D

dafirst

Junior Audioholic
Hello fellas, I pray everyone is doing wonderful. I have added a projector to my setup and bought an Hdmi 4k splitter. My Media center plays 4k. When i set my resolution to 4k on my media player and directly wired to my LG 3D 4K oled 55" Tv, images. But if i do that via the splitter, my TV screen goes blank and tell me to check my input. When i go back to my media player to set the resolution to 1080, then both Tv and projector works fine. These are the HDMI splitters i bought
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8PFCZV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=

https://www.adorama.com/kphd201x24k.html
Can anyone help?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Ever heard of EDID? You have just seen first-hand what it does when the resolution of the TVs isn't the same. Try using the Kanex piece and play with the EDID selector.

D

dafirst

Junior Audioholic
I switched the EDID back & forth but there was no picture showing .

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You will want to check the outputs that the splitter is connected to. Typically, output 1 is where the EDID is pulled from. If connected ONLY to the TV, does the splitter ever work? You may want to double check your cables to ensure that they all are working fine with 4K content as that runs at a much higher data rate then 1080p does and is prone to having issues.

You really want EDID to pass through the splitter if at all possible and the connected media center should adjust output resolution on the fly to 'best available' if at all possible.

There is no obvious reason why a single connected display, through that Kanex Pro unit shouldn't work if the projector is unplugged from the splitter. It does appear to meet HDMI 2.0 specifications with HDCP compliance, so that's much better than the first splitter you linked which almost definitely is NOT HDMI 2.0 compliant.

I would try the splitter without the projector, and see if you are able to get an image on screen with the Kanex Pro unit. It would bug me if that didn't deliver a solid image.

Contact the manufacturer if there is no luck at that point.

You may also want to try both HDMI cables that are used to ensure that both cables are properly passing 4K resolution through the system. A shame if it is just a cabling issue. Passing 1080p does not mean that the cable can support 4K.

highfigh

highfigh

Hello fellas, I pray everyone is doing wonderful. I have added a projector to my setup and bought an Hdmi 4k splitter. My Media center plays 4k. When i set my resolution to 4k on my media player and directly wired to my LG 3D 4K oled 55" Tv, images. But if i do that via the splitter, my TV screen goes blank and tell me to check my input. When i go back to my media player to set the resolution to 1080, then both Tv and projector works fine. These are the HDMI splitters i bought
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8PFCZV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=

https://www.adorama.com/kphd201x24k.html
Can anyone help?
I didn't see anything about the cables you're using- if they're older Redmere, they probably won't work for 4K. I had a Key Digital cable stop working and I'm not even passing 4K to the projector, the BD player doesn't produce it and the AVR is set for 1080p. Is the TV connected directly to the media center, or do you have an AV receiver, too (or, is the AV receiver what you're calling 'Media Center')?

If the cables are older, the resolution may need to be decreased- I recently ran into this with a Sony BD player and an older system. Had to decrease the resolution of the BD player's output to 1080p in order to get any video- audio worked, though. Unfortunately, the homeowner ran his own cables and used a coupler in a place where it's not possible to go and I'm not sure it will be easy/possible to replace the HDMI at all.

D

dafirst

Junior Audioholic
You will want to check the outputs that the splitter is connected to. Typically, output 1 is where the EDID is pulled from. If connected ONLY to the TV, does the splitter ever work? You may want to double check your cables to ensure that they all are working fine with 4K content as that runs at a much higher data rate then 1080p does and is prone to having issues.

You really want EDID to pass through the splitter if at all possible and the connected media center should adjust output resolution on the fly to 'best available' if at all possible.

There is no obvious reason why a single connected display, through that Kanex Pro unit shouldn't work if the projector is unplugged from the splitter. It does appear to meet HDMI 2.0 specifications with HDCP compliance, so that's much better than the first splitter you linked which almost definitely is NOT HDMI 2.0 compliant.

I would try the splitter without the projector, and see if you are able to get an image on screen with the Kanex Pro unit. It would bug me if that didn't deliver a solid image.

Contact the manufacturer if there is no luck at that point.

You may also want to try both HDMI cables that are used to ensure that both cables are properly passing 4K resolution through the system. A shame if it is just a cabling issue. Passing 1080p does not mean that the cable can support 4K.
Thank you very much

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
EDID isn't the only thing that's causing you an issue. Most splitters require both displays to have the same resolution, refresh rate, color depth, etc.

This should work better, but is expensive.
I also need a splitter because my AV8801 doesn't meet HDMI 2.0. If I can get a good 4K HDMI 2.0 splitter than I can connect the PS4 video directly to the 4K smart TV and the 2nd output port of the splitter to the AVR for audio. I am using the HDMI ARC but the audio is limited to PLX. Even if I use the optical out I still won't get DDTHD/DTS-MSTR MA etc.

The one you linked is too expensive, I really don't want to spend more than $50 on a 1 in 2 out splitter.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I also need a splitter because my AV8801 doesn't meet HDMI 2.0. If I can get a good 4K HDMI 2.0 splitter than I can connect the PS4 video directly to the 4K smart TV and the 2nd output port of the splitter to the AVR for audio. I am using the HDMI ARC but the audio is limited to PLX. Even if I use the optical out I still won't get DDTHD/DTS-MSTR MA etc.

The one you linked is too expensive, I really don't want to spend more than $50 on a 1 in 2 out splitter.
I get that for sure. From what I understand most of the ones out there don't do EDID management when there are different resolutions. The one I linked is one that supposedly will do both of those things very well. I'd love to know if there is an alternative since I'm in the same situation with my office setup.

highfigh

highfigh

Not to beat the drum of my hatred of HDMI too loudly, but there's also HDCP that needs to be dealt with.

Search using 'HDMI video problems due to HDCP' and if you read all of the links, it's unlikely that you'll ever be heard from again.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The annoying thing is, I spent a lot of money buying the AV8801 brand new from an authorized dealer only about 4 years ago. Never have any 4K source until recently and the stupid standard (HDCP2.2 and HDMI 2.0) changed, so now I cannot pass 4K video through it.

At the time their website information said:

"The video section features a host of video inputs, with a sophisticated video processor that provides upconversion from standard definition (SD) and high definition (HD) video to the latest Ultra High Definition (4K) format (3840x2160 pixels) for full compatibility with next generation Ultra High Definition (4K) displays."

I wonder why there is no class law suit?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
...At the time...
Key words right there.

At the time, they met the standard. Now is not that time, and standards change constantly. As we continue to push for greater bandwidth, we will likely see a 54Gb/s solution which will then be the next standard.

HDMI 1.4a, as included on that receiver, is only rated to 10.2Gb/s and has the previous version of HDCP as a part of the specification. So, it runs into the bandwidth limitation as well as copyright limitation that so many can experience. But, that's the way technology works, and A/V has been doing this for years.

What lawsuit could there be when they were using the latest and greatest of the time?

Most players today, which can utlize HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, are supposed to be compatible with older products on their own. They should recognize the lower HDMI/HDCP and pass video through meeting those specifications. But, this may not be followed by all manufacturers, which is where a potential lawsuit could arise from.

Frankly, HDMI has a long list of screwups as part of their mantra it seems. In simple systems, it tends to work just fine, but as we grow more complex you just get more and more convoluted trying to work around their mistakes in initial design.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Key words right there.

At the time, they met the standard. Now is not that time, and standards change constantly. As we continue to push for greater bandwidth, we will likely see a 54Gb/s solution which will then be the next standard.

HDMI 1.4a, as included on that receiver, is only rated to 10.2Gb/s and has the previous version of HDCP as a part of the specification. So, it runs into the bandwidth limitation as well as copyright limitation that so many can experience. But, that's the way technology works, and A/V has been doing this for years.

What lawsuit could there be when they were using the latest and greatest of the time?

Most players today, which can utlize HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, are supposed to be compatible with older products on their own. They should recognize the lower HDMI/HDCP and pass video through meeting those specifications. But, this may not be followed by all manufacturers, which is where a potential lawsuit could arise from.

Frankly, HDMI has a long list of screwups as part of their mantra it seems. In simple systems, it tends to work just fine, but as we grow more complex you just get more and more convoluted trying to work around their mistakes in initial design.
I know, the question was asked out of frustration that I got caught at the time when there was hardly any 4K contents to take advantage of the advertised feature. It should be reasonably to expect such new feature could be put to use for some time before the next standard is out. In this case, I doubt there are too many, if any 4K disks that were playable by a 4K BDP (at the time) player connected to a so called 4K AVR (again, at the time).

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I know, the question was asked out of frustration that I got caught at the time when there was hardly any 4K contents to take advantage of the advertised feature. It should be reasonably to expect such new feature could be put to use for some time before the next standard is out. In this case, I doubt there are too many, if any 4K disks that were playable by a 4K BDP (at the time) player connected to a so called 4K AVR (again, at the time).
Oh yeah, for sure. It's a big screw-you to consumers. The best possible option is that there exists quite a few HDCP 2.2 to 1.4 converters on the market. This should allow you to pass up to 10.2Gb/s content through your receiver just fine. This may include UHD Blu-ray discs.

Unfortunately, it's not a road that I've gone down yet, and I will sit in my 1080p world for years to come quite comfortably.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh yeah, for sure. It's a big screw-you to consumers. The best possible option is that there exists quite a few HDCP 2.2 to 1.4 converters on the market. This should allow you to pass up to 10.2Gb/s content through your receiver just fine. This may include UHD Blu-ray discs.

Unfortunately, it's not a road that I've gone down yet, and I will sit in my 1080p world for years to come quite comfortably.
Yeah, I was looking into that option and suggested that to someone from the UK asking about something similar on the other thread below. He must have googled it and found one for 37 British pounds.

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/problem-with-4k-content-through-receiver.110660/#post-1236545

I'll probably try a cheap one and see how/if that works. Regardless, I am quite happy with 1080p also, and don't see too much of a difference between that and 4K, at least on smaller TV such as the 60 to 70 inches sets.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis