio going all around you. Ahhhhhh it feels so good! Lol

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I watched Cowboys and Aliens last night a guilty pleasure of mine. That had some amazing upmixes. Especially when the aliens where flying overhead and picking everyone up. Avatar wasn't as good upmixes as If. hoped but still sounded great overall. But on the new 120 inch screen and with the new projector? Atmos sounds fan fricking tastic. There's something about being immersed into this beautiful giant picture with all this immersive audio going all around you. Ahhhhhh it feels so good! Lol
And going into the gaming comments I love 1rst person shooters and horror games and can only imagine what atmos could do with those type of games.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
And going into the gaming comments I love 1rst person shooters and horror games and can only imagine what atmos could do with those type of games.
Ya I’ll bet DSU can do some crazy stuff all on its own with certain games. :)

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I tried A L I E N (1979) DVD R1 20th anniversary last month on the 4k-projector (not that dreadful rubbish bluray with cropped scope framing)

After less than few seconds I switched the Dolby DSU OFF as it didn't improve it still and will always have that sound sync issue with overhead surrounds the DSU makes a holy sounding mess of it.

One the surrounds are intentionally mono discrete and the DSU adding front sound imaging to be overhead doesn't get the approval maybe if the AVR had more outputs so that multi formatting can be programmed in the AVR for certain sound formats as the overhead sound more less belongs up front, not on the ceiling.

Native Atmos as it is is okay but the DSU still isn't all that great. I prefer using my own additional matrix decoders that are attached to surrounds to use as and when, not the DSU it might have brainwashed the masses but not me.

46514315_10156659646350149_3516591287773954048_n.jpg

46491523_10156659647675149_7516719696062709760_n.jpg

46520386_10156659694975149_2450219271171604480_n.jpg

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Another episode of Upmix.

Just saw “Unforgiven” again for lord knows how many times now. :D

This time unmixed with NeuralX.

I love the theme music playing overhead in the beginning and end of the movie.

Love hearing the very frequent thunder and rain loud and clear from overhead.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’m watching the Netflix show “Travelers” season 3 in Atmos.

There are some intercom voices overhead.

Also some computer-related sounds from overhead.

Birds singing overhead.

Not too shabby. :D

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’m watching the Netflix show “Travelers” season 3 in Atmos.

There are some intercom voices overhead.

Also some computer-related sounds from overhead.

Not too shabby. :D
That looks very interesting.
I’m a little behind you, but I’m going through altered carbon right now. What a mind fukk...lol.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis