AMPS: High Power Vs High Current?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Well, even if the amp can dump 31.8A rms(45A peak) 1 ch into a 1 ohm load(31.8V), that would be 1011 Watt for that channel. Don't think so. So, it seems they may be talking total amps for 5 ch.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
No, she had no clue about audio in general (her own system had crappy speakers and components but a Parasound amp). She was a pretty blond and that's why she had the position, she sold to guys at audio stores. I've just not found their gear exceptional. Lots of good amps out there. Why do you continue to put them on a pedestal without knowing why?

I make my own ice cream. :)
I don't, I just said their are a lot of great companies out there. I mentioned a bunch. I'm sure there are better amps, and products out there. Some expensive stuff out there, some not so expensive. I mentioned two of the less expensive ones like Emotiva and Outlaw audio, two companies I'm a fan of because they allow people with less money to spend to get into good audio.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Y... I'm not allowed to say clean, dynamic power anymore because I'll be asked to explain how using trigonometry and ohms law. I'll just say it has plenty of power for my taste.

I don't think there is anything that would prevent this or call for those responses.
Clean power is equal to undistorted levels below clipping that is audible. Dynamic power is just that, access power available for very short durations.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think there is anything that would prevent this or call for those responses.
Clean power is equal to undistorted levels below clipping that is audible. Dynamic power is just that, access power available for very short durations.
Something many amps provide. Clean power is like saying warm sunshine or something like that....just not meaningful.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Oh you have no idea. It happens brother, just me.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I have seen this exact post by you before and I still don't understand it. You don't like them because a girlfriend used to sell them? She had no clue about what, Parasound amps? Seems like a strange reason to not like a companies products if you ask me. I had a girlfriend that sold ice cream and had no idea how it was made but I still eat Carvel ice cream. I don't get it.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing .........like half the clowns working for Magnolia have clue when they push the 'flavor of the day AVR' ......... yeah right.

I've heard Parasound in various applications and have always been very satisfied

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL, I was thinking the same thing .........like half the clowns working for Magnolia have clue when they push the 'flavor of the day AVR' ......... yeah right.

I've heard Parasound in various applications and have always been very satisfied
LOL working for Magnolia, sorry I'm just a non-audio professional who's only been on the employer side of things since my early 20s. I've heard Parasound units many times....just not that impressive as you two make out....

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
LOL working for Magnolia, sorry I'm just a non-audio professional who's only been on the employer side of things since my early 20s. I've heard Parasound units many times....just not that impressive as you two make out....
Ok, everyone doesn't have to be impressed by everything. What amps do you like? Krell? Cary Audio? Something exotic like that? Is it something crazy expensive like McIntosh? Emotiva, Outlaw audio? I'm sure they all build and design great products.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
A couple points to consider:

- 45A peak typically means peak, not peak to peak, for sine wave you know that would be 31.8A. We can assume they did base the value on sine wave, but that's just a reasonably assumption, and we could be wrong. If you want to know exactly what they mean, then you are going to have to ask them.

- It says each channel, that does not imply all channel driven simultaneously. There is no way that 1.6kVA transformer can handle 5X31.8A rms, unless the load is 2 ohm or less. Otherwise even a 30A breaker would trip if it last any longer than a few seconds.

Such kind of specs is really more hype than practical. unless the load dips to 1 to 2 ohms, the 31.8A rms is not that useful. Even for a 4 ohm load, 4X31.8A = 127.2V. We both know that amp won't have rail voltage any where near that kind of voltage.

I consider it a truly high current amp mainly because of the 1.6 kVA transformer and 100,000 uf of capacitance, and the 5X200W into 4 ohm specs, not because of the practical value of the so called high current capability. Now that's assuming Parasound's specs for this particular amp is accurate. From what I know, there is no guarantee that their specs for every products are 100% accurate.
Hey, how was the watermelon......LOL?????? :p:p:p I ended up eating a 2nd piece and finished the last one a bit earlier. Oh man was it ever delicious! Just am curious if yours was good as well......LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry for the diversion, Phil. I need to get some watermelon ;)
Every time I look at my TV Red Lobster is advertising "Crab Fest". Might just have to go get some tomorrow. Can't wait for their "Endless Shrimp". It won't get here soon enough if you ask me.
:D:D:D

Cheers,

Phil

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I'm probably the least fan of Parasound as an old girlfriend of mine sold for them and she had absolutely no clue. Lots of good amps out there, often at better prices than theirs. It's not that big a deal, it's still just an amp.
I am not a fan of Parasound either. They don't even specify at which frequency their THD figures were measured, not even at 1KHz! But I would guess that the figures published are specifically for 1KHz. Who knows what are the real figures between 20-20KHz? That's not what I call transparency.

In contrast, most good pro audio manufacturers will publish the real figures between 20Hz and 20KHz, and provide more detailed specs.

Parasound are not the only ones to restrict spec info. Classé and Rotel are doing it and B & K have also done it. For what they are asking for their products, they should have the decency to provide more information to prospective buyers. While there are a lot of gullible audiophiles, several of us on this site know more about the audio industry scams and we have the right to insist on obtaining the real facts before spending thousands of dollars on equipment.

In my case, to complement my AVRs, I have been using pro audio amplifiers for several years and IMO, they perform very well. I have just acquired a 2 channel QSC DCA1222 Digital Cinema amp which I find really neutral and transparent. Talking about a high current amplifier, this one can drive speaker loads as low as 1.6 ohms, which means four 8 ohm speakers in parallel per channel.
A second one will be ordered this week and toward the end of next Fall, I should have three of them for bi-amping my three front channels. I already started a thread for the first unit and when I have used the three for a little while, I will post my listening impressions on the performance of the front channels.

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
So you guys go by numbers, specs, rather than your own ears? That makes no sense at all. We are talking about audio products and not baseball players ya know?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
So you guys go by numbers, specs, rather than your own ears? That makes no sense at all. We are talking about audio products and not baseball players ya know?

Been that way for many, many years..
In the old days it was the opinion of the commissoned sales person, now it is achieved by the brands with the most creative specmanship and broadest internet distribution..

Just think "How many AVR users" set up their HT system using Audyssey or some other EQ S/W thinking that all things are now optimized.. :(

Just my $0.02... ;)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Who are you talking to? It appears that you are responding to Verdinut who posted just before you.

Verdinut said:
I have just acquired a 2 channel QSC DCA1222 Digital Cinema amp which I find really neutral and transparent.
... I will post my listening impressions on the performance of the front channels.
Obviously he uses his ears and I think we all do!
But why not also use numbers and specs?
I, also, generally avoid products where the spec are not provided or are provided in a way that obscures their value. Why wouldn't they provide honest numbers unless they are worried about competition out performing them? Do you not think an engineer like John Curl used numbers to perfect his designs? Do you think he left his calculator home and tuned his circuits by ear. I hope and assume he listened to them, but you should not consider test results a source of misleading information.
You can be pretty sure that measurements known to sound bad or incapable of handling your speakers reveal an amp you don't want!

Understand that I think Parasound makes fine amps, but so do other companies that charge a lot less for them.

Right now, between the Outlaw 5000 (which, though a 5-channel amp, makes a fine stereo amp with plenty of power/current) and the Monoprice/ATI Monolith we have access to value options that don't forfeit quality!

And then there are recording/sound engineers and pro audio. Do you think they listen? What amps are they getting? If it is so critical and they are all listening to their gear, why hasn't the field been winnowed down to the products that sound good? Maybe they pretty much sound the same and the important thing to do is match numbers (power output to the intended load) so you don't end up with bad sound!

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well I'm certainly not going to trust your ears or anyone's. For all I know you are bat eared with a lousy audiogram.

Comments like yours about amplifiers are meaningless.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Something many amps provide. Clean power is like saying warm sunshine or something like that....just not meaningful.
I agree that most (almost all) amps provide clean power at their published limits, but they all get "dirty" when pushed beyond their limits.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis