Ridgid lifetime battery replacement (Home Depot)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
After some deliberation and taking inventory of what I have, I decided on option #3 - Do Nothing!

When I started the thread, I thought that the lifetime warranty was a special, limited time promotion.
Now that I know this is (at least for now) a permanent strategy for Ridoby, there is not much impetus for action.
Also, my most recent Hitachi 12v drill is still showing decent battery life (I'd guess 4 years), and is in many ways a great drill - it is compact so I can use it in a tight spot and lightweight for easy control. About perfect for my purposes.
On the day I start a project that requires running a tool for hours, I will select a tool to fit that job, which might then lead me to choose a color scheme for my cordless tools.

Thanks for helping me think this through with a broad perspective!

Does anyone know what tool company Hitachi is aligned with? I know Lowe's sells some of them, but they don't seem to have the exclusive arrangement that HD does with Ryobi. But what I am asking is if they are owned by another company the way DeWalt and Porter Cable and Black & Decker are co-owned.
Hitachi is Hitachi- huge conglomerate.

IIRC, HD owns the parent company that owns Ryobi. The power tool market went through some cannibalism a while back and many old companies were gobbled up by a holding company when the economy tanked.

Check this link- they may have your batteries-

http://stores.ebay.com/G-C-Battery-Co_Hitachi_W0QQLHQ5fSellerWithStoreZ1QQLHQ5fTitleDescZ1QQ_fsubZ8177392011QQ_sasiZ1QQ_sidZ60656431QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Lol, I was hoping to allude to wine storage, but that works too!

There I would say outdoors is fine if you maintain the battery, but you really need to learn to use a clay bar. Even a new car isn't clean until it's been rubbed with clay! :cool:
I actually have a pretty famous Detailer if there is such thing as a famous Detailer. Maybe we should say very well respected around all the Auto Forums. He takes really good care of my cars.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
...back to me....

So since I have a fancy drill that I don't really use and it has two batteries, should I store these in the house? I have always just left my stuff in the garage that gets 100+ degrees in the summer so I am thinking a controlled environment would be better?

BTW, I used it yesterday for maybe 4 seconds so it has a little more time on it now.
Yeah, down in the deep south, I think your best bet is to store your batteries in a conditioned climate. I store mine in my closet.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm a big fan of my Hitachi tools after my Dewalt crapped out on me. Both the batteries and the drill itself were just not up to what I was expecting from such a respected brand. Both 18v batteries just lost their stuff over time, but not as much time as I expected.

I replaced it with a Hitachi which I have seriously enjoyed for half a decade or more now. It was getting beat up, so I bought a second one when it was on sale at Lowes for $99. That's with two L-ION batteries and a flashlight in the hard case. So, I have two perfectly functioning drills that I use in my residential installations on a fairly regular basis, and they continue to work perfectly.

Still wish batteries were cheaper, and I have no ability to use my cordless circular saw that I paid good money for... because... Dewalt.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm a big fan of my Hitachi tools after my Dewalt crapped out on me. Both the batteries and the drill itself were just not up to what I was expecting from such a respected brand. Both 18v batteries just lost their stuff over time, but not as much time as I expected.

I replaced it with a Hitachi which I have seriously enjoyed for half a decade or more now. It was getting beat up, so I bought a second one when it was on sale at Lowes for $99. That's with two L-ION batteries and a flashlight in the hard case. So, I have two perfectly functioning drills that I use in my residential installations on a fairly regular basis, and they continue to work perfectly.

Still wish batteries were cheaper, and I have no ability to use my cordless circular saw that I paid good money for... because... Dewalt.
Sell the DeWalt and buy a Hitachi circular saw. As much as you dislike the DeWalt, there's someone out there who really, really wants one/another. I decided that I wanted a battery powered circular saw, so I looked on ebay- found one that works with my NiCd batteries for $45, with a new blade.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Sell the DeWalt and buy a Hitachi circular saw. As much as you dislike the DeWalt, there's someone out there who really, really wants one/another. I decided that I wanted a battery powered circular saw, so I looked on ebay- found one that works with my NiCd batteries for $45, with a new blade.
Yeah, I plan to...
To make things more interesting, the Hitachi saw is only 60 bucks and replacement L-Ion batteries are only 40 bucks each right now. My 3+ year old Hitachi drill has batteries that seem to work just as well as the day I got them and run things fine for quite a bit of drilling through studs and joists.

I get that DeWalt has set a standard that others try to match, but even when I'm working a job with others, they always compliment the quality of the Hitachi stuff as working well and lasting a long time. Which, I take as proof enough of a good choice.

Yep, going to order that circular saw today I think. Along with a couple of extra batteries.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I am a contractor by trade and I use my tools every day. I use Milwaukee M18 Fuel which is their newest brushless line. They have all been rock solid and top performers. I have been highly impressed by the performance of my tools. I use my hammer drill, impact driver, and 7 1/4" circular saw every single day and I charge my two batteries a couple times a week. It is crazy how far battery technology has come. The suggestion earlier in this thread to buy old NiCad stuff is something I cannot recommend. Modern batteries have advanced so far beyond what was capable just 5 or so years ago that it is well worth the extra cost.

Brushless motors are another of biggest advancement in recent years. They are more efficient and more powerful and are much better protected against burning out. They can do all sorts of cool tricks with the computer controlled brushless motors too. My M18 impact driver, for example, can be set to specific torque levels and different settings for driving specific screws in to specific materials. My hammer drill has an anti kickback feature which stops the motor when a drill bit binds up to keep it from breaking your wrist, which it definitely could do. A few years ago I never thought I'd exclusively be using a cordless circular saw but the M18 Fuel 7 1/4" is a beast and I will not be going back to a cumbersome and heavy corded model. Brushless motors are more expensive and only found in the higher end tools.

A homeowner can't really go wrong with any of big brands if they don't use their tools too hard.

There is some confusion in this thread about what brands are related to what. Milwaukee and DeWalt are NOT related in any way. Milwaukee is owned by TTI which also owns Ryobi and Rigid. The different brands are run independently and it really is nothing like the Toyota/Lexus analogy. They have different engineers and different factories in different locations. They don't just take a Ryobi and beef it up and sell it as a Rigid. It is true that Ryobi is marketed towards the entry level, with Rigid toward the prosumer level and Milwaukee at the high end but they really are independently designed products.

DeWalt is owned by Stanley Black & Decker which owns a lot of different brands including Porter Cable, Mac, Bostitch, and now Craftsman.

The only truly independent major cordless tool manufacturer to my knowledge is Makita. They also make solid tools and you can't go wrong with them.

Most people buy a particular brand for one reason or another and stick with it because they don't want to carry around multiple battery types and chargers. That's one reason I went with Milwaukee. They have the largest selection of cordless tools on their M18 and M12 platform and for the most part they all perform very good to excellent.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I have rigid cordless tools for home. Dig the drill and the brad nailer. Their 7.25 corded circular saw and jig saws are pretty sweet.

Hitachi cordless drills I used professionally when their drills still had the metal keyless chucks. I got 4 years out of that in an industrial setting.

Makita, I can abide by just about anything they make. I own a corded drywall screwgun that I punished putting in up to a case of Streakers a day with for 7 of a 20 year drywall career and it still works and I changed the cord once. Anyone who has used one of these professionally would know you leave them running continuously in use. Also own a corded circ saw and it's a bad dude. Years of framing houses with that saw.

I do own an 18v Li Makita drill and it's been going about 3 years at least. One of the batteries crapped out. I upgraded the chuck to the bigger Jacobs with the carbide (IIRC) jaws.

Pardon the mess. I've been assigned (unwillingly) to developmental, design, prototyping, engineering and tooling. I have two projects going on simultaneously on this table and it gets a bit intense. The table actually gets cleaned off daily. Either way, the Makita is right there in the middle of it all. I use it to drill vent holes and drive square drive deck screws for jig blocks into this table top.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I just use a plug in drill and a manual screwdriver. Sometimes I get a really good workout with the screwing part, but I'm used to that.

That said I'm definitely tempted to go battery powered at times.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I just use a plug in drill and a manual screwdriver. Sometimes I get a really good workout with the screwing part, but I'm used to that.

That said I'm definitely tempted to go battery powered at times.
I still have my corded drills but the cords on the newer ones suck. The outer jacket rots off even without much UV exposure within a couple three years. The only cords I have that are still intact is my old W.T. Grant saw, and my older Rigid drills and porta-band. My older Makita screw gun cord is still mostly there.

On the older Makita stuff, you could shim the brushes with stuff like folded paper, like the zip seals that came on the end of drywall sheets and get another few hundred hours of use out of them.

A

Akamaister

Audiophyte
you can't be serious about buying NiCad are you ?
I have a set of Porter Cable 18v Nicad powered tools, and I keep them for one reason. This light is one of the best I have ever used.

The batteries stopped charging 5 years ago, but the charger still worked. I got replacement batteries from Amazon. Gotta say that this is the light I carry around when the electrical grid has a failure in Hawaii. That happens so often that I have other flashlights in each room. You might think that I am the Diogenes of tool collectors. My collection of work lights has led me to buy into every line of battery operated tools, from Dewalt, Festool, Milwaukee, Ryobi, Makita, B&D, Ridgid, Bosch, etc. Most of these companies make worklights, with the second best being Milwaukee. Always looking for kits that allow me to add batteries and chargers.
I needed to get into Ridgid to use their propress tool. Makita had one of the best portable vacuum cleaners. Milwaukee makes a copper tubing cutter and caulk gun. Festool (and Fein) offer the lowest vibration multitool. No single company makes the best tool in every category. Wives just do not understand a husband's thinking!

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
I bought two Makita drill/drivers in '87 and other than voluntarily replacing one chuck with keyless (so I could change drill bits more easily and use the other as a driver) and one gear (because I dropped it from about 6'), I have only changed the batteries.

BEWARE of Batteries Plus stick batteries for Makita- the OEM batteries have a thermal switch inside, which prevents overcharging and heat buildup. The one time I bought from Batteries Plus, it melted the plastic shell and fused it to the charger- they wouldn't do anything other than refund for the battery.

My other drills are 18V Milwaukee NiCd hammer drills, which I bought in 2005. I knew a design engineer at Milwaukee Electric Tool and he got me a kit with two batteries, the drill, charger and case. He had a battery from his drill, so he included that. I was drilling through a concrete wall that didn't want to be drilled through and melted the plastic around the brushes in '05 and that was covered. The carbide inserts in the chuck were damaged by me not making sure some drills were held tight and they chipped- I went to their repair center to look into a replacement and found that it was $75, so I turned to leave and saw shelves of the slightly newer version of the same drill, batteries, cases and chargers that were being clearanced after Lowe's decided to stop carrying their brand when the economy tanked. Bought another drill and the new charger and passed on the batteries ($15 each- DOH!). I have done nothing to the new hammer drill, other than use it and drop it from the top of a 12' A-frame ladder onto concrete. That bent the bit holder, but did nothing to the drill. I have bought two sets of replacement batteries and the last time, they were just the battery cells, without the shell- a lot cheaper and they work great. I use them for drilling through concrete with bits up to 1", wood with all kinds of bits including the self-feeding bits up to 2-9/16".

Power tools is an area where people can be very set in their ways.

One thing I would check into- Rigid LiIon batteries and chargers- I know a SnapOn driver who lost his garage, SnapOn truck and most of its contents, a pickup truck, the other contents of the garage and heavy smoke damage to the Alpha Romeo he inherited from his father- he had left a Rigid battery in the charger and now, he has a concrete pad to park on. I don't know anything more about it WRT the battery's age, condition, etc. Milwaukee had a recall due to similar problems, so it's possible they had a bad run. It's too bad- their tools are very good.
I've been using Milwaukee both 12 and 18 volts Lithium since they came out with them. I'll buy a kit to get extra batteries so i never run out and use the lawn tools continuously.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
My wife got me a Battery powered Rigid 10 years ago (along with a great corded Milwaukee circular saw) for my birthday over 10 years ago and it's still going strong. Of course I've had them replace both batteries (it came with 2 - one small and a larger one) and the smaller one twice in that time. Certainly a good value for us.

My youngest son can get a decent price on some Milwaukee tools, as where he works is a limited Milwaukee dealer (related mostly to HVA / Refrigeration). He bought me a cordless Jig-Saw for Christmas a couple years back, which works great. Of course it would be better if they both had the same battery, but as they were gifts, I won't complain.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Since I live in an apartment my need for power tool has been of light occasional use, but that changed when I was hanging up the acoustic panels in the home office and in the living room. Several parts of the walls are of real hard concrete with bars and my early wimpy cordless and corded drills where useless.

So I bought a cordless rotary hammer drill that has safety features like a kickback control. Before with older drills I could get a mm or two in half an hour but now a few cm in seconds.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I have a set of Porter Cable 18v Nicad powered tools, and I keep them for one reason. This light is one of the best I have ever used.

The batteries stopped charging 5 years ago, but the charger still worked. I got replacement batteries from Amazon.
Were the replacement batteries 'NiCad' ? Didn't think they were made anymore given their toxicity ?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis