Sennheiser HD6XX for $199.99

Audiosaur

Audiosaur

Audioholic
I received mine tonight and tore into the packaging like it was Christmas morning.

I thought my Sennheiser 558s were good but these are far and away clearer and deeper. Very pleased!

To be honest, I much prefer open air loudspeakers and reverted to them after a few sample songs with the cans. But it's good to have quality cans if I have to resort to quiet mode.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
To be honest, I much prefer open air loudspeakers and reverted to them after a few sample songs with the cans. But it's good to have quality cans if I have to resort to quiet mode.
what do you mean? Both 558 and hd6xx are open back

Audiosaur

Audiosaur

Audioholic
You're right - I should have explained better. The 558s are my at-work phones. So at home, it's either loudspeakers or the 6xx. And while both are open back, they're still quieter than the speakers. Just ask my neighbors.:D

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Massdrop just sent me a notice that my 6xx are shipping today. That's about a week early and I'm excited. :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The 6XX come in a nice hinged box (although it is humongous!). My 598se were inside a box with cheap molded plastic to hold it in place (i.e., not really a storage option).

I decided to order some cases from Amazon to find a good one. I ended up ordering 9. Six claimed to fit the 600, or 598, or both, and three were smaller (I have some Sennheiser 202's and Philips that I would also like to be less cluttered in my headphone cabinet).

Only 3 fit the Sennheiser 598 or 6XX (they are different in design, but in the end seem to need the same space), and two of those were sloppy oversize.
Of the other three claiming to fit, one wasn't close and two could be made to fit if you flex the case and zip, but that is not very good protection id they are in compression.

This one was the best fit of the lot. The 598 or 6XX nests in it very nicely!
My reservations about it are:
1) The zippers are a bit tight as they pass over the lower corners below, so I wonder about long-term durability. It has dual zippers, so I will probably just zip to the corner on both sides and call it good.
2) It is not flat for stacking - not something I need, but always like containers that can be stacked.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CVT9FQC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thought this was the better of the oversized ones (which might be useful if you wanted to carry some type of player or mini DAC, etc in the case).
If I kept this, I would want to add some padding to keep the phones from flopping/rubbing if used for travel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CHZ61FI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Surprisingly, I did not find a good fit for the Sennheiser HD202

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I received mine and while I haven't listened long enough to go into detail, I like them a lot. :D

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
These are dropped again, only few spots left tho. Seems like these are dropped quite often and every time sell in big quantitites.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My HD6XX arrived yesterday!

It was quite a surprise, because when I joined the drop, the estimated ship date was 08/13/18. Easily 2 months ahead of schedule! I figure the demand must be so high that Senn is just cranking these things out at this point.

I did about an hour of listening last night, and I am quite pleased with these cans! I did all of my listening using FLAC files from my phone fed with 3.5mm jack to the O2 Headphone Amp.

What surprised me the most was how much my wife also enjoyed them and actually wanted to listen to them too! Her normal reaction (like with the HD598 for example) is that she will listen to a track or 2 to amuse me, then she is done. But, on these, it was "hey, let me listen to Adele. Hey, let me listen to some of my music on my phone."

So, there you go, "wife approved", and she agreed that they were easily worth the $200.

EDIT: I had been considering a purchase of the AKG K7XX to hold me over until the HD6XX arrived. Now, I'm considering the AKGs to do the direct comparison myself!

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

HD6XX are open again.. Seems like these are requested to so much that they drop these quite frequently now.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
HD6XX are open again.. Seems like these are requested to so much that they drop these quite frequently now.
I'd bet Sennheiser makes more from each pair they sell via Massdrop than each pair they sell through BestBuy!
Massdrop is essentially a way for Sennhieiser to sell Internet Direct without violating any contracts with distributors involving price controls and/or model exclusivity!

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

I bought my HD600's back in like 2005, and they'll probably be the last pair of headphones I ever purchase. I wish I could have it that easy with speakers! o_O

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I'd bet Sennheiser makes more from each pair they sell via Massdrop than each pair they sell through BestBuy!
Massdrop is essentially a way for Sennhieiser to sell Internet Direct without violating any contracts with distributors involving price controls and/or model exclusivity!
Well I don't mind getting stuff cheaper while allowing manufacturer to get more out of it. Should be that way in everything but it is not always possible.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
My guess is that you're right. Massdrop benefits because they make money while maintaining zero investment in inventory and Senn benefits because they know order size well in advance and can thus more easily schedule parts delivery and worker requirements (no OT required). They get around MAP pricing and retailers by using the Massdrop private label and part number so it's a win for consumers, a win for Senn, and not a noticeable loss in sales for retailers.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My guess is that you're right. Massdrop benefits because they make money while maintaining zero investment in inventory and Senn benefits because they know order size well in advance and can thus more easily schedule parts delivery and worker requirements (no OT required). They get around MAP pricing and retailers by using the Massdrop private label and part number so it's a win for consumers, a win for Senn, and not a noticeable loss in sales for retailers.
Agreed.

You alluded to it, but "just in time delivery" is a key component of lean manufacturing. Holding inventory costs big $! Ideally, you want your parts delivered just as you need them in manufacturing, and you want your orders out the door as soon as they come off the line.

That model really shows the power of MD and large group-buys.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

These are open again and apparently Massdrop has already sold 66542 pair of these headphones. Seems to work quite well for both sides.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

These headphones seem to be dropped almost constantly. Wondering how well HD600/HD650 sell as these go for a lot cheaper.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis