Where to buy 10 Ga speaker Cable and advice on setting up RBH SX-T1/R

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I will be receiving these speakers around the end of the week and want to do what I can to be ready for them!
Basically, this is the upper half of the SX-T2 (link to AH review below) with the upgrade to the reference drivers.
Audioholics review of RBH SX-T2

In this review, in the section addressing impedance and phase plots Gene says:
In my experience, I haven't measured a more benign loudspeaker load. Based on these measurements, and the high sensitivity of the design, any decent amplifier (even a rigid receiver) should be able to drive these speakers quite well.
Based on the low impedance profile of the T-1 at high frequencies, I recommend using low resistance cables (10AWG or less) to minimize potential frequency variations.
The above SX-T2 is the proper physical configuration, but the T-30LSE reviewed below gives uses the exact drivers of the SX-T1/R ("/R" = Reference drivers). The drivers are laid out in the same arrangement, however this speakers combines the upper and lower module into a single cabinet.

Audioholics review of RBH T-30LSE

The saddle point in the impedance graph lies just below 20Hz. While these speakers represent a relatively benign phase shift of +12 to -30 degrees across the entire audio band, the dip of 3 ohms centered around 90Hz and 2.5 ohms above 6kHz gives concern for driving them with amplifier of modest current output. I suggest using a beefy amp safely rated down to 4 ohms and definitely using an amplifier with a lowish output impedance to minimize frequency response variations.
I'd appreciate any comments, but here are my specific questions:
1) Source for 10 GA speaker wire. I am not interested in paying more for pretty, however, I do place a value on cables that are not stiff. So a simple, but pliable 10 GA speaker cable is what I am after.
2) I'm not sure what "an amplifier with a lowish output impedance" is! Does that mean an amplifier capable of lowish output impedance or something else?
3) Ideally, I would like to use a Niles SI-2150 (specifications listed under "Product Highlights" in Crutchfield link below). Any concerns here?

Niles SI-2150 specs via Crutchfield

4) IIRC, these weigh in just under 100 pounds. Any recommendations on speaker stands?
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Bluejeans offers Belden 5T00UP for $1.16/ft. It is still not so easy to flex, but a little more pliable than most 10AWG. It looks weird though because it is just lightly sleeved, as in you can actually see the twist.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Bluejeans offers Belden 5T00UP for $1.16/ft. It is still not so easy to flex, but a little more pliable than most 10AWG. It looks weird though because it is just lightly sleeved, as in you can actually see the twist.

This is the stuff I use, with the white jacket.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve owned the SX-T1/R (part of the SX-T2/R towers) for a few years now. The only cables I’ve used are 12G, not 10G.

As for amps, I’m using the ATI AT2005, but I’ve also used just the Denon X-3100 and AVR-3312 (without ext amps).

They are very sensitive and get very loud with just the AVR, so the Niles ext amp should do great.

As for stands, I would put the 70-pound SX-T1/R atop (dual) Subwoofers (similar to how my T1s sit atop my 1010 subs). :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I’ve owned the SX-T1/R (part of the SX-T2/R towers) for a few years now. The only cables I’ve used are 12G, not 10G.
No wonder you couldn't hear the difference bi-wiring makes. :rolleyes:

Edit: 14/4 gets you 2 11ga legs and is flexible ... and it totally smokes 12 ga in tonality. Duh. Sheesh. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No wonder you couldn't hear the difference bi-wiring makes. :rolleyes:

Edit: 14/4 gets you 2 11ga legs and is flexible ... and it totally smokes 12 ga in tonality. Duh. Sheesh. :D
Oh shoot. This is embarrassing. My speakers cables are Kimber Kable 8PR.

For some reasons I thought the Kimber 8PR was 12G, but it’s actually 10G. :oops:

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
You can get Monoprice 12AWG -4 Conductor cable and twist each color together and you obtain the equivalent of a 9 Ga wire at a cheap price: $74.99 for 100 feet:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2817

This is oxygen free copper and that's all we need. This brand of wire is as good as anything on the market and this is what I use.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
You can get Monoprice 12AWG -4 Conductor cable and twist each color together and you obtain the equivalent of a 9 Ga wire.
Kurt doesn't need 9 ga at the expense of expense and stiffness. The 14/4 deal about maxes out some of my banana plugs as well. Only crazy people need 10 ga and down. My wire goes to ... eleven. :D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
IMO, stiffness is not an important factor for speaker cables as they are not to be routed or moved around in normal use. I am using 12/4 cable between amplifiers and my three subs. I don't see the problem some are complaining about.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Kurt I think you should get multiple cables and since you have a coupla AHers not too far, conduct a little audibility test for us ! :)

Oh and congrats on the new toys! You selling anything good to make room for them or just find other uses like I do?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So, those bad boys still boxed up or have you gotten a chance to open them up? :D

I'm sure we're all anxious to see your review of them. ;)

And pictures! :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Kurt I think you should get multiple cables and since you have a coupla AHers not too far, conduct a little audibility test for us ! :)

Oh and congrats on the new toys! You selling anything good to make room for them or just find other uses like I do?
So, those bad boys still boxed up or have you gotten a chance to open them up? :D

I'm sure we're all anxious to see your review of them. ;)

And pictures! :D
I'm hoping to get to this soon, but know it won't be too soon!
I've unboxed one and hooked it up... it sounds great, but certainly I expected that. The real test is how it compares to some other great sounding speakers.

C

CoryW

Audioholic
I will be receiving these speakers around the end of the week and want to do what I can to be ready for them!
Basically, this is the upper half of the SX-T2 (link to AH review below) with the upgrade to the reference drivers.
Audioholics review of RBH SX-T2

In this review, in the section addressing impedance and phase plots Gene says:

The above SX-T2 is the proper physical configuration, but the T-30LSE reviewed below gives uses the exact drivers of the SX-T1/R ("/R" = Reference drivers). The drivers are laid out in the same arrangement, however this speakers combines the upper and lower module into a single cabinet.

Audioholics review of RBH T-30LSE

I'd appreciate any comments, but here are my specific questions:
1) Source for 10 GA speaker wire. I am not interested in paying more for pretty, however, I do place a value on cables that are not stiff. So a simple, but pliable 10 GA speaker cable is what I am after.
2) I'm not sure what "an amplifier with a lowish output impedance" is! Does that mean an amplifier capable of lowish output impedance or something else?
3) Ideally, I would like to use a Niles SI-2150 (specifications listed under "Product Highlights" in Crutchfield link below). Any concerns here?

Niles SI-2150 specs via Crutchfield

4) IIRC, these weigh in just under 100 pounds. Any recommendations on speaker stands?
Thanks for your help!
I own the reference version of the towers. I’m using 10g wire for the entire system. I’m driving the subA with the excellent RNH SA-400 amps. Wow do they push the current. The upper portions are driven with the Pioneer flagship receiver VSX-59TXI that’s pushing well over 200 wpc in 4ohm. I am using the hardware from RBH that joins both sections. I purchased very heavy 1/4” steel out rigger brackets from RBH. The towers are near impossible to move. I have also used a very powerful Crown amp to drives the subs with great results.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis