M

mclmk8d

Enthusiast
I'm in the process of setting up a new system that would be 75% music (classic and contemporary rock, jazz, some classical, afro-beat (Fela) and 25% movies/streaming TV.
I'm still deciding on an AV receiver (got it down between the Yamaha Aventage RX-A770 or the Pioneer Elite VSX-LX302.
For speakers, I'm looking at a budget of $750-1500 for a pair of excellent standmount speakers; no room for floor standing; this is a narrow living room in a typical Philadelphia 1880s row house.
I'll most likely add a sub to the mix and eventually a center.
Go for it; I'm listening.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Exactly. Unless he’s gonna wall mount them or something. I thought of the GE’s right away since their only around 6” wide. Obviously the base is wider. The 590’s are narrow too, and that sale was awesome.
The JBLs are largish (I have a pair), the footprint approx 15"w x 17"d which isn't all that different from my Sierra bookshelves on stands really.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The JBLs are largish (I have a pair), the footprint approx 15"w x 17"d which isn't all that different from my Sierra bookshelves on stands really.
Wow, didn’t realize they were that wide. My older s-312’s are about 15” wide but they have 12’s. Fwiw, I’ve always wanted to try the 590’s ever since they were released.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wow, didn’t realize they were that wide. My older s-312’s are about 15” wide but they have 12’s. Fwiw, I’ve always wanted to try the 590’s ever since they were released.
The cabinet itself is about 13" wide but they have splayed feet, so depends if you remove feet or not somewhat....

M

mclmk8d

Enthusiast
I have very little floor space, just enough so that half the bottom part of a stand can get under the media cabinet

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ouch that's a tight space, can see why you're looking for stands now. That's your only placement option?

M

mclmk8d

Enthusiast
That's a possibility.
I went to magnolia today to listen to some amps and speakers
1) the pioneer Elite VSX-LX302 seemed a bit boomy out of the box; heavy bass and not balanced.
2) the Yamaha Aventage RX-A770 was better balanced.
I listened to 2 sets of speakers; not the ines I would've liked but it gave me an inkling of their siblings.
First up was the Pioneer and Martin Logan motion 15s and some choral music. Very airy and open with good dispersion; I even stood all the way to the side of one of the speakers and it still sounded great to me. He then put on Hotel California and then Michael Buble.
I then listened to B&W 685s. Nice also, but they did not have the clarity or smoothness of the M-Ls; I'm going to try to find a magnolia that had the C5Ms and Motion 35s.

M

mclmk8d

Enthusiast
Finally got to listen to the Martin Logan Motion 35XTs and the B&W 707 S2s (same price). Thoughts?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You were the one doing the listening...what would it matter what I think of your finally getting to listen to them? :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis