AMPS: High Power Vs High Current?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It was money....and impulse and impatience to be honest ....But also with some reason. I looked at Parasound amps, namely the Halo 23+ but that, with even the most economical Parasound Pre was up towards $2,000.00. Not in my budget.
Other options were higher end integrated amps but used. But I decided against several 15 to 20 year old integrated amps thinking they would need service in the next several years. Maybe yes, maybe no but capacitors only last so long.
Then I gravitated to a new brand; Iotavx SA3 and the PA3.....great subjective reviews but only so-so bench test.

My budget was approx $1,000.00. The Nikko set has a new lease on life and the set was $795.00...totally restored and recapped. I figured I'd give it a try. The amp has 2 transformers, two separate power supply boards, 2 heat sinks, etc... I imagine if this was made today, the amp and pre would be more in the $2000.00 to $3,000.00 range. Just a guess.

If nothing else, this will be a learning experience for me.
Doubt if there's going to be much difference; I wouldn't have bothered chasing different electronics for a slight change in speaker.

I just don't remember much about Nikko except maybe for ministack systems?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Back in the 70s, Nikko's original claim to fame was making circuit breakers... Then audio component sales took off and they jumped in and made receivers, amplifiers, preamplifiers... I recall their products were of reasonable quality more positioned in mid-range price categories..

Just my $0.02... ;)

R

rifmon

Enthusiast
in answer to Pogre;

Big upgrade from the 2 to the EX. I bought a set of Sierra 1's 8 years ago and that's when I bought the HK 3490. March of 2019, I sold the Sierra 1's and bought a set of Sierra 2's. I had a chance to A/B them before I sent the Sierra 1's to the new owner and the difference was marginal. But when I upgrade the Sierra 2's to the EX in January there was a very big difference in dynamics, and huge bass extension. I do not need a subwoofer for music at all and in fact, I do not believe I'll ever want one for movies. They are remarkable. And that is with the 3490!

The Nikko was an answer to my nagging curiosity since this has been the only amp I've had since the initial Sierra 1 purchase.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
in answer to Pogre;

Big upgrade from the 2 to the EX. I bought a set of Sierra 1's 8 years ago and that's when I bought the HK 3490. March of 2019, I sold the Sierra 1's and bought a set of Sierra 2's. I had a chance to A/B them before I sent the Sierra 1's to the new owner and the difference was marginal. But when I upgrade the Sierra 2's to the EX in January there was a very big difference in dynamics, and huge bass extension. I do not need a subwoofer for music at all and in fact, I do not believe I'll ever want one for movies. They are remarkable. And that is with the 3490!

The Nikko was an answer to my nagging curiosity since this has been the only amp I've had since the initial Sierra 1 purchase.
Don't beat yourself up too bad. I've seen far more spent on impulse that didn't really offer anything more.

R

rifmon

Enthusiast
Thanks. My attitude is; ya never know. I'll hook it all up tomorrow and live with it for a week. I'll report back on this vintage gear! One thing that is admirable about these old units are that they can live with service. No DACS or processors to go out of style.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Back in the 70s, Nikko's original claim to fame was making circuit breakers... Then audio component sales took off and they jumped in and made receivers, amplifiers, preamplifiers... I recall their products were of reasonable quality more positioned in mid-range price categories..

Just my $0.02... ;)
Idk if it’s the same company(assume so), but back in the 80’s as a kid, I had some NIKKI RC vehicles. Definitely not hobby grade but fun enough.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis