My Buddy Wants a Sound Bar

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Here is a Samsung Smart TV. If you look under connector type, it lists "RCA audio L&R", however, it does not say if it is an input or output connection.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-UN65KU6290-65-4K-Ultra-HD-60Hz-LED-Smart-HDTV-4K-x-2K/54371978?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227047339598&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=147536373358&wl4=aud-261800281660:pla-263515012261&wl5=9010753&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=54371978&wl13=&veh=sem#about-item
A model number and looking up the manual is probably needed to know for sure!
The headphone output is kind of the lowest common denominator as far as the most common connection format, but I would probably use anything else available first. I think the SQ will be fine, but most of teh 3.5mm headphone cables have flimsy fine wires!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here is a Samsung Smart TV. If you look under connector type, it lists "RCA audio L&R", however, it does not say if it is an input or output connection.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-UN65KU6290-65-4K-Ultra-HD-60Hz-LED-Smart-HDTV-4K-x-2K/54371978?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227047339598&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=147536373358&wl4=aud-261800281660:pla-263515012261&wl5=9010753&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=54371978&wl13=&veh=sem#about-item
A model number and looking up the manual is probably needed to know for sure!
The headphone output is kind of the lowest common denominator as far as the most common connection format, but I would probably use anything else available first. I think the SQ will be fine, but most of teh 3.5mm headphone cables have flimsy fine wires!
He doesn't have money for that! Getting him to spend 250 on a pair of speakers was work. lol. His tv is all digital. No analog outputs, it's one of those really slim ones. His other source is his Xbox 1. I'll look at the manual on his tv and see if there are any analog connections on it He says thereally aren't.. Mine has at least l/r outputs and rgb connections.
In reality -- this Pioneer receiver is about 128.98 shipped with the 20% discount and would be worth it.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/pionvsx530k/pioneer-vsx-530-k-5.1-ch-x-80-watts-bluetooth-a/v-receiver/1.html
I sent that link to him @zieglj01. You can't find much cheaper than that. Thanks.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, he did email Dennis and got the order going. I guess they're backed up a week on orders right now for the aa's. I have another friend I'm talking into them as well. Truth be told, I really want to hear them. My second friend lives here in the valley. I'll get to drive over and check them out.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
LOL, I wasn't proposing he buy a new TV, I was just using that one as an example thinking you had said he had a Samsung SmartTV (but I should not work off of my memory, because it sucks).

Of course the AA's will not rival your Ultras, but the thing about the AA's is the cabinet is solid, they have good drivers for the price, and Dennis gets the best out of those drivers with his crossover.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
LOL, I wasn't proposing he buy a new TV, I was just using that one as an example thinking you had said he had a Samsung SmartTV (but I should not work off of my memory, because it sucks).

Of course the AA's will not rival your Ultras, but the thing about the AA's is the cabinet is solid, they have good drivers for the price, and Dennis gets the best out of those drivers with his crossover.
I don't expect them to, but I do expect them to sound very nice with good bass. That's what I've been telling my friends. They're both on tight budgets. I told 'em they're the best speakers you can get ~$200-250.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@Pogre
Perhaps what your friend needs (as a work-around or stop-gap) is an audio extractor.

I have never used one, never needed one. So, I can't give recs or say how well they work. I have seen these discussed on AH in the past though.

If there are any problems, it would likely be related to handshakes and DRM type problems, and likely we have some AH members that can enlighten us on the topic.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about:
https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-CiNgK-Optical-Converter-Separator/dp/B01GYJ2YS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499866991&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=audio+extractor&psc=1

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
What are these aa speakers you are all talking about? If I google aa speakers I come up with guest speakers for alcoholics anonymous! :D

As for soundbars, I recently bought a Yamaha YAS-106 for my girlfriend because I couldn't convince her to go for anything better even though I'd given her my rather old Sony ES receiver. She is very happy with it for general tv and music streaming use. It's definitely a nice step up from TV speakers.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
What are these aa speakers you are all talking about? If I google aa speakers I come up with guest speakers for alcoholics anonymous! :D

As for soundbars, I recently bought a Yamaha YAS-106 for my girlfriend because I couldn't convince her to go for anything better even though I'd given her my rather old Sony ES receiver. She is very happy with it for general tv and music streaming use. It's definitely a nice step up from TV speakers.
http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks! I did have the general website bookmarked already as his speakers are quite interesting.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre
Perhaps what your friend needs (as a work-around or stop-gap) is an audio extractor.

I have never used one, never needed one. So, I can't give recs or say how well they work. I have seen these discussed on AH in the past though.

If there are any problems, it would likely be related to handshakes and DRM type problems, and likely we have some AH members that can enlighten us on the topic.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about:
https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-CiNgK-Optical-Converter-Separator/dp/B01GYJ2YS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499866991&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=audio+extractor&psc=1
That looks like it would be a good option! I'm gonna run it by him and explain.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That looks like it would be a good option! I'm gonna run it by him and explain.
I have had one of these in my system since October, 2015. Works well.
I honestly forgot I had it until now, lol!
https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Optical-Converter-VHD-H2HSAs/dp/B00KBHX072/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1499874748&sr=8-3&keywords=viewhd

10/2015 is not very current, so there may be enhanced compatibility on newer ones, though I don't think he will be on the "bleeding edge" of audio too soon!

I use mine with my roku so I have a TOSlink when playing Pandora and HDMI for videos feeds. This allows me to associate the music settings with the TOSlink input and the HT settings with the HDMI input on my AVR.

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
Even Walmart has an HDMI to RCA cable available for only $6.99. Amazon has them also. There are also HDMI to AV converters out there as well. I would do one of these before using the headphone out jack.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Even Walmart has an HDMI to RCA cable available for only $6.99. Amazon has them also. There are also HDMI to AV converters out there as well. I would do one of these before using the headphone out jack.
I just texted that to him. He's waiting on a bonus check to get the speakers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Heh. well... looks like my buddy needs a DAC. Boy, that's a fun topic.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
He needs to get his digital signal from his tv (no preouts, hdmi or toslink only) to a receiver that's analog only. Isn't that what a dac does?

*ps, actually has only toslink for audio out on his tv.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
He needs to get his digital signal from his tv (no preouts, hdmi or toslink only) to a receiver that's analog only. Isn't that what a dac does?
That would be a reasonable use of one. Analog only receiver? Wow, that's ancient! :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That would be a reasonable use of one. Analog only receiver? Wow, that's ancient! :)
I gave him my old yammy. RX V493. It's been in my garage for years. I talked him out of the sound bar and he told me that he ordered a set of aa's from Dennis just earlier today.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
He just got the notification that his aa's have been delivered. Still a couple hours to go at work. He's dying to get home.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis