Sennheiser HD6XX for $199.99

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Not sure. I was only charged $200 but wasn't an early buyer
Yeah, same here. The $200 was what got me to pull the trigger.
It would suck to have paid $250 as an early buyer. I suspect that they get the discount as well, otherwise you'd have people waiting and wondering if/when the price would go down and I think the objective is to encourage as many buyers as possible!

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yeah, same here. The $200 was what got me to pull the trigger.
It would suck to have paid $250 as an early buyer. I suspect that they get the discount as well, otherwise you'd have people waiting and wondering if/when the price would go down and I think the objective is to encourage as many buyers as possible!
It should be the same price for every one who joins, no matter if you joiden before the price drop or not.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
So are these enough of an upgrade over my 15 year old HD500 to be worth the investment?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
just this weekend I received my new toy, SMSL idea dac. measures excellent and highly compact and functional from massdrop. only one issue is the volume rocker is DOA. Massdrop will be issuing a refund and it's now simply cheaper to order on amazon :(

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

So are these enough of an upgrade over my 15 year old HD500 to be worth the investment?
I see they have added another 10000 pairs for the drop.. I have never heard the HD500 but if I remember correctly HD600 came to replace HD500.. Quick googling how ever gives me impression that HD6XX should be more neutral than HD500. But only you can tell if it is realy worth the upgrade as every one prefers different things. For 200$ HD6XX how ever is really good deal imo.

just this weekend I received my new toy, SMSL idea dac. measures excellent and highly compact and functional from massdrop. only one issue is the volume rocker is DOA. Massdrop will be issuing a refund and it's now simply cheaper to order on amazon :(
Well that is manufacturers fault if product is DOA, not massdrops. How ever in my experience massdrops handles those fault cases quite well. Did you get full refund? Did you need to send the unit back or did you keep it?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I see they have added another 10000 pairs for the drop.. I have never heard the HD500 but if I remember correctly HD600 came to replace HD500.. Quick googling how ever gives me impression that HD6XX should be more neutral than HD500. But only you can tell if it is realy worth the upgrade as every one prefers different things. For 200$ HD6XX how ever is really good deal imo.

Well that is manufacturers fault if product is DOA, not massdrops. How ever in my experience massdrops handles those fault cases quite well. Did you get full refund? Did you need to send the unit back or did you keep it?
Apparently the unit was sold without any warranty. Return and refund is my only option.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Apparently the unit was sold without any warranty. Return and refund is my only option.
That's odd.. Usually items from massdrop come with warranty, might be no warranty for some items them.. But it is good you will get your money back at least.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I see they have added another 10000 pairs for the drop..
Is there another page where we can get info on when the massdrop ends or if there is another price drop and how many ordered units are required for it?

Question since you live in Europe. I admit to being slack on monitoring the news, but does this have anything to do with Brexit as far as timing (like to ship out a $hit-ton of these before tarifs are applied)?

It is a bonus that we get to help the plant in Ireland maintain jobs through these times (or I might assume that is a factor - labor is available there right now)!

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Is there another page where we can get info on when the massdrop ends or if there is another price drop and how many ordered units are required for it?

Question since you live in Europe. I admit to being slack on monitoring the news, but does this have anything to do with Brexit as far as timing (like to ship out a $hit-ton of these before tarifs are applied)?

It is a bonus that we get to help the plant in Ireland maintain jobs through these times (or I might assume that is a factor - labor is available there right now)!
Not that I'm aware of. It is quite rare that they drop the price from what is listed, some cases there is different prices listed on start for different amounts. For some really popular drops there is extended amounts like this seems to be.

Brexit shouldnt effect anything for another year and half I think.. What comes after that.. No one knows yet for sure I think as they are still going trough how things will change and to what direction.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I'm in this time. It's time for me to retire my 16 year old HD500s and give the HD6xx/HD650 a try.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks, I've been researching like crazy in anticipation of my new cans. It's funny though, before I bought my 500s everything I read was they were wonderful, a poor man's HD600. Now everything I read is they were horrible. Anyway I'm really looking forward to the HD6XX.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I know I'm kind of late, but here is a review of these phones. (I just got mine last week).
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-x-massdrop-hd6xx-review-preview-head-fi-tv.824703/
I don't have much to say other than they sound very good, but I don't have a sound memory of other headphones to compare them to.
I personally like HD600 over HD650, how ever they are quite close to each other. When I was buying my pair I compaired everything I could find at 200-450$ range and liked the HD600 best. I think they have most neutral and clean sound of all cans I compared, by clean I mean you can hear everything as clearly as it should be.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I personally like HD600 over HD650, how ever they are quite close to each other. When I was buying my pair I compaired everything I could find at 200-450$ range and liked the HD600 best. I think they have most neutral and clean sound of all cans I compared, by clean I mean you can hear everything as clearly as it should be.
Have you heard the HD598SE's?
If so, any comments on where they fall sound-wise among these?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Have you heard the HD598SE's?
If so, any comments on where they fall sound-wise among these?
I have not heard the HD598SE but I have heard the HD598, those should sound the same but SE has mic on short cable and comes in different color. HD598 is great mid price headphone that falls behind in build quality quite a lot for HD600 series and little bit in sound as well. HD598 lacks some detail and authority what HD600 series can offer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis