Ridgid lifetime battery replacement (Home Depot)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
As far as I can tell, Ridgid cordless tools is really Ryobi's premium line (as Lexus is Toyota's premium line).
I don't know if it is a temporary offer or not, but if you go to the Ridgid website and register your tools within 90 days of purchase, you get a lifetime warranty that includes batteries.
As someone who has gone through three to four generations of cordless tools, this is a huge deal - I take good care of my stuff and after ~6 years end up having to replace a perfectly good drill, reciprocating, or circular saw because it makes more sense to buy a new kit than to buy replacement batteries.
I started out buying high quality tools like Bosch, Makita, and Dewalt, but eventually settled for Hitachi and Ryobi after realizing that these tools only needed to last as long as their battery (I'm a homeowner, not a contractor).

Furthermore, through 1/24/18, if you buy this kit:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Gen5X-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-Hammer-Drill-and-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-with-2-4-0Ah-Batteries-R9205/206127587

you get you choice of one additional tool free (which includes the 6.5" circular saw, reciprocating saw, boom box, or spare batteries) as indicated just below the price in the link above.

Alternately, you can buy the $500 kit and get to choose two additional tools:

All in all this seems like a great way to go and I'm thinking about going all in with the $500 kit,
but hoping to have some discussion here before I commit!

Comments/thoughts?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Let me talk you out of anything but Dewalt for cordless. Buy used 18 volt nicad stuff from CL and pawn shops. If you keep it to that one battery style, the tools are cheap. I've had this one cordless drill longer than I've been sober (f^%&ing forever).

The new lithium ion tools are really expensive but it's top shelf stuff that companies paying a premium for labour are wise to provide. More later .... starving.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The vacuum I had with that 18 volt nicad also lasted until just last summer. It too was acquired back when I was perfecting my drinking (pre-2004). Somewhere along the line I found a circular saw with a 6 1/2" blade and a top notch jig saw ... and a sawz-all. I lost the flashlight though. The batteries go on sale every so often for like 2 for $130.

My friend, Eddie of the deck, use to buy cheap cordless drills. He would probably get one a year or so. I got him a drill, an impact and a couple of batteries off CL a few years ago and that's the end of getting a sh!t $50 drills at Harbor Freight for probably 3 or 4 years now.

With drills and impacts it's all about the rpm and maybe bpm. The Dewalts have the highest #'s making it work better which in turn means you don't have to push as hard. The batteries always have the year stamped on them and, like you said, last not much more than 5 years.

For $500 you deserve better than Rigobi.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I switched to ryobi a few yrs back and have no complaints. I was very skeptical with the cost. Batteries are cheap, tools are cheap, buy one get one deals are fairly common. The biggest issue I've noticed with any power tool is a cheap bit or blade greatly reduces performance, which is why I went ryobi, it left more money available to invest in better blades and bits. Most recent purchase was the impact kit with 2 batteries and charger for $90. Of course it doesn't hold up to dewalt but I do have a growing collection of tools and an arsenal of batteries at a fraction of the price and not 1 has failed me yet.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Let me talk you out of anything but Dewalt for cordless. Buy used 18 volt nicad stuff from CL and pawn shops. If you keep it to that one battery style, the tools are cheap. I've had this one cordless drill longer than I've been sober (f^%&ing forever).

The new lithium ion tools are really expensive but it's top shelf stuff that companies paying a premium for labour are wise to provide. More later .... starving.
I'll be starting my sixth year with a two driver DeWalt set. I've built and taken down 2 decks with them among who knows how many other projects and I do not notice a change in battery life even. And yeah, the Li-ion batteries and new brushless motors are all the rage. They're lighter, cooler operation, and have more power.

I guess if you just need a drill for the occasional project, then this warranty makes sense with a lower overall cost.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I purchased a nice Makita drill that came with 2 batteries last year. It was the first "nice" power-tool I have purchased. I think I have used it 3 times now for a total time of 87 seconds.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm happy with my Ryobi gear. But, yeah, I use it maybe once a week for maybe 30 minutes a week. Does what I need on the cheap.

But, if I were using it all day every day, I would go DeWalt for sure.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I bought two Makita drill/drivers in '87 and other than voluntarily replacing one chuck with keyless (so I could change drill bits more easily and use the other as a driver) and one gear (because I dropped it from about 6'), I have only changed the batteries.

BEWARE of Batteries Plus stick batteries for Makita- the OEM batteries have a thermal switch inside, which prevents overcharging and heat buildup. The one time I bought from Batteries Plus, it melted the plastic shell and fused it to the charger- they wouldn't do anything other than refund for the battery.

My other drills are 18V Milwaukee NiCd hammer drills, which I bought in 2005. I knew a design engineer at Milwaukee Electric Tool and he got me a kit with two batteries, the drill, charger and case. He had a battery from his drill, so he included that. I was drilling through a concrete wall that didn't want to be drilled through and melted the plastic around the brushes in '05 and that was covered. The carbide inserts in the chuck were damaged by me not making sure some drills were held tight and they chipped- I went to their repair center to look into a replacement and found that it was $75, so I turned to leave and saw shelves of the slightly newer version of the same drill, batteries, cases and chargers that were being clearanced after Lowe's decided to stop carrying their brand when the economy tanked. Bought another drill and the new charger and passed on the batteries ($15 each- DOH!). I have done nothing to the new hammer drill, other than use it and drop it from the top of a 12' A-frame ladder onto concrete. That bent the bit holder, but did nothing to the drill. I have bought two sets of replacement batteries and the last time, they were just the battery cells, without the shell- a lot cheaper and they work great. I use them for drilling through concrete with bits up to 1", wood with all kinds of bits including the self-feeding bits up to 2-9/16".

Power tools is an area where people can be very set in their ways.

One thing I would check into- Rigid LiIon batteries and chargers- I know a SnapOn driver who lost his garage, SnapOn truck and most of its contents, a pickup truck, the other contents of the garage and heavy smoke damage to the Alpha Romeo he inherited from his father- he had left a Rigid battery in the charger and now, he has a concrete pad to park on. I don't know anything more about it WRT the battery's age, condition, etc. Milwaukee had a recall due to similar problems, so it's possible they had a bad run. It's too bad- their tools are very good.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Never enjoyed dewalt tools much. Really uncomfortable and didn’t seem to last any longer than anything else for the price. I went through more than a few older ryobis and rigids. Kept burning out the variable triggers. Bought a little makita 18v about 4 years ago. Best drill I’ve ever owned. It grew legs on Halloween night so I bought a new rigid combo mostly due to the warranty. Batteries are just too damn expensive and at least one of the two will die prematurely I will bet. Anyways, I’d go with the rigid set, especially with the warranty. IMO the makita is slightly better overall but if you’re not pounding on them every day you don’t need brushless and all that. Kinda like buying snap-on(professional mechanic)vs craftsman.(shade tree mechanic)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have the lithium ryobi tools and they are great. I use them a lot and no issues. Got them for good deals or I wouldn't have bought them. Have two large batteries and two small ones. Very nice that you can charge a battery and not use it for a year and it still has it's charge.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I bought two Makita drill/drivers in '87 and other than voluntarily replacing one chuck with keyless (so I could change drill bits more easily and use the other as a driver) and one gear (because I dropped it from about 6'), I have only changed the batteries.

BEWARE of Batteries Plus stick batteries for Makita- the OEM batteries have a thermal switch inside, which prevents overcharging and heat buildup. The one time I bought from Batteries Plus, it melted the plastic shell and fused it to the charger- they wouldn't do anything other than refund for the battery.

My other drills are 18V Milwaukee NiCd hammer drills, which I bought in 2005. I knew a design engineer at Milwaukee Electric Tool and he got me a kit with two batteries, the drill, charger and case. He had a battery from his drill, so he included that. I was drilling through a concrete wall that didn't want to be drilled through and melted the plastic around the brushes in '05 and that was covered. The carbide inserts in the chuck were damaged by me not making sure some drills were held tight and they chipped- I went to their repair center to look into a replacement and found that it was $75, so I turned to leave and saw shelves of the slightly newer version of the same drill, batteries, cases and chargers that were being clearanced after Lowe's decided to stop carrying their brand when the economy tanked. Bought another drill and the new charger and passed on the batteries ($15 each- DOH!). I have done nothing to the new hammer drill, other than use it and drop it from the top of a 12' A-frame ladder onto concrete. That bent the bit holder, but did nothing to the drill. I have bought two sets of replacement batteries and the last time, they were just the battery cells, without the shell- a lot cheaper and they work great. I use them for drilling through concrete with bits up to 1", wood with all kinds of bits including the self-feeding bits up to 2-9/16".

Power tools is an area where people can be very set in their ways.

One thing I would check into- Rigid LiIon batteries and chargers- I know a SnapOn driver who lost his garage, SnapOn truck and most of its contents, a pickup truck, the other contents of the garage and heavy smoke damage to the Alpha Romeo he inherited from his father- he had left a Rigid battery in the charger and now, he has a concrete pad to park on. I don't know anything more about it WRT the battery's age, condition, etc. Milwaukee had a recall due to similar problems, so it's possible they had a bad run. It's too bad- their tools are very good.
If you still have the older Milwaukee tools (before they sold out to ITT tools...I believe it was), hold on to them! Short of buying a Hilti, I don't think you can find more durable!

The batteries and the electronics have gotten more advanced, but the mechanics have been falling off as manufacturers seek out the optimal balance of price/durability in the increasingly disposable attitude of our society.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
For $500 you deserve better than Rigobi.
I like "Rigobi"! That is a good reminder that it is not really RIDGID (who I know for plumbing tools and what is probably the best gear for cutting threads)!
Yeah, after I started looking more, $500 is not a good deal. I think they factored in the 2 extra tools into the $500 price so you are overpaying for the 5 tool set.
I'm not worried about the latest technology, my old tools always did the job quite fine! Ryogid is now pushing their new Gen5 line and if I go with Rigobi, my option would be this $269 kit:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Cordless-Lithium-Ion-5-Tool-Combo-Kit-w-Drill-Impact-Driver-Circular-Saw-Reciprocating-Saw-Light-R9623N/300146409

Same tools without the 2 free bonus tools and still has lifetime replacement/repair warranty.

But the posts here have made me reflect on the higher quality tools (Bosch and Makita) I still have and whether I should just buy new batteries (since I still have them and they are solid tools). My 24V Bosch drill was manufactured in Switzerland!
I bet I cannot find as durable of a cordless drill any more. Milwaukee went downhill when they sold to ITT.
Bosch or Makita may be better or worse than DeWalt. I am of the opinion that they are all good quality "prosumer" tools, and the older they are, the more emphasis on "pro" and less emphasis on "sumer"!
The new stuff is lighter and the electronics have certainly advanced, but the older tools were "over-built" with hardened metal gears instead of powdered metal gears and metal housings instead of plastic, etc.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I'll be starting my sixth year with a two driver DeWalt set. I've built and taken down 2 decks with them among who knows how many other projects and I do not notice a change in battery life even. And yeah, the Li-ion batteries and new brushless motors are all the rage. They're lighter, cooler operation, and have more power.

I guess if you just need a drill for the occasional project, then this warranty makes sense with a lower overall cost.
CR rated that brushless as the best and comes with two 5Ah battery. A bit high on the price for me. My Makita 18V is serving me well enough.

highfigh

highfigh

If you still have the older Milwaukee tools (before they sold out to ITT tools...I believe it was), hold on to them! Short of buying a Hilti, I don't think you can find more durable!

The batteries and the electronics have gotten more advanced, but the mechanics have been falling off as manufacturers seek out the optimal balance of price/durability in the increasingly disposable attitude of our society.
Oddly enough, people here like DeWalt, but Milwaukee and DeWalt are both part of that corporation. The Milwaukee Tool HQ just went through a big addition- new design building with parking below- it looks completely different from the rest of the plant, which makes me think they'll replace or renovate the exterior. They added tens of thousands of square feet and lots of engineers/other staff.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oddly enough, people here like DeWalt, but Milwaukee and DeWalt are both part of that corporation. The Milwaukee Tool HQ just went through a big addition- new design building with parking below- it looks completely different from the rest of the plant, which makes me think they'll replace or renovate the exterior. They added tens of thousands of square feet and lots of engineers/other staff.
Interesting. Didn’t know they were connected. It’s nice to hear about a company adding employees rather than downsizing and firing a third of them for no reason. Oh, except maybe the ceo needs a new plane, or a Vette or Ferrari or whatever else.

highfigh

highfigh

Still have? Darn right- I use the newer hammer drill regularly, but the original only if I need two at the same time. Some people don't like these because, admittedly, they are heavy but that may keep someone from stealing them. I worked with someone who needed to use it and as soon as he picked it up, he whined about its weight. Flippin' weenie! I HATE the disposable attitude! That's the reason I still have my Makitas and even with being dropped, the Milwaukee drills- I have never had a problem with the second one and I haven't been nice to it. I use it as soon as I take it out of my van during Winter, they get hot during Summer and I abuse the batteries but they're not going anywhere, even though LiIon are lighter and the 28V are more powerful.

As an aside, the day I went to pick up the first hammer drill, I had some time to kill before my friend came out and I saw two 2x12s leaning against the building, next to the door. I was close enough to count the holes- a total of 72 and they looked like the same size as my 2-9/16" self-feed bit. I asked if they were from the new 28V model and he confirmed that- they were bored with one battery. OTOH, the first day I used mine on a job, it was about 25 degrees F, we had no heat and it was for a pre-wire with lots of holes with the self-feed bit. One battery, all day. When we returned to the office, the other guys walked into the President's office and told them they wanted 18V drill kits. They were using the 14V model, but that had no guts compared with the 18V.

highfigh

highfigh

Interesting. Didn’t know they were connected. It’s nice to hear about a company adding employees rather than downsizing and firing a third of them for no reason. Oh, except maybe the ceo needs a new plane, or a Vette or Ferrari or whatever else.
I think they may have closed a plant in Mississippi, or somewhere in the South- not sure if that's accurate but it's good to see hiring up here. They seem to use MSOE students a lot, though.

highfigh

highfigh

But the posts here have made me reflect on the higher quality tools (Bosch and Makita) I still have and whether I should just buy new batteries (since I still have them and they are solid tools). My 24V Bosch drill was manufactured in Switzerland!
I bet I cannot find as durable of a cordless drill any more. Milwaukee went downhill when they sold to ITT.
Bosch or Makita may be better or worse than DeWalt. I am of the opinion that they are all good quality "prosumer" tools, and the older they are, the more emphasis on "pro" and less emphasis on "sumer"!
The new stuff is lighter and the electronics have certainly advanced, but the older tools were "over-built" with hardened metal gears instead of powdered metal gears and metal housings instead of plastic, etc.
One thing that has changed is the "Sure, we'll cover anything" mind-set of manufacturers because it has cost them a lot of money over the decades. The batteries can even tell them if they have been abused, over-charged, undercharged and over-heated. Overbuilt vs good enough is a battle, for sure- the one ensures that people will keep buying them and the other makes sure they're good enough for most weekend warriors, but the trades will probably hate them. I see a lot of Milwaukee and Makita battery-powered tools, with a good amount of DeWalt, some Rigid and not much Ryobi.

WRT Bosch, I don't remember the last time I saw someone something other than their jig saw- those are as close to a standard as I have seen. I see their job site table saw fairly often, as well as their routers and laminate trimmers. The Rigid job site saw is good, too.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
CR rated that brushless as the best and comes with two 5Ah battery. A bit high on the price for me. My Makita 18V is serving me well enough.
I think my dad has an 18v Makita set that he's had longer than I've had the Dewalts. But yeah, I think I'll be tempted by brushless if and when these ever die!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
My friend, Eddie of the deck, use to buy cheap cordless drills. He would probably get one a year or so. I got him a drill, an impact and a couple of batteries off CL a few years ago and that's the end of getting a sh!t $50 drills at Harbor Freight for probably 3 or 4 years now.
You probably have too much of a life to make it through this, but I get a kick out of this guy. Least Eddie think HF has turned a corner with their Hercules product, you can share this with him.

On the other hand, this one seems the rare gem in the dung heap:
It looks like the ergonomics would suck if you had to use it all day, but for home/farm owner use it seems very capable!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis