New Panasonic UHD Blu-ray Player - the Next Oppo?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Panasonic’s DP-UB9000 Ultra HD Blu-ray player will sell for €1,000 when it hits European shelves this October. Packed with cutting-edge video technologies, the new flagship player hopes to fill the high-performance void left by the late Oppo Digital players. But will the DP-UB9000 reach American shores, or will it remain as elusive as Panasonic’s OLED TVs?

panasonic.jpg

Read: Panasonic Shows Off New Flagship UHD Blu-ray Player

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Since it does not support stereo or multi channel SACD the Panasonic is a non-starter for me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Audio people are the minority, so while this one doesn't fill the whole gap, someone will almost certainly fill it.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
What about the Cambridge CXUHD; doesn't that one fill the gap ?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
What about the Cambridge CXUHD; doesn't that one fill the gap ?
IIRC, the Cambridge Audio has OPPO internals, so they will have to eventually source from another OEM. The CXUHD ticks all of the boxes for me except no analog outs - but that is just me being in a (preferred) 2.1 set up where I like my disc player to perform its own DA conversion. ;)

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
Great write up! Very thorough and accurate. Just wanted to add the UPP for the USA is $999.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
IIRC, the Cambridge Audio has OPPO internals, so they will have to eventually source from another OEM. The CXUHD ticks all of the boxes for me except no analog outs - but that is just me being in a (preferred) 2.1 set up where I like my disc player to perform its own DA conversion. ;)
Not ALL of the Cambridge units used Oppo as OEM. What would be cool is if Oppo continued to OEM to other companies like that...hint hint

L

Lil klipsch

Junior Audioholic
What is the best 4k bluray player I can currently purchase?

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
Launching week of July 23rd ^ is Panasonic's new UB820 for $499.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I appreciate the unit's multi-channel output. It seems I could download multi-channel DSD audio and burn a DVD which the Panasonic would play, is that right?

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
@Lil, not sure if the UB820 is better in regard to image or audio performance, but the features are much richer. e.g. the UB820 is Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10+ capable and has AI Voice Control, (Firmware update this fall).

Nothing official, but I would think the UB900 will be discontinued later this year.

@sterling, I would say yes, but I have not personally tested DSD on a DVD.

My engineering production UB9000 is in transit to me and I should receive it this Wednesday! :)

Hope to see many Audioholics.com members stop by for a personal audition!

L

Lil klipsch

Junior Audioholic
Do you believe there equals, and to get get the best audio from movies should I use 7.1 analog or the hdmi audio out? Thank you. I'm still in audio quality training. Even though I have been a audioholic for years .

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
If your audio receiver accepts analog audio inputs they should perform better than HDMI audio.

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
Received my UB9000 engineering production unit.

Very nice back-lit remote control.

The UB9000 has exceptional build quality.

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
Here's a pic of the HDMI set-up mens for the HDMI output that is marked for "audio only". As you can see it's configurable to your system's needs.

Here's a few more pic from various user menus. This new advanced technology BD player/streamer is very technical and is best purchased from a speciality dealer who can support all of the advanced features so the enthusiast user gets all of the value and benefit this player can deliver when set-up properly for each a/v system.

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
Panasonics' UB9000 has 7.1 RCA Analog audio outputs and of course, HDMI video and audio and another HDMI audio only output.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis