My Buddy Wants a Sound Bar

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Here are a couple from his area. He's in Columbus Ohio.

Any gems or deals hidden in there? I don't know much about most of those.
For non-hdmi the Harman Kardon is a nice option

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Now there's a cheap set of speakers. I see they're powered too. Have you listened to them? Are they pretty decent?
Honestly, I have not heard them. But, for $50 it may be worth the risk. Originally, they were $300 a set! Just thought I would mention it as it looks lie a great deal to me. Best wishes to your friend.
:):):)

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Honestly, I have not heard them. But, for $50 it may be worth the risk. Originally, they were $300 a set! Just thought I would mention it as it looks lie a great deal to me. Best wishes to your friend.
:):):)

Cheers,

Phil
Seems to me that it is $50 per speaker (not per pair).

I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Sony cores I've read enough about to know they're legit. The Cambridge catches my eye. It's a nice looking speaker.

Hey, what about the Andrew Jones Pioneers? I'll Google 'em up. I seem to remember them being less than the aa's. I'm still lobbying hard for the aa's. I think he'll be pretty surprised if I can talk him into them.

*Edit: Looks like the AJ speakers are a little more actually...
With the Sony's on sale for under $150, forget the pioneers. If the Sony's were their traditional ~$220, then the Pioneers are a viable option.
But without a sub, the AA's are really the ticket. I would guess the bass of the AA's to surpass most $300 soundbar with sub packagess for extension, and accuracy won't even be close. But the Sony's won't be bad if the money is tight.
Once he get a stereo set up, talk him into using free pandora to stream music through his TV system. He should appreciate the sound of music through his system.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Agreed with Z on Denon and Pio.

Here are few more options.
https://columbus.craigslist.org/ele/6201886990.html - I'd offer 50 and agree on $75 at most
and then there are these two:
https://dayton.craigslist.org/ele/6172846083.html
https://columbus.craigslist.org/ele/6188024611.html
It selling brand new for under $200 - https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH550-5-2-Channel-Receiver/dp/B00J30GXW2
I'd offer $50 and agree on $75 at most
one more:
https://columbus.craigslist.org/ele/6184432520.html
this one was about $350 new. Given it's age $80-100 is fair price. $150 is way too high.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Seems to me that it is $50 per speaker (not per pair).

I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.
I have looked it over a bit better and it does not say for a pair. So, I think you are correct. However, either way it still would be a good deal. Certainly much better than a sound bar in the $100 range inmho. But, the Sony Cores when on sale would also be a viable option.

Cheers,

Phil

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I'm late to the party and haven't read the whole thread but figured what the heck, why not throw this one out there. It sounds damn good, has a decent amount of bass for what it is and it gets loud as all get out. I got one for next to nothing on eBay last year and use it for a computer in the basement. It's not cheap but if you check eBay you can find them often for around $150.00.

It's been out for years as well, this can be both good and bad I suppose.

Here is a video of the contraption.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/sb-120-tv-sound-system

Klipsch-SB-120_1.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
He hasn't gotten a sound bar yet. I'm still working him over to bump up is budget a little and get a decent receiver on the cheap and a pair of those AA's.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
He hasn't gotten a sound bar yet. I'm still working him over to bump up is budget a little and get a decent receiver on the cheap and a pair of those AA's.
If your friend is focused on a sound bar this one is getting some good press:

http://www.fluance.com/soundbase

I am not saying that I recommend this, but rather it would be something I would highly consider if I were determined to opt for a soundbar. Fluance does have free return shipping btw. Best wishes to your friend! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I gotta be honest. I heard that Vizio soundbar at BB and compared to the others I've heard (polk, denon, sony, jbl, klipsch) it sounded the best. I was actually pretty surprised considering how horrible every other soundbar I've heard sounds.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The receiver fell through. It's still available but it's a real pos, lol. Seen better days, that's for sure. However, since I'm such an awesome friend, I decided to donate my old Yamaha RX-V493 that I almost forgot I had in my garage. I wiped it down and hooked it up to my current setup and it still works just fine. There's a lot of dust buildup inside though, I'm afraid it might get hot prematurely. I even offered to pay shipping (to Ohio), if he promised to get some decent speakers! I question whether he's really heard good audio and I want to open his eyes a little.

Okay so this receiver needs some dust blown out and it's all analog (though it does have preouts). My friend has a modern tv with a cable/satellite box and an Xbox 1. He's planning to use the headphone out on his tv, convert to rca and go that route. Is there a better way to connect that receiver with modern equipment? Surround sound isn't even a thought at the moment. We're going for a nice stereo pair.

Also, am I correct telling him the aa's are about as good as it gets at the 200-ish price point? I've never heard them, but have seen plenty of praise about them.

T

Tankman

Audioholic
Just about any soundbar, should improved the audio. HDTV'S, at least the lower end units have maybe 10 watts output total. Most soundbars improve the soundstage some even come with DD if your HDTV doesn't

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The receiver fell through. It's still available but it's a real pos, lol. Seen better days, that's for sure. However, since I'm such an awesome friend, I decided to donate my old Yamaha RX-V493 that I almost forgot I had in my garage. I wiped it down and hooked it up to my current setup and it still works just fine. There's a lot of dust buildup inside though, I'm afraid it might get hot prematurely. I even offered to pay shipping (to Ohio), if he promised to get some decent speakers! I question whether he's really heard good audio and I want to open his eyes a little.

Okay so this receiver needs some dust blown out and it's all analog (though it does have preouts). My friend has a modern tv with a cable/satellite box and an Xbox 1. He's planning to use the headphone out on his tv, convert to rca and go that route. Is there a better way to connect that receiver with modern equipment? Surround sound isn't even a thought at the moment. We're going for a nice stereo pair.

Also, am I correct telling him the aa's are about as good as it gets at the 200-ish price point? I've never heard them, but have seen plenty of praise about them.
Connections all depend on what your receiver has and what his TV has. I assume this is an older receiver and has no optical/digital input for audio. If his TV is older, it may have composite RCA outputs (red and white for audio and yellow for video) in this case you can get the audio using the RCA, difference being that you would bypass the tv volume (on most TV's, some have a setting in the menus that will disable/enable volume control). Also, it is important to go into the audio setting of the TV and be sure any processing is disabled. Some of the synth virtual surround sound or X-bass system might pass on TV speakers will surely suck on a good system.

Among any speakers I have heard, the AA's are definitely the best speaker for a 2.0 system at their price point. Your friend will not miss a sub on these. If he hooked one up, then he would probably want to keep it, but the bass on the AA's is amazing for music! Of course the midrange and highs are very well balanced thanks to Murphy's crossover genius, but that is kind of a given for anyone who has been around here. IMHO, it is the bass that sets the AA's in a class of their own for the price.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Connections all depend on what your receiver has and what his TV has. I assume this is an older receiver and has no optical/digital input for audio. If his TV is older, it may have composite RCA outputs (red and white for audio and yellow for video) in this case you can get the audio using the RCA, difference being that you would bypass the tv volume (on most TV's, some have a setting in the menus that will disable/enable volume control). Also, it is important to go into the audio setting of the TV and be sure any processing is disabled. Some of the synth virtual surround sound or X-bass system might pass on TV speakers will surely suck on a good system.

Among any speakers I have heard, the AA's are definitely the best speaker for a 2.0 system at their price point. Your friend will not miss a sub on these. If he hooked one up, then he would probably want to keep it, but the bass on the AA's is amazing for music! Of course the midrange and highs are very well balanced thanks to Murphy's crossover, but that is kind of a given for anyone who has been around here. IMHO, it is the bass that sets the AA's in a class of their own for the price.
Kurt, I agree the AA's are the best at the price point but without knowing the construction type of the room I'd be careful to say they don't need a sub. I guarantee they won't do any justice in a room like mine on a concrete slab with a 12' vaulted ceiling, its bigger than pogres room and they would struggle there too. And who knows how he likes his music, and what kind too.
It's all good, just thought I'd mention that.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Kurt, I agree the AA's are the best at the price point but without knowing the construction type of the room I'd be careful to say they don't need a sub. I guarantee they won't do any justice in a room like mine on a concrete slab with a 12' vaulted ceiling, its bigger than pogres room and they would struggle there too. And who knows how he likes his music, and what kind too.
It's all good, just thought I'd mention that.
I am making this statement from the standpoint of his buddy who is not used to hearing a good system.
Also, I pointed out that if he heard a sub added he'd probably want to keep it, so we are in agreement.
Among inexpensive bookshelf speakers the AA's had me double checking that my sub was turned off way to often!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm shipping my old receiver to him today. His next purchase will be the AA Monitors. Just email Dennis from his site? Does he build them to order so there will be a wait? Also, what would be the best way to hook this thing up?

20170708_134841-1305x734.jpg

As you can see, there are no digital connections. He's planning to use the headphone out on his tv and convert it to rca. is there a better way? Neither his tv nor xbox 1 have analog outputs.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis