4 uls-15 mk2’s vs 4 pb-2000’s

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yea I was planning on purchasing a mic n rew but now it seems more like a placement issue. I hear it on music but is it also affecting movies? Movies sound awesome
Were the guys at HSU helpful? Did you try calling them yet? I’m sure they would want to get you setup right so you will want to order 1 or 2 more.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Ok I saw your pics first off beautiful beautiful stunning room. Congratulations what a setup!

Second how big is that room again? That's a bigger area then I thought. And That stairway going up is probably killing you just adds a lot more cubic air but hopefully it's closed off up top.

Third what subs did you buy again? Even though your only in one part of the room that's a lot of open air and as you stayed just lack of any boundary on the one side. You'll need some powerhouses in there. But keep in mind power won't solve a room node by itself. So be careful in just going crazy thinking the most powerful sub will do it. That room node will still suck out bass. It's positioning of the subs that will solve this problem hopefully

Fourth. Did you ever do a sub crawl when you were setting up that room to find the best spots for each sub? Or like I have in some of my setups did they just go where they looked great and it was convenient?

Now here's some ideas I already have. Your answer to those questions will help as well.

Idea #1. Moving a sub even short distances can help. Have you ever thought of moving the front subs from inside the towers to outside on that front wall where the tv is. Try spacing them out and even trying both corners there.

Idea#2 the same with the back subs can they be moved wider apart. Just moving the subs along those walls could do it if you find a sweet spot.

Idea #3 I noticed your seating has an opening between rows 1 and 2 along that side where there's a wall. Have you tried placing one there? If size is an issue SVS cylinder subs would work great there

Idea#4 how about besides the seats on the outer rows. 2 either on that front row to each side or 2 to each side on that back row? Even all 4 right there. If done right they could look like really cool end tables.

Just some initial thoughts lemme know what you think
When spreading them apart up front, should I angle them toward seating or have facing straight ahead?

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
We’re the guys at HSU helpful? Did you try calling them yet? I’m sure they would want to get you setup right so you will want to order 1 or 2 more.
Yea they were. They thought up front would be fine but they also suggested one behind me near field and one up front in corner either left or right but I’m probably gonna have to call them again

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
When spreading them apart up front, should I angle them toward seating or have facing straight ahead?
Try both ways and try different spots on the wall. After trying the corners then try working them back in along the wall till you get to the outside of the towers. Till you hit the sweetest spot. Also 7400 cubed feet and open to one side like that is a big big room. You'll definetly need 4 in my opinion. Not to mention 4 of those mamba jambas would be just a kickass setup! My dual Pb 4000's are in an 8500 cubed room and like your hsu they kick ass but I can tell they would definetly benefit from 2 more which I plan on getting my room is complicated as well in its layout rooms that big with complicated layouts need multiples spread out in my humble opinion. After that and when there in the right sweet spots measuring and eqing where necessary is then the next step.

But you can have 8 subs put them in the wrong spots in your room and still have crappy bass. It's crazy how much impact the room has on the bass. So you gotta make sure you have them in the sweet spots wherever and whenever you can

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Try both ways and try different spots on the wall. After trying the corners then try working them back in along the wall till you get to the outside of the towers. Till you hit the sweetest spot. Also 7400 cubed feet and open to one side like that is a big big room. You'll definetly need 4 in my opinion. Not to mention 4 of those mamba jambas would be just a kickass setup! My dual Pb 4000's are in an 8500 cubed room and like your hsu they kick ass but I can tell they would definetly benefit from 2 more which I plan on getting my room is complicated as well in its layout rooms that big with complicated layouts need multiples spread out in my humble opinion. After that and when there in the right sweet spots measuring and eqing where necessary is then the next step.

But you can have 8 subs put them in the wrong spots in your room and still have crappy bass. It's crazy how much impact the room has on the bass. So you gotta make sure you have them in the sweet spots wherever and whenever you can
Thx for some advice man, keep it coming, appreciate you trying to help. I just spread them out up front but I had to slide my towers in to get them to fit. I angled them in slightly toward the listening area, they’re pretty much angled like my towers. Think I should keep them angled slightly or facing straight forward? I was looking at what you got too but decided on these, these are awesome though and I’m sure yours are. I don’t have time to play with these tonight, I’ve gotta be at work by 1030 tonight so it’ll have to wait till tomorrow. I don’t have rew or mic yet so I’ll re-run ypao tomorrow n then check everything with my spl meter. I’ll definitely keep you posted on what’s going on. I’d send you pics now but idk how on here, lovenhd had to put the other ones on here for me

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief

If I start moving them toward my stand along front wall my towers are gonna be close as hell to the stand

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief

You think I should try using two of my other subs too, I’ve just been running the vtf3s?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You think I should try using two of my other subs too, I’ve just been running the vtf3s?
No problem bro plenty of people were here to help me. Yeah those monsters are big which makes placement tough. If it squeezes your towers I'd just try them in the corners angle them and try them straight. Measure with your ears which is still your most important tool for measurement. Although not downplaying the rest you know what food bass sounds like for you.

On using the old bics I'd advise against it. They are not even in the same league as those beautiful monsters you got there. Trying to get them to play nice with your HSU's would be too much hassle in my opinion. Just get those 2 on the best spots for optimal sound then get 2 more like your planning to in a couple months

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
No problem bro plenty of people were here to help me. Yeah those monsters are big which makes placement tough. If it squeezes your towers I'd just try them in the corners angle them and try them straight. Measure with your ears which is still your most important tool for measurement. Although not downplaying the rest you know what food bass sounds like for you.

On using the old bics I'd advise against it. They are not even in the same league as those beautiful monsters you got there. Trying to get them to play nice with your HSU's would be too much hassle in my opinion. Just get those 2 on the best spots for optimal sound then get 2 more like your planning to in a couple months
Yea I figured they would overpower them. Thx dude I appreciate it. Since I only hear this in music, would you assume it’s also going on in movies even though I’m not really hearing it?

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief

I’ll keep you posted man. Yea everyone I’ve talked with has seemed like good people except one d-bag which i haven’t seen him on hear in a few weeks

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I’ll keep you posted man. Yea everyone I’ve talked with has seemed like good people except one d-bag which i haven’t seen him on hear in a few weeks
I gotta get to work

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
H
I gotta get to work
Have a good night bro I'll touch base with you tommorow let me know whatvresults you get after you move an around and play them in different spots.

Thats a tough question on the movie thing. But I'd wager a guess that if you can optimize there spots in the room you very well could hear an improvement in movies as well as music too

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yea I was planning on purchasing a mic n rew but now it seems more like a placement issue. I hear it on music but is it also affecting movies? Movies sound awesome
Generally, SQ is not so critical for movies as it is for music.
For bass, a dinosaur stomp or an explosion are sounds that are fun, and we are happy as long as they are strong! However the balance of the instruments in music matters very much; and, furthermore, it is the balance of the fundamental along with the harmonics that is critical for a Kettle Drum (or any other instrument) to sound like it should!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thx for some advice man, keep it coming, appreciate you trying to help. I just spread them out up front but I had to slide my towers in to get them to fit. I angled them in slightly toward the listening area, they’re pretty much angled like my towers. Think I should keep them angled slightly or facing straight forward? I was looking at what you got too but decided on these, these are awesome though and I’m sure yours are. I don’t have time to play with these tonight, I’ve gotta be at work by 1030 tonight so it’ll have to wait till tomorrow. I don’t have rew or mic yet so I’ll re-run ypao tomorrow n then check everything with my spl meter. I’ll definitely keep you posted on what’s going on. I’d send you pics now but idk how on here, lovenhd had to put the other ones on here for me
They're not directional like speakers, more omnidirectional than something you point in a particular direction. Some even turn them around and point them at the wall. Might be more about aesthetic of looking at it for some, too.

D

Dellrhigley13

Audiophyte
I’m not a hard-core bass head either and I’m not spending 5k on subs but I do want to be hit in the chest on movies. My subs now are 4 bic pl-200’s, they’re good budget subs but imo they’re not true subwoofers. They sound pretty good with the upper end but I think they’re limited in the lower end. I did forget about outlaw, looking at their numbers the x12/vtf2 look comparable and trust me I’d spend less if I’m getting quality. I think anything I get would be an upgrade to what I have now

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
H

Have a good night bro I'll touch base with you tommorow let me know whatvresults you get after you move an around and play them in different spots.

Thats a tough question on the movie thing. But I'd wager a guess that if you can optimize there spots in the room you very well could hear an improvement in movies as well as music too
When I get home in the morning I’ll play around and see how it sounds. Hopefully it’s good, I don’t really have a lot of options for placement. But they are awesome subs, very happy and the old ones are no comparison. Did you use rew?

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
My vtf3s sound awesome but can anyone tell me why when I lean forward some in my seat the bass sounds even better? I’m really only hearing this when listening to music. I have two rows of seats and usually sit in second row. I’ve been measuring from my main second row seat n tonight I tried measuring from all the seats. It sounds the same even if I just measure from main second row seat
I'm not sure about the scientific reason, but I have the same issue. If I sit on the floor I'm ear level with the bass/mid bass so it does sound a little better. Also my ideal LP is about 9' from the speakers seated about 6" lower than my normal seat which is about 13' from the speakers. I call it room effect.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I'm not sure about the scientific reason, but I have the same issue. If I sit on the floor I'm ear level with the bass/mid bass so it does sound a little better. Also my ideal LP is about 9' from the speakers seated about 6" lower than my normal seat which is about 13' from the speakers. I call it room effect.
I’m really hearing it with music man. I sit normal and I lean forward about a foot, the bass sounds even better

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I’m really hearing it with music man. I sit normal and I lean forward about a foot, the bass sounds even better
Like KEW said music with bass is a lot more complex so it's why your probably hearing it more with the music and not movies. It's too bad you just can't move your seats a foot forward but I think they are on the platform right so that's probably a no go

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
In my room the bass on the right side drops off a little based on the room Audyssey compensates but it can only do so much it's noticeable but just barely I try not to OCD with it right now because at this point I just don't see an easy fix until I'm ready to make some more purchases

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis